PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing android

TimmyK.
April 22nd, 2011, 12:45 AM
Hi, I am giving Android a try as a virtual machine. I have downloaded an extracted "android-sdk_r10-linux_x86.tgz". Now what? Here are the instructional that came with it:

Welcome to the Android SDK!

The Android SDK archive initially contains only the basic SDK tools. It does
not contain an Android platform or any third-party libraries. In fact, it
doesn't even have all the tools you need to develop an application.

In order to start developing applications, you must install the Platform-tools
and at least one version of the Android platform, using the SDK Manager.

Platform-tools contains build tools that are periodically updated to support new
features in the Android platform (which is why they are separate from basic
SDK tools), including adb, dexdump, and others.

To install Platform-tools, Android platforms and other add-ons, you must
have an Internet connection, so if you plan to use the SDK while
offline, please make sure to download the necessary components while online.

To start the SDK Manager, please execute the program "tools/android".

From the command-line you can also directly trigger an update by
executing:
tools/android update sdk

So first of all, how do I install Platform-tools? Is this already somewhere in the downloaded package or do I have to download it somewhere else? Or do I just run the command Tools/Android in the terminal? After I do this, then what?

P.S. Once I've got Android, will it come with Angry Birds? I love that game! (But I'm to 'cheep' to buy it)

TimmyK.
April 22nd, 2011, 01:30 AM
So I ran android in the terminal. It opens "Android SDK and AVD Manager". Do I need to do anything once it opens, or does it do it all automatically?

Also, what sort of file do I need to create a virtual machine with VMware player? Will .iso files work? Were can I extract or download one for Android? Thank you.

TimmyK.
April 22nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
And I don't know if this means anything, but the 'add-ons' folder and 'platforms' folder are both empty.

So can someone please give me simple, step-by-step instructions on installing android?

TimmyK.
April 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
OK, I found I made a mistake, instead I downloaded liveandroidv0.2usb.iso.002 and liveandroidv0.2usb.iso.001 here (http://code.google.com/p/live-android/downloads/list). And according to the 'readmefirst' file that came with it, it says:

linux: cat liveandroidv0.2.iso.001 liveandroidv0.2.iso.002 > liveandroidv0.2.iso
How do I do this? Enter a command in the terminal? Or is this the command?

TimmyK.
April 22nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Hmm, I tried typing this in the terminal and it said:

'cat' - no such file or directory
So what do I do? Or can the liveandroidv0.2.iso.001 and/or liveandroidv0.2.iso.001 do the job? I need a bootable file, like an .iso file. Will the two above work?

Does this thread have a curse on it? Why is nobody answering?