PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] splash screen/timeout minutes

Gustav521
April 22nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
I need help! I have clean installed Ubuntu 10.04. After every 10 min. or so of not

moving the mouse, I am asked for my password. How can I extend those short

min. to say an hour?? Also, at startup I do not have a splash screen only a black

screen for about 1min or so. How can I watch the splash screen at startup?? Thank

you. -gustav521

coffeecat
April 22nd, 2011, 09:21 PM
For the password issue, you need to stop the screensaver locking the screen. Go to System > Preferences > Screensaver and untick the box that says, "Lock screen when screensaver is active".

The black screen and no splash: have you installed a proprietary video driver from Additional drivers?

Gustav521
April 22nd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Thank you "coffeecat" for your quick response: your screensaver solution worked well! No,

I have not installed any new drivers. I have read that grub2 might not show the splash,

and that you have to intervene. I don't remember the solution! I had the splash with 9.04

"Jaunty", but with 10.04.... Thank you for any additional help! -gustav521

coffeecat
April 22nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
The reason I asked whether you had installed proprietary video drivers is that they can corrupt the "Plymouth" splash screen that has been used since Lucid/10.04. Jaunty used the completely different usplash so I doubt whether a fix for Jaunty would work in Lucid.

Perhaps someone else may be able to suggest how to fix your Plymouth splash. I don't know what else to suggest.

Gustav521
April 23rd, 2011, 02:37 AM
Hello again "coffeecat"! I do remember some talk re plymouth and the splash screen not coming up. "koala" ( http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f64/ubuntu-10-04-splash-screen-timeout-minutes-568367.html#post3232904 ) has just sent me this:

"Check in BIOS to see if there's a 'Quiet Boot' option.
If this is enabled, there will be a splash screen displayed during POST. If it's disabled, you will see the usual POST messages or a black screen."

I'll check it out and post here in a day. Hope this works! Thanks again!! -gustau521

Gustav521
April 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hello "coffeecat": I was wrong, it is not about the Plymouth splash screen at all! After the

Bios splash, there use to be a Grub (legacy) splash in Jaunty 9.04. Here in "Lucid" I am

getting a black screen for 45 seconds or so. After that I get the Plymouth splash. How can I

get all that info that is now "in the dark" to be seen?? -gautav521

coffeecat
April 24th, 2011, 09:00 PM
The grub "splash" you refer to I assume is the grub menu. If you are not seeing a grub menu in Lucid, you need to press the shift key (and keep it pressed) before the POST screen turns to a black screen. Thereafter, once you've selected your entry from the grub menu, expect to see a black screen for quite some time before the Plymouth screen appears, although 45 seconds does seem a long time.

Gustav521
April 24th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Hello "coffeecat": I saw th grub2 options page, and hit "e". In the grub2 edit menu page I see "splash vga=789" and "quiet splash". Should I do something to either one of these to get the visible splash?? And what should that be, delete?? Thank you, -gustav521