PDA

View Full Version : What are you posting this from?

Antarctica32
April 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Thought it would be a good idea for a poll. I posted this from a laptop, specifically my IBM thinkpad t30 which I found in the trash. You don't have to reply, your vote alone is enough. But you are by all means welcome to reply if you wish. I think this will be interesting. sorry for not having more options, you can only have 10.

samalex
April 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM
I generally either post from my System76 laptop or DroidX. I really wish Ubuntu Forums and other similar forums would offer an NNTP connection into the forums since that would REALLY be awesome. Then I could use Alpine to connect and post via command line :)

Hmm, I guess the Poll was added after I replied, but it shows 64-bit Desktop and Laptop as separate items. I use a 64-bit Laptop :)

Antarctica32
April 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM
then just vote laptop now

Fedz
April 21st, 2011, 09:45 PM
My desktop is 64bit but, I use 32bit Ubuntu & same with the laptop :)

forrestcupp
April 21st, 2011, 09:50 PM
I post from my laptop. If someone would come up with an Android app, I'd be posting from my smartphone. As it is, it's too much of a pain to navigate these forums on a smartphone browser.

Somebody come up with an Android app for the forums!

You don't have to reply, your vote alone is enough. But you are by all means welcome to reply if you wish.
If nobody replies, it will just get lost in the ocean and no one will see it to vote. ;)

Spice Weasel
April 21st, 2011, 10:05 PM
16 bit desktop *hipster*

Antarctica32
April 21st, 2011, 10:25 PM
I post from my laptop. If someone would come up with an Android app, I'd be posting from my smartphone. As it is, it's too much of a pain to navigate these forums on a smartphone browser.

If nobody replies, it will just get lost in the ocean and no one will see it to vote. ;)

Good point. The only reason I said that was because I thought that when people read the question they would think they would need to post cuz the question asks, what are you posting this from. You have a good point and I did think about that. Should I edit my post and take it out?

Throne777
April 21st, 2011, 10:29 PM
I'm disappointed 'TRON' or 'GLaDOS' weren't options :(

Antarctica32
April 21st, 2011, 10:57 PM
Yeh sorry I forgot those... Oh and I also forgot posting by TARDIS, I mean how else is the Doctor supposed to access the internet.

Throne777
April 21st, 2011, 11:28 PM
Yeh sorry I forgot those... Oh and I also forgot posting by TARDIS, I mean how else is the Doctor supposed to access the internet.

He asks a Dalek very nicely to check his emails for him.
The whole 'evil Dalek' thing is just a conspiracy cooked up by the oppressive & tyrannous humans like Steven Moffat who are trying to further their own galactic schemes.

RiceMonster
April 21st, 2011, 11:31 PM
A 64 bit laptop.

Shmantiv_Radio
April 21st, 2011, 11:32 PM
Netbook.

kostkon
April 21st, 2011, 11:46 PM
HP netbook.

gnomeuser
April 22nd, 2011, 12:31 AM
Currently my 64 bit ATOM nettop, very happy with it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 22nd, 2011, 01:05 AM
I'm not sure the 16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit options actually add anything to the poll.

Most of the time I post using my 64-bit laptop.

When I am traveling on business, I post from a 64-bit Mini-Notebook (aka Netbook). The laptop is just to big and heavy for traveling.

If I am backing up the laptop, upgrading the OS or hardware of the laptop, or in someway make the laptop difficult to use, I will post from one of the desktops I have.

I never use one of my servers to post; because, that requires booting into "init 5" or posting from the command line, and I am not sure it is possible to post from the command line.

mamamia88
April 22nd, 2011, 03:10 AM
Posting this from my Debian netbook right now.

HappinessNow
April 22nd, 2011, 03:14 AM
Other: Google Chromebook (CR-48)

Khakilang
April 22nd, 2011, 04:46 AM
I post from my 64bit desktop although I have other 32bit desktop which I sometime use to test other Distros.

Copper Bezel
April 22nd, 2011, 04:53 AM
I don't know that that CR-48's an "other". It's a Linux 32-bit laptop with some bits taken out.

I use a netbook. Switching from seven pounds and fifteen inches to two and a half and ten was a pretty nice upgrade for a machine with the same specs as my old laptop. I've had my Eee for about a year now and haven't encountered any limitations; it's very rare that I actually sit down at my desk to jack in an external monitor, and it's daily that I'm reading online in bed or in line for my morning coffee (usually with the display in portrait orientation.)

Antarctica32
April 22nd, 2011, 04:56 AM
He asks a Dalek very nicely to check his emails for him.
The whole 'evil Dalek' thing is just a conspiracy cooked up by the oppressive & tyrannous humans like Steven Moffat who are trying to further their own galactic schemes.

I couldn't agree more. Believe it or not Steven Moffat is really The Master.

pony-tail
April 22nd, 2011, 04:58 AM
Posting from an aging 64 bit nForce 5 - Phenom 2.5 ghz Quad core based system Using Ubuntu 10.04 lts . It is my primary machine hence the lts Ubuntu . Not the best out there but has been a good stable work horse .

CraigPaleo
April 22nd, 2011, 05:41 AM
64 bit desktop.

When I'm away from home, I surf on my phone but usually wait to reply when I have access to a standard keyboard.

Antarctica32
July 7th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Posting from an aging 64 bit nForce 5 - Phenom 2.5 ghz Quad core based system Using Ubuntu 10.04 lts . It is my primary machine hence the lts Ubuntu . Not the best out there but has been a good stable work horse .

Aging!? Im posting this from a single core 32bit P4 3.0Ghz with 512 DDR1 that I found at a junkyard. I would trade mine for yours anyday, except for your CPU only being 2.5. But its probably a lot better at watching movies with that quad core! When I grow up and I actually make money, I'm going to buy a real computer. It will have i7 extreme edition clocked at 3.5 and it will actually be a server so it is going to have 2 i7s. And cuz its a server it will have 30GB DDR3 with hyperthreading. And it will have 3 Blue-Ray RW drives and an 8 inch floppy drive and a 5.25 and a 3.5. And it will have 2 frontal fire wires and 4 frontal USBs and it will be liquid cooled in a see-thru case. And I will get 3 40 inch screens, or one of those wrap-around screens from samsung, I can't decide. And it will have suround sound as well.

</rant>

hhh
July 7th, 2011, 07:14 PM

There is one, it's called Tapatalk. It works with Android, iPhone, Windows Mobile 7, WebOS and Blackberry devices. You could request that UF implements the plugin...
http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

cariboo
July 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
There is one, it's called Tapatalk. It works with Android, iPhone, Windows Mobile 7, WebOS and Blackberry devices. You could request that UF implements the plugin...
http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

There will be no new features enabled until after the forum upgrade.

Noz3001
July 7th, 2011, 09:18 PM
64bit Laptop isn't there so I can't vote.

MBybee
July 7th, 2011, 09:37 PM
A 64 bit laptop.

Yet another for this option :)

When you have a Core i7 and 8GB of RAM in a laptop... it sorta blurs the distinction.

wizard10000
July 7th, 2011, 10:41 PM
My netbook, which is where 90% of my computer work is done - but I've tricked out the netbook about as far as I can.

It's an HP (Compaq-branded) Mini 110 with 2GB RAM, a 60GB OCZ Agility 2 SSD, bluetooth, and I replaced the original Broadcom 4312 WLAN card with an Intel 6200 a/b/g/n card. Don't try this at home - HP whitelists internal WLAN cards in BIOS - at least on this model.

And I use GMABooster to crank the video chipset up to 400MHz from its default power-saving 166MHz.

Uncached, LibreOffice Writer launches in 9 seconds, Chromium in about three. I wouldn't wanna render video on the thing but I can ssh into the i7 desktop and render video there :)

I have successfully made a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I've turned off a buncha stuff in KDE and the thing uses about 190mb of RAM at idle. The netbook is a reasonably competent laptop now and it's portable as heck.

wizard10000
July 7th, 2011, 10:42 PM

When you have a Core i7 and 8GB of RAM in a laptop... it sorta blurs the distinction.

The spousal unit has a shiny new i7 laptop. Too bad she runs Windows :(

Antarctica32
July 18th, 2011, 02:50 AM

Must be huge. I really don't like huge laptops or even the standard notebook size like 15". I am more of a netbook guy myself. I have never had any major problems with not having enough specs in a laptop to run a program. I feel like I can do practically anything on 1-2Gbs RAM with at least a 1GHz slightly respectable processor. Only problem I have with netbooks is lack of optical drive. Sometimes I like to watch a Star Trek or a Doctor Who that I have on DVD. Thing is, most of the time now I have internet practically everywhere I go. And If I really need to use a DVD/CD I can always use an external USB drive if I need to. I don't really like tablets either, because i guess I just like to have a classic desktop UI for easy multitasking cuz I'm always doing more than 1 thing.

christopher.wortman
July 18th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Windows 3.1

Dustin2128
July 18th, 2011, 03:01 AM
My shiny new debian 6 pentium II 450MHz desktop :twisted:.

Bandit
July 18th, 2011, 03:01 AM
64bit Linux..

ilovelinux33467
July 18th, 2011, 03:03 AM
64 bit desktop running Fedora 15.