PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot disk does not work

mlempenau
April 22nd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for helping. I'm sure there is something here that I want to learn. When windows was installed I could boot to a windows promp and then I could take out the cd or usb and install another one with a program and run it. Could someone explain why my computer bios will not let me do this now that I have a ubuntu load? I'm sure there is a logical explanation. Also maybe a work around? (It will run a windows or ubuntu install cd or usb but no simple boot disk.) Mike

mörgæs
April 22nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
I don't understand what this is about, sorry. Please explain again, step by step, what you are expecting and what is happening.

Forget the ******* part, just focus on Ubuntu.

mlempenau
April 25th, 2011, 02:45 AM
I have made a cd that will boot to a command prompt. I have also done the same thing with a USB stick. I did this with two cds and two sticks. One for ubuntu and one for windows. None will boot to a c prompt. The ubuntu ones after a short time send me to my ubuntu load. The windows ones give me an error. I am wanting a windows c prompt so I can load a windows program from a cd. When I try to use any of my cds with windows programs on them I get an error.

Hedgehog1
April 25th, 2011, 05:22 AM
It looks like you need to re-install or fix your Windows install, then.

Please create a new Windows Rescue disk (you can do this from Ubuntu) buy downloading the correct ISO for VISTA (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/) or WINDOWS7 (http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/)

Then burn the ISO to CD using your Ubuntu burning software. With any luck, this should give you a functional Windows Rescue disk so you can fix-up your windows install.

The Hedge

:KS

mlempenau
April 25th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I made the vista rescue disk and then tried to boot. I pressed F8 to get me to my bios boot menu. Clicked on the cd and after about 20 sec. it went to grub. Grub menu did not have anything about a cd so I pressed c and got a command line. If I have the correct info I should be able to use "ls" and get info. This did not work. Not sure what to do now? Thanks for helping. MIke

Rubi1200
April 25th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hi,

please do the following so we can see what is going on:

Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose the option "Try Ubuntu without any changes." Once the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Once downloaded, move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal and run the command

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here in a new post. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.