PDA

View Full Version : Developing MPI programs in Eclipse

Moohasha
April 22nd, 2011, 04:30 AM
I've played around with writing simple MPI programs in C, but now I'm trying to do something a little more complex in C++. I'm using Eclipse, but I keep getting compile errors when I try to compile.

I'm using MPICH2 and I've modified my project properties to use mpicc for the compiler. My code is very simple:

#include <iostream>
#include "mpi.h"

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
MPI::Init(&argc, &argv);
std::cout << "!!!Hello World!!!" << std::endl;
MPI::Finalize();
return 0;
}

Yet when I try to build I get the following errors:

**** Build of configuration Debug for project CppTesting ****

make all
Building file: ../src/CppTesting.cpp
Invoking: GCC C++ Compiler
mpicc -I/usr/include/mpi -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"src/CppTesting.d" -MT"src/CppTesting.d" -o"src/CppTesting.o" "../src/CppTesting.cpp"
../src/CppTesting.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
../src/CppTesting.cpp:14: error: no matching function for call to ‘Init(int*, char***)’
/usr/include/mpi/mpicxx.h:2697: note: candidates are: void MPI::Init()
/usr/include/mpi/mpicxx.h:2698: note: void MPI::Init(int&, char**&)
make: *** [src/CppTesting.o] Error 1

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Some Penguin
April 22nd, 2011, 04:53 AM
Re-read the error message, as it contains quite enough information.

schauerlich
April 22nd, 2011, 05:52 AM
Re-read the error message, as it contains quite enough information.

I'll even narrow it down for you:

../src/CppTesting.cpp:14: error: no matching function for call to ‘Init(int*, char***)’
/usr/include/mpi/mpicxx.h:2697: note: candidates are: void MPI::Init()
/usr/include/mpi/mpicxx.h:2698: note: void MPI::Init(int&, char**&)

Moohasha
April 22nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah, it was really late when I posted that. I fixed that really n00b bug and am getting the errors I MEANT to post originally. I'm on a different machine now, so I'll post that later...

Moohasha
April 26th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Ok, this is what I meant. As stated previously, I'm using the mpicc compiler (I've also tried with mpic++ and got the same error). I added /usr/include/mpi to the include paths, but I'm getting this error:

**** Build of configuration Debug for project CppTesting ****

make all
Building target: CppTesting
Invoking: GCC C++ Linker
g++ -fopenmp -o"CppTesting" ./src/CppTesting.o
./src/CppTesting.o: In function `main':
/home/david/workspace/CppTesting/Debug/../src/CppTesting.cpp:14: undefined reference to `MPI::Init(int&, char**&)'
/home/david/workspace/CppTesting/Debug/../src/CppTesting.cpp:16: undefined reference to `MPI::Finalize()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [CppTesting] Error

I feel like I'm missing something simple.

talonmies
April 26th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I feel like I'm missing something simple.
You are: the mpi libraries. Either link with mpicxx or explicitly add the MPI libraries to the link statement.

Moohasha
April 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Ah, I missed that those were link errors. I'm used to programming in Visual Studio where link errors look very different. I tried setting mpic++ as the linker tool (it was still set to g++) and specifically adding the path to the mpi libraries (/usr/lib), but that didn't change anything.

If I just run mpic++ from the terminal it builds and links just fine. It's just a pain having to switch back and forth, which is why I'm using an IDE in the first place. =P