PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation is giving me troubles

GershiBelshi
April 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hello,
I am new to ubuntu and linux as a whole. Yesterday, I was trying to install ubuntu 10.10 alongside with my windows vista (dual-boot). On the ubuntu site, it said that the installation was easy, however, it gave me a lot of trouble. I first of all installed it on a USB as the instructions said on ubuntu.com. Everything went as it should and I was soon running ubuntu from my USB. Then, I decided to put it on my hard disk so I clicked the "download ubuntu 10.10" (or something like this) icon that appears on the desktop. It guided me through the steps. Then I got to the step were I have to choose the partition for the hard disk. I hesitated a little, so I decided to quit the installation and do some research online. Then, when I re-did the installation, there was no option to partition the hard disk. There were now only two options, either to overwrite the whole hard disk (which I'm not gonna do) or to set the partitions manually (which I don't think I'm advanced enough to know how to do this). There was no option to get the suggested partition size.

Anyway, so what I decided to do was to delete ubuntu from my USB and then try to reinstall it. However, once again, the suggested partition size option was not available. Then, I tried to give a shot to manually partitioning the hard disk, however, I was too scared to mess up.

Can anyone tell me how I can get the suggested partition size option back? Please, don't try to tell me how to manually do that, I want the automatic option. I really want to use ubuntu because I'm tired of windows and ubuntu just looks cool. I don't want to have to return to windows because of stupid reasons like this.

Thank you!

dino99
April 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
little howto:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

and more info with links below