PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] slow speed for apt-get or any updates

bardminz
April 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Hi,

I have a very strange problem. The download speed drops dramatically a few seconds after I start apt-get actions (from 100 K/s to 1k B/s). I'm using Comcast with a 100k-200k normal download speed. I've tried automatically selecting the source but ubuntu fails finding any best one. The one in use is osuosl.org, which is ok if I update my system at school.

Does anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks in advance,
XL

bardminz
April 27th, 2011, 07:03 AM
bump

It bothered me a lot. Could anyone shed some light here? I can paste some log file although am not sure about which one.

Yellow Pasque
April 28th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Where are you located? Open Synaptic, Settings -> Repositories, and it will quickly let you change what mirror you use. Try different ones.

bardminz
April 28th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Where are you located? Open Synaptic, Settings -> Repositories, and it will quickly let you change what mirror you use. Try different ones.

I'm in Seattle. I tried several different ones. Same issue. I also tried automatically selecting one but the system failed to find a suitable one.

RJARRRPCGP
April 28th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Hi,

I have a very strange problem. The download speed drops dramatically a few seconds after I start apt-get actions (from 100 K/s to 1k B/s). I'm using Comcast with a 100k-200k normal download speed.

For Comcast, unless you have the rare "economy" service, you should be at least 11 Mbit sustained, on fast mirrors, especially the MIT one.
(And start off at around 30 Mbit.)

And 1.6 Mbit (200 KB/s) is like the worst DSL!

bardminz
April 28th, 2011, 05:17 AM
For Comcast, unless you have the rare "economy" service, you should be at least 11 Mbit sustained, on fast mirrors, especially the MIT one.
(And start off at around 30 Mbit.)

And 1.6 Mbit (200 KB/s) is like the worst DSL!

Surprisingly, the MIT one does work for me this time! I did try several different ones (that I used to work fine with), none of which worked before. Then I stopped trying and started thinking about what's wrong with my connection.

Actually, comcast claimed that my service is 15 Mbps. But 200k/s is kind of normal in my case.

Thanks for all who replied!

Rephiscorth
May 15th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I'm having the same Issue, Im getting like 40-50KBps but it should be over 400KBps. I tried changing the sources.list and removing the 'us.' in the URL.

gonna try changing the mirror.