PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 desktop initial update runs forever

sean.zhou
April 21st, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hi,

Yesterday I downloaded 10.10 desktop version and burned an image to a CD. After installed to a Dell Dimension E510 machine successfully (I wiped out windows completely), the first update found 315 items to update. After downloaded, ubuntu asked to reboot the machine. Since then, the machine is stucking on the ubuntu startup screen. I suppose it is applying the updates; however, it has been over 12 hours. Is it normal to take that long?

ajgreeny
April 21st, 2011, 09:13 PM
No it is not normal. All the updates would have been installed before the reboot, and it may well be a new kernel that is causing your problem, or a graphics driver, so as a start, reboot again, buit hold shift when you power on and you should get the grub menu appear. From that choose the older kernel from the list, probably the third line down in the list, and see if the system will still boot into that. If it does come back again and we'll see what else can be done to help.

sean.zhou
April 22nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
No it is not normal. All the updates would have been installed before the reboot, and it may well be a new kernel that is causing your problem, or a graphics driver, so as a start, reboot again, buit hold shift when you power on and you should get the grub menu appear. From that choose the older kernel from the list, probably the third line down in the list, and see if the system will still boot into that. If it does come back again and we'll see what else can be done to help.
Thanks ajgreeny. It worked as you instructed.