PDA

View Full Version : How much should I sell this netbook for?

user1397
April 22nd, 2011, 07:53 AM
I just bought a new laptop, and I have no more use for my old netbook.

It's a Dell Mini 10v, here are the main specs:

10.1" screen
Intel Atom 1.6Ghz processor
1GB RAM
16GB Solid-State Drive
Intel GMA 950 Graphics
3-cell battery
System76 super key ubuntu sticker (hehe)

So this netbook runs fine, the only real problem is that the battery sucks. It has deteriorated to the point where it basically lasts for a little over half an hour (yikes! i know that's bad, but a new battery would have cost about 1/3 or more the price of the entire computer, so i never got a new one).

I know netbooks are supposed to have long battery life, that's why I'm not looking to get much out of this one.

It cost me $279 without taxes or shipping, I bought it brand new from Dell during spring of 2010.

I'm thinking about trying my luck on craigslist, what selling price do you think I could get away with?

Copper Bezel
April 22nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Well, it's used, it's not a Mac, and there's basically no battery. Were I less broke at the moment, I'd personally pay ~$100 for a machine like that as a media center and a box to hack at (with the guarantee that it's not DOA), but the Ubuntu OS and the 16GB SSD are perks for my purposes, where they'd be drawbacks to a lot of the regular buyers on Craigslist. I wouldn't expect much, honestly, for something that a buyer could get new and without the battery problem for ~$200 with some careful shopping.

kostkon
April 22nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
$140.

Only the battery is bad.

user1397
April 22nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Yea that's about what I thought, ~$100-$150 range. I think I'll post it for $150 OBO, and if someone asks for anything in between 100-150 I'll be like SURE! :popcorn:

kerry_s
April 22nd, 2011, 09:06 AM
those are going for 150->200, so I would put it for 175 & put will consider all offers.

gnomeuser
April 22nd, 2011, 01:48 PM
100$ tops. Netbooks are in less demand and it is last generation ATOM. Also the machine design itself has been plagued by a number of issues and this is a used machine at that.

In this price range I don't really see anyone spending much on a used machine with largely outdated technology and a history of problems. There are better offers out there and the investment to get them is not that much more than buying used (at the above suggested 150-200$).. but ever so much safer for the consumer.

So at 100$ it is a good buy all things considered.

user1397
April 22nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
And just like that, boom, I just sold it.

That's probably the fastest I've sold something, ever. I got several replies, and one of them said they would pay as high as $125 (which was higher than what everyone else was saying) so I took it.

Copper Bezel
April 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Sweet! Glad to hear that it worked out. (I guess you mark the thread as Solved now?) = D

user1397
April 22nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Sweet! Glad to hear that it worked out. (I guess you mark the thread as Solved now?) = Ddone. :)