PDA

View Full Version : Time for Google Chrome to be the default browser?

Shmantiv_Radio
April 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM
Having spent some time using both Firefox 4 and Chrome in Unity, the current unstable version of Chrome (12.0.742.0 dev) just fits in so much better. The Firefox global menu hack isn't great, as you can't right click and delete a bookmark for instance, and if you delete a bookmark it still stays in the bookmark menu until the browser is restarted.

Just my opinion, but I doubt I'm alone in it.

scottykal12
April 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM
I like the fact that Chrome has a single bar for search and web addresses but I would like to beable to switch between what site I use to search (Google, Youtube, Wiki...) like Firefox, and Firefox is starting to get a little bloated.

I really have no preference. I usually end up putting both on anyways. (Hint: add a no preference choice)

Shmantiv_Radio
April 21st, 2011, 06:15 PM
(Hint: add a no preference choice)

I can't see a way to add options.

leviathan8
April 21st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Chromium is a lot more intuitive and usable, but lacks some add-ons that Firefox excels at. However, one thing that annoys me in Chromium is the fact that I have to input my system's password in order to unlock the keyring to visit websites that I have a stored a password on. I do not know if this issue is only present for me, but Chromium is still a lot better and faster. I always use Chromium to play flash files (youtube, flash games), because Firefox clumsy. :p

Elfy
April 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM
I can't see a way to add options.

I added the option for you.

Shmantiv_Radio
April 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM
I added the option for you.

Thanks.

bomanizer
April 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM
I voted "no", but the again I have ditched all browsers for epiphany.

Edit: huh? Double post, how do I delete?

polardude1983
April 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM
I vote yes, but it won't happen. I was a long time fan of Firefox. but after being in chrome for so long. Firefox just looks bloated to me now. /shrug

3Miro
April 21st, 2011, 06:29 PM
Chromium beats FF 3 hands down, however, FF 4 is another story. I am considering going back to FF, as I am using both browsers a lot. I think Ubuntu is OK to stay with FF 4 (it is not like Chromium isn't available with one click).

Elfy
April 21st, 2011, 06:30 PM
I voted "no", but the again I have ditched all browsers for epiphany.

Edit: huh? Double post, how do I delete?

You can't.

I did.

el_koraco
April 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
I say no, simply because Chrome has all the momentum going for it, and someone needs to keep the old panda alive :D

Rasa1111
April 21st, 2011, 06:32 PM
Chromium is what I use daily..
But I still chose No for the poll.
FF just seems a better fit.
Even though I hardly ever use it anymore. :lol:
I really dislike using something from "google", but it works the best..
So I use it. lol

I was a long time fan of Firefox. but after being in chrome for so long. Firefox just looks bloated to me now. /shrug

lol, Same here.

Maheriano
April 21st, 2011, 06:37 PM
Chrome is a resource hog, it uses more memory than any of the other browsers. Otherwise I think it's great.

chessnerd
April 21st, 2011, 06:45 PM
Well, given that Canonical tries to include only open-source programs in their default programs, Google Chrome is unlikely to ever be the default. Chromium could be, but not Chrome.

Regardless, I feel that Firefox is a better default. It is still better supported by more websites, it is just as standards compliant, and Firefox 4 is, for the most part, just a sleek and fast as Chrome is.

Given that Firefox 4 is so much faster, with so much more HTML5 support, when compared Firefox 3.6, I don't see any good reason to move away from Firefox. The web surfing experience is no better under either browser and Firefox is still considered one of the best examples of open-source software.

malspa
April 21st, 2011, 06:49 PM
I mainly use Chromium, and I use Google Chrome sometimes. Rarely Firefox anymore. But I voted "no." If the question was, "Time for Chromium to be the default browser?" I think I'd vote "yes."

leviathan8
April 21st, 2011, 06:50 PM
I can't really decide which browser hogs my memory more. If I leave firefox opened no more than 1 hour, with 2 tabs, I get up to 1,2 GiB RAM usage. I mostly use Chromium for playing flash games, because of better performance, and I get up to 2,2 GiB RAM usage, from a total of 3,9 GiB. Is this normal?
And regarding to the HTML5 test, it comes out that Chromium has a lot better support for it. Go ahead and check this website: http://html5test.com/ with both browsers.

uRock
April 21st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Chrome is nice and faster, but it is incompatible with some of the sites I frequent. My vote is "No".

chessnerd
April 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM
And regarding to the HTML5 test, it comes out that Chromium has a lot better support for it. Go ahead and check this website: http://html5test.com/ with both browsers.

Chromium scores 293 and Chrome scores 288, which is only slightly better than Firefox's 255 and Opera's 258. When compared to IE9 (130) Firefox 4 is still way ahead in standards compliance.

Also, HTML5Test has it's limits...

[HTML5Test] does not try to test all of the new features offered by HTML5, nor does it try to test the functionality of each feature it does detect.

Copper Bezel
April 21st, 2011, 07:02 PM
Firefox is open source and the standby browser on every platform, so it makes sense as a default. (Personally, I use Opera for browsing and Chrome for video; I don't remember the last time I actually ran Firefox to do something, other than to mess with some or another feature or extension I'd heard about.)

mmsmc
April 21st, 2011, 07:03 PM
ff4 looks like it is taking on the look of chromium, eventually i believe that ff will take the pros of chromium and have the pros of ff, best browser

3Miro
April 21st, 2011, 07:19 PM
I mainly use Chromium, and I use Google Chrome sometimes. Rarely Firefox anymore. But I voted "no." If the question was, "Time for Chromium to be the default browser?" I think I'd vote "yes."

I just noticed that it said Google Chrome. For Chromium I vote keep FF, for Google Chrome, I say HELL NO!

Including proprietary drivers may be a necessity or practicality, there is no excuse for including a default proprietary browser as it doesn't really give you anything on top of Chromium and Firefox.

Shmantiv_Radio
April 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM
I just noticed that it said Google Chrome. For Chromium I vote keep FF, for Google Chrome, I say HELL NO!

Including proprietary drivers may be a necessity or practicality, there is no excuse for including a default proprietary browser as it doesn't really give you anything on top of Chromium and Firefox.

I did actually think about putting Chromium, but then I considered the fact that most causal/normal users have more than likely only head of Chrome, and if Canonical did change the default browser, Google Chrome is a well known name with mind share, Chromium en masse isn't.

operatorace
April 21st, 2011, 07:52 PM
Chrome : The Botnet

No. Google isn't for freedom, which is what Linux is.

uRock
April 21st, 2011, 07:57 PM
chrome : The botnet

no. Google isn't for freedom, which is what linux is.

fud

operatorace
April 21st, 2011, 07:59 PM
fud

Say that when Google itself has said they don't are about your privacy when it comes to installing Chrome on your computer. They also have not implemented the Do Not Track feature, and are being questioned by the FCC regarding the issue.

uRock
April 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM
Say that when Google itself has said they don't are about your privacy when it comes to installing Chrome on your computer. They also have not implemented the Do Not Track feature, and are being questioned by the FCC regarding the issue.

Really? Proof?

Blasphemist
April 21st, 2011, 08:08 PM
The choice should be between chromium and ff in my opinion. I would choose chromium but not chrome over ff.

ugm6hr
April 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM
.... if Canonical did change the default browser, Google Chrome is a well known name with mind share, Chromium en masse isn't.

True - particularly for OS switchers - familiarity of FF is a comfort blanket for transition from Windows etc. Chrome may soon offer the same.

Chromium doesn't do itself any favours by lacking an identity of its own - the icon looks like a monochrome Chrome.

Maybe time for an EU Windows-like browser choice at first connection online...

3Miro
April 21st, 2011, 08:55 PM
I did actually think about putting Chromium, but then I considered the fact that most causal/normal users have more than likely only head of Chrome, and if Canonical did change the default browser, Google Chrome is a well known name with mind share, Chromium en masse isn't.

And windows is a well known OS, so lets use that!

No! GNU/Linux stands for software freedom. Ubuntu stands for software freedom. Firefox and Chromium are projects that respect the rights of the users, they respect software freedom. Google Chrome is proprietary piece of software that does not respect the rights of the users. Google Chrome does not stand for freedom.

If you want to use Google Chrome, go ahead. However, it should not be the default browser of any system claiming to respect software freedom.

neu5eeCh
April 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM
When blogging at WordPress.com, Google is, weirdly, an incompetent disaster. FF3 and FF4 are both, hands down, far superior to Chrome. For instance, Chrome won't let me resize images and it's terrible, in general, when working on posts. I would stick with FF.

BrokenKingpin
April 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM
Chromium should be the default. The fact that new distro releases are running the Firefox 4 beta shows that previous versions were absolute crap... and since the latest version of Firefox is still in beta why not go with Chromium.

spirit.986
April 21st, 2011, 09:36 PM
I simply don't know.. somehow the Firefox for Ubuntu isn't what it is as Firefox for Win...

I really don't know why i have that gut feeling.. but just something is wrong with it... you see you may laugh at me for this one... but "there is this dark side that i feel coming from Firefox... and it is just the Ubuntu version"... I think that the Firefox development team isn't paying enough attention to it like it and it is focusing more on the Win version...

Back in my Win days i was more of a Firefox type.. now i am using Chrome almost 99% of my browsing... I use Firefox only when i have to test that the CSS is rendering equally on all of the browsers..

P.S.
And haven't noticed anything different for Chrome... it is the same Chrome

Fedz
April 21st, 2011, 09:40 PM
My default browser on windows is SRWare Iron (Chromium) & thankfully is available in Ubuntu - so to me it's identical down to the theme.

I avoid FF & Google Chrome like the plague so never use 'em on either OS :)

Personally I think Chromium should be default as it's more fitting to the cause of Ubuntu/linux :D

areteichi
April 21st, 2011, 09:44 PM
Chromium should be the default. The fact that new distro releases are running the Firefox 4 beta shows that previous versions were absolute crap... and since the latest version of Firefox is still in beta why not go with Chromium.

Where have you been for the past month? :p

Throne777
April 21st, 2011, 10:04 PM
Before FF4, I would have agreed to the change without hesitation, FF 3 sucked.
However, since the hardware acceleration introduced in FF4, I've found page rendering & whatnot in FF4 runs rings around Chromium.
I've also found FF4 to be a lot more stable (Chromium crashes a hell of a lot if you put it under -some- pressure, or at least in my experience).
Only thing Chromium wins on by a sizable margin is boot time, but I can live with that.

Derxst
April 21st, 2011, 10:15 PM
Does there need to be a default browser? Can't a user select their own?

Didn't Microsoft get into a bunch of trouble some years ago by forcing a default browser? I know they won, but still.

Throne777
April 21st, 2011, 10:26 PM
Didn't Microsoft get into a bunch of trouble some years ago by forcing a default browser? I know they won, but still.

Microsoft changed Windows 7 installation in Europe because they came under fire for pushing IE (users are instead offered a choice of 12 popular browsers).

The difference between MS & Ubuntu having a default browser is that MS is pushing their own product. With Windows, the browser can be total garbage (which, coincidentally...), but users are stuck with it (and many users won't really know anything about browsers and will stick with what they're given) because MS are pushing their own product. It's in their interest to make consumers use their programs.
With Ubuntu, it's about which browser is best for their users. It has the user in mind. Hence there can be discussion about whether to switch to Chromium as the default because some think it's a better browser than FF4.
It might still be a better option to let users decide (just as I think it's a nice touch for the suse installation to get you to choose which GUI you want, providing information on both when you do), but it's not an obvious anti-competitive, market stifling move when Ubuntu do it (as opposed to MS).

areteichi
April 21st, 2011, 10:26 PM
Does there need to be a default browser? Can't a user select their own?

I don't know which one you're referring to, but they certainly didn't in Europe.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7266629.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8096701.stm

benerivo
April 21st, 2011, 10:45 PM
Chromium has better performance but Firefox has better gtk integration. I'd go with chromium with an ubuntu theme installed as default.

Shmantiv_Radio
April 21st, 2011, 11:01 PM
67% prefer Firefox?

Wow.

areteichi
April 21st, 2011, 11:27 PM
67% prefer Firefox?

Wow.

Well, it has partly to do with the way you phrased the poll. It fails to distinguish Chromium from Chrome. From what I can gather, those who wish to have Chromium as the default browser have opted for NO, even though they weren't actually supporting Firefox.

Shmantiv_Radio
April 21st, 2011, 11:30 PM
Well, it has partly to do with the way you phrased the poll. It fails to distinguish Chromium from Chrome. From what I can gather, those who wish to have Chromium as the default browser have opted for NO, even though they weren't actually supporting Firefox.

Well I did kind of explain that in an earlier post but you do have a point.

3Miro
April 22nd, 2011, 02:17 AM
Microsoft changed Windows 7 installation in Europe because they came under fire for pushing IE (users are instead offered a choice of 12 popular browsers).

The difference between MS & Ubuntu having a default browser is that MS is pushing their own product. With Windows, the browser can be total garbage (which, coincidentally...), but users are stuck with it (and many users won't really know anything about browsers and will stick with what they're given) because MS are pushing their own product. It's in their interest to make consumers use their programs.
With Ubuntu, it's about which browser is best for their users. It has the user in mind. Hence there can be discussion about whether to switch to Chromium as the default because some think it's a better browser than FF4.
It might still be a better option to let users decide (just as I think it's a nice touch for the suse installation to get you to choose which GUI you want, providing information on both when you do), but it's not an obvious anti-competitive, market stifling move when Ubuntu do it (as opposed to MS).

Also, under windows, you cannot uninstall IE. Under Ubuntu, you can completely remove FF and put whatever you want in its place.

HappinessNow
April 22nd, 2011, 03:12 AM
I agree with post that Firefox has become too bloated.

Chrome is not only my default browser but Chrome OS; on my CR-48, has become my default OS.

That said; for Ubuntu, Chromium would be a better choice for a default browser.

polardude1983
April 22nd, 2011, 05:14 AM
i agree with post that firefox has become too bloated.

\\:d/

P1C0
April 22nd, 2011, 10:02 AM
I switched to Chromium a few months ago, because having 3-4 flash based tabs open in Firefox or Opera was maxing my CPU. With Chromium I can have a lot of flash based tabs open and it feels as if I have only one tab open. So the multiple process approach really helped on that matter.

I also like the minimalistic look of it.

smellyman
April 22nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Chromium eats RAM like candy for me.

Also until it gets zoom text only I will never use it.

or3x
April 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
The main reason for sticking with FF is undoubtedly the Awesomebar, it's more than awesome, it's Legend- wait for it, Dary! Somehow it always finds what I'm looking for.:o

I think chrome/chromium is great,however there's one thing i can't stand with it; you have to triple-click to select all text in the URL bar, firefox does this too in ubuntu, but at least there you can change it in about:config.

HappinessNow
April 24th, 2011, 02:52 AM
\\:d/?

andriansah
April 24th, 2011, 03:04 AM
chrome should be default browserin ubuntu i think

aysiu
April 24th, 2011, 03:15 AM
In my experience, Chrome is buggy as all hell. Sometimes it won't fill in passwords even if you have asked it to save passwords (and you can go in and see them in the saved passwords list). No way to encrypt those passwords either. If you open 20 tabs at once from a bookmark folder, it asks every time if you really want to do that (Firefox gives you the option to turn off that warning). Same deal with visiting a site with a mismatched domain certificate (Firefox warns you the first time but allows you to create an exception per site, and Chrome warns you every single time).

I like the fact that Chrome has a single bar for search and web addresses but I would like to beable to switch between what site I use to search (Google, Youtube, Wiki...) You can already (and have always been able to) use the main address bar in Firefox for both search and typing URLs.

I've given Chrome a chance on Windows XP, Windows 7, Mac OS X, and Ubuntu. It doesn't live up to the hype. I'm not going to stop other people enjoying it, but I haven't seen any of the "speed" people keep talking about, and I've just found the interface annoying to use (I like my tabs opening on the far right, which Firefox can do with a single about:config entry, and the only way to change it on Chrome is with an extension created by who knows that doesn't operate exactly the same way).

More detailed list on why I don't get the Chrome hype:
The extension that makes Google Chrome bearable (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/the-extension-that-makes-google-chrome-bearable/)

Link also contains a list of things I like about Chrome, but I'm not going to repeat them here, since Chrome seems not to be lacking in love in this thread.

More details on the annoying "Are you sure?" bookmark behavior of Chrome:
Chrome fails again back to Firefox (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/chrome-fails-again-back-to-firefox/)

To be clear, I'm not bashing Chrome, and I don't want this to turn into a "Chrome's better" or "Firefox is better" thread. I just see way too much "Chrome is awesome" "Chrome is faster" "Chrome is more intuitive" propaganda and want to balance it out a bit. I can't be the only one with a bad Chrome experience.

CraigPaleo
April 24th, 2011, 04:40 AM
... Firefox has better gtk integration.

Thanks to SUSE and kmozillahelper, Firefox also has better KDE integration.

spcwingo
April 24th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Chrome, no. Chromium, maybe.

benjamimgois
April 26th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I really trust the mozilla foudantion and i think they are one of the most importante and competent opensource foudations we have in present time. Right now firefox is way behind chrome, It's slow and the interface isn't that slick. I really hope next firefox versions become better so i can switch back to it, but right now, chrome is a way better browser.

beew
April 26th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Right now firefox is way behind chrome, It's slow and the interface isn't that slick. I really hope next firefox versions become better so i can switch back to it, but right now, chrome is a way better browser.

What are you talking about? Have you installed firefox 4? I too don't get the hype about chrome. Its interface is ugly to say the least and firefox is infinitely extendable with all its addons, my second browser is Opera.

el_koraco
April 26th, 2011, 09:39 PM
To be clear, I'm not bashing Chrome, and I don't want this to turn into a "Chrome's better" or "Firefox is better" thread. I just see way too much "Chrome is awesome" "Chrome is faster" "Chrome is more intuitive" propaganda and want to balance it out a bit. I can't be the only one with a bad Chrome experience.

Chrome is swiftly becoming a hipster's browser, and that is quite annoying. I had used it on and off since late beta stages in Windows, and for that time, it was really something new and exciting, not to mention speed comparisons with the early Firefox, IE6, or that joke Safari. Probably its greatest achievement is that it motivated Mozilla to do something about the old panda, and boy did they do it.

Now if only FF didn't look so fugly in KDE...

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
April 26th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Microsoft had to be dragged in front of court before offering their costumers a simple choice of browser. Can Ubuntu learn from their mistake, or will we be stuck with having whatever Mark thinks is best for us by default? I, for one, would be extremely uncomfortable with having Google Chrome installed by default. The Chromium Project browser, maybe, but even that's a stretch. Why not enter a few simple, optional choices in the installer?

Compare:

1.)Hi, welcome to Ubuntu! We normally include these great pieces of Free Software in an install, do you agree with this choice or would you prefer something else?

2.)This is Canonical. You now like using the following software. Enjoy your brief stay. Feel free to blame Linux as a whole for our incompetency.

uRock
April 26th, 2011, 10:23 PM
What are you talking about? Have you installed firefox 4? I too don't get the hype about chrome. Its interface is ugly to say the least and firefox is infinitely extendable with all its addons, my second browser is Opera.

Firefox 4 is still way slower than Chrome on my machine.

3Miro
April 26th, 2011, 10:53 PM
The biggest difference between IE in windows and FF in Ubuntu is that in Ubuntu, you can remove FF and replace it with whatever you want. In Windows, you can use something other than IE, but you can never remove it.

I remember some time ago Mandrake had an option on the installer for "individual package selection". Does Ubuntu alternative install have this? Other than Arch (and well, Gentoo), I don't think I have seen this in an installer for quite some time (can't remember about Slack). Then people will be happy.

_outlawed_
April 26th, 2011, 10:58 PM
The biggest difference between IE in windows and FF in Ubuntu is that in Ubuntu, you can remove FF and replace it with whatever you want. In Windows, you can use something other than IE, but you can never remove it.

Actually you can remove it. Disabling it via Add/Remove Windows Features will remove IE just about completely except for some excess small files.

aguafina
April 26th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I use FF4 and have seen Chrome vs FF4 tests and Chrome comes out top but I'm unsure or better yet untrust worthy of Google and what Chrome actually sends back to Google. not that I've anything to hide.

aguafina
April 26th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Plus Chrome is on ver 10 and only 2 years old, this compared to other browers does'nt add up, it feels like Google fudged the numbers to make Chrome look well established

el_koraco
April 26th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Plus Chrome is on ver 10 and only 2 years old, this compared to other browers does'nt add up, it feels like Google fudged the numbers to make Chrome look well established

What do you mean fudged the numbers? They're just using a 1, 2, 3 instead of a 1.1.15 numbering system, and have short release cycles. Hell, their sucess with Chrome has brought FF to a more aggresive release schedule, and even the lazies at Microsoft have started pushing IE on a much faster release schedule.

aguafina
April 26th, 2011, 11:46 PM
and even the lazies at Microsoft have started pushing IE on a much faster release schedule.

LoL

Johnsie
April 26th, 2011, 11:48 PM
There should be NO default browser. Give the user the choice at install time. Why should we be like the Microsoft of old and push a default browser on everyone? We should have a 'choose your browser' screen just like on Windows, because that is the fair way to do things. It took MS years to get that right, but eventually they did in the end. Let the user decide.

el_koraco
April 26th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Btw, Ubuntu should be shipping Epiphany installed by default next to Firefox. They're a Gnome distro, and Epiphany is not only the default Gnome browser, but in desperate need for some love.

uRock
April 26th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I say give the user the choice at install time. Why should we be like the Microsoft of old and push a browser on everyone?

Firefox has the best compatibility. Chrome doesn't work with Yahoo Mail.

uRock
April 26th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Btw, Ubuntu should be shipping Epiphany installed by default next to Firefox. They're a Gnome distro, and Epiphany is not only the default Gnome browser, but in desperate need for some love.

That'd just be one more thing to the already long uninstall list, but I wouldn't complain.

_outlawed_
April 26th, 2011, 11:55 PM
That'd just be one more thing to the already long uninstall list, but I wouldn't complain.

I'd like to see your uninstall list. :D

HappinessNow
April 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM
In my experience, Chrome is buggy as all hell. Sometimes it won't fill in passwords even if you have asked it to save passwords (and you can go in and see them in the saved passwords list).

I have never experienced this or many of the problems you list, using Chrome in Chrome OS, OS X, Windows, or Ubuntu.

For many years I was a devoted Firefox user, but unfortunately Firefox has become completely unusable or just a pure pain in the backside. For Firefox the thrill is gone, it has simply gone away. I would use Opera over Firefox if Chrome wasn't around.

Fortunately Chrome is here, and growing by leaps and bounds every day in satisfied users. It is interesting to note at the University I attend the majority of the student body in my major use OS X and the majority those users use Chrome. Just a plain unscientific observation.

el_koraco
April 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM

C'mon, if it weren't so Gnome "we now what's best for you and will be taking out useful features at random" annoying, Epiphany would be the kickassiest browser out there.

Warpnow
April 27th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Firefox has the best compatibility. Chrome doesn't work with Yahoo Mail.

What if you run it with the user-agent different?

aguafina
April 27th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I have never experienced this or many of the problems you list, using Chrome in Chrome OS, OS X, Windows, or Ubuntu.

For many years I was a devoted Firefox user, but unfortunately Firefox has become completely unusable or just a pure pain in the backside. For Firefox the thrill is gone, it has simply gone away. I would use Opera over Firefox if Chrome wasn't around.

Fortunately Chrome is here, and growing by leaps and bounds every day in satisfied users. It is interesting to note at the University I attend the majority of the student body in my major use OS X and the majority those users use Chrome. Just a plain unscientific observation.

But FF "just works"

You have to manually maximise Chrome.

Chrome is not fully web compatable.

earthpigg
April 27th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Chromium for netbook edition, Firefox for desktop.

IMO.

painting broad strokes,
-People are less likely to be using advanced FF features on a netbook, and efficient software is more valuable than fully featured software.
-Desktop is likely to be installed on more powerful systems, wherein features are more valuable than speed.

I'm biased, though. If I took a screenshot of my netbook at any given time, it would probably be of chromium taking up the entire screen except 2 pixels reserved for lxpanel on autohide.

cgroza
April 27th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I can't really decide which browser hogs my memory more. If I leave firefox opened no more than 1 hour, with 2 tabs, I get up to 1,2 GiB RAM usage. I mostly use Chromium for playing flash games, because of better performance, and I get up to 2,2 GiB RAM usage, from a total of 3,9 GiB. Is this normal?
Mine never goes over 130 MB!

cgroza
April 27th, 2011, 12:23 AM
There should be NO default browser. Give the user the choice at install time. Why should we be like the Microsoft of old and push a default browser on everyone? We should have a 'choose your browser' screen just like on Windows, because that is the fair way to do things. It took MS years to get that right, but eventually they did in the end. Let the user decide.
That doesn't worth an extra question at install time. It makes it user unfriendly they say.

linuxyogi
April 27th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I am stuck with FF because of two addons.

1) noscript

2) netvideo hunter

net video hunter is an addon which lets you download flash videos from almost any web site & not only youtube.

Does anybody here knows about any news of these two getting included in Chrome ?

user1397
April 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM
One annoying thing I find about chromium/chrome is that once in a while for seemingly no reason my profile will become corrupt, and I have to go into the program folder and delete the current profile and start fresh. I've had to do this both on ubuntu and on windows. If I was an average user I probably wouldn't know how to easily fix this, so I would surely become frustrated and find an alternative.

Also the fact that live bookmarks are very hackish in chrome as compared to firefox where they feel native and work well. For example, I like looking at the live BBC news feed in firefox, and I usually open a few articles one right after another by clicking on the scroll wheel to open them in new tabs and then proceed to reading them. If I do this in chrome, each time one of the news pages has completely loaded, the live bookmarks close, so I have to reopen them and browse again. It also doesnt stay in place of where you were when you last clicked on them, unlike firefox.

Man, why don't I use firefox? I'm think I'm gonna switch back now...

klytu
April 27th, 2011, 12:49 AM

You're not the only one and I agree with the vast majority of your comments about this.

kostageas
April 27th, 2011, 05:02 AM
It actually doesn't matter to me because I use both at the same time. Firefox for my main stuffs, and Chrome for FBRP (PM if you want to find out more), so I can be on both accounts at once.

wojox
April 27th, 2011, 05:19 AM
People have a hard enough time with Flash and Chrome fails miserably at this.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 27th, 2011, 05:25 AM
People have a hard enough time with Flash and Chrome fails miserably at this.
Since when. I've had much fewer problems with Chrome and Flash then I ever did with Firefox and Flash. Which is to say...I've had no problems with Chrome and Flash.

wojox
April 27th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Since when. I've had much fewer problems with Chrome and Flash then I ever did with Firefox and Flash. Which is to say...I've had no problems with Chrome and Flash.

Go to cbs.com and play a flash show. NCIS is my favourite. :P

Jagoly
April 27th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Firefox has more extensions.

Edit:
I was writing this on a friends computer and had to use ie8. I had written a speech on my opinion of FF/chrome, and I'd crashed. Took me 10 minutes and I was to lazy to write it again. and sorry it didn't seem as flamey when I was writing it. Should of mentioned my situation.

3Miro
April 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM
What would you say if someone posted (seriously):
"I love IE8! It's so fast, stable, minimalistic and standards compliant!"

Unless MS has recently come up with a Linux version of IE, then I don't see how this has anything to do with the discussion. Are you just trying to flame people?

NikoC
April 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Most of the time I use Chromium, sometimes when website elements are not displayed correctly or are unusable I switch to Firefox.

But for me it does not really matter which browser is installed by default, I always customize my installation to my own needs anyway.

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I personally like chrome better, what I would like is a way to remove Firefox entirely however all that happens when I try to remove it, is that epiphany gets installed......

I don't want either, but it seems Ubuntu doesn't allow you to have neither!

halovivek
April 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Yes.. Firefox is little bit slow comparing to Google chrome .

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Yes.. Firefox is little bit slow comparing to Google chrome .
And a lot more crashy. And when chrome crashes just a tab crashes, with firefox, the whole dang browser is dead

user1397
April 27th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I personally like chrome better, what I would like is a way to remove Firefox entirely however all that happens when I try to remove it, is that epiphany gets installed......

I don't want either, but it seems Ubuntu doesn't allow you to have neither!? what do you mean if you try to remove firefox epiphany gets installed? that doesn't even make sense...

3Miro
April 27th, 2011, 01:11 PM

I don't want either, but it seems Ubuntu doesn't allow you to have neither!

I just tried it on 10.04, FF packages don't depend on epiphany, you can uninstall FF and replace it with Chromium.

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 01:36 PM
not so on 10.10 uninstalling ff triggered epiphany install and vice versa....

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
? what do you mean if you try to remove firefox epiphany gets installed? that doesn't even make sense...
try it.....

uRock
April 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I have removed Firefox in the past, then decided to reinstall it without this issue happening. I just told Synaptic to remove Firefox and it showed nothing being installed and I have had Epiphany installed since Karmic.

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I have removed Firefox in the past, then decided to reinstall it without this issue happening. I just told Synaptic to remove Firefox and it showed nothing being installed and I have had Epiphany installed since Karmic.
heh, was that on 10.10? I thought it was just a buntu thing.... I am upgrading to natty now, will have to see if its still doing it then......

rosswmcgee
April 27th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Having spent some time using both Firefox 4 and Chrome in Unity, the current unstable version of Chrome (12.0.742.0 dev) just fits in so much better. The Firefox global menu hack isn't great, as you can't right click and delete a bookmark for instance, and if you delete a bookmark it still stays in the bookmark menu until the browser is restarted.

Just my opinion, but I doubt I'm alone in it.

These browsers are both nice, but not as comprehensive as Opera. With Opera

you can get your email, it is a one stop shop.

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 04:32 PM
These browsers are both nice, but not as comprehensive as Opera. With Opera

you can get your email, it is a one stop shop.
Opera is nice I have that installed as well, just not a primary browser

uRock
April 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM
heh, was that on 10.10? I thought it was just a buntu thing.... I am upgrading to natty now, will have to see if its still doing it then......

Yes, that was in 10.10. 11.04 does the same in that it only removes FF and doesn't install anything.

3Miro
April 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Some light on the subject:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=501131

Epiphany uses Mozilla's Gecko engine, which is not available as a separate package. So you need to have Firefox installed to use Epiphany. There's nothing that can be done about it until Mozilla starts distributing Gecko separately from Firefox.

There is some question on whether Gecko can be separated, but apparently it is not.

aysiu
April 27th, 2011, 07:37 PM
And a lot more crashy. And when chrome crashes just a tab crashes, with firefox, the whole dang browser is dead
Yeah, that's what Google said when they announced Chrome, but I haven't found that to be the case in day-to-day use.

In the past year, I've had neither browser crash on me.

Before that, only Chrome would "crash" (not actually Chrome, but the Flash plugin) and then on every single tab, not just one. Never in Firefox.

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Flash is a pain, the thing with chrome is though you can go to tools task manager and just kill flash, then its just a matter of refreshing the tabs that have flash content, with firefox its a browser restart

aysiu
April 27th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Flash is a pain, the thing with chrome is though you can go to tools task manager and just kill flash, then its just a matter of refreshing the tabs that have flash content, with firefox its a browser restart
Again, sounds great in theory.

In my experience, Firefox just doesn't crash any more. It was very crashy in the 0.7-1.5 stages and even in the early 2 stages. Since Firefox 3 and 4, I haven't had any browser crashes.

I don't care about having to restart my browser after a crash if the crash never happens. What I do care about is having to enter my password every time after I've already told the browser to remember the password or the passwords being stored in plain text with no option to encrypt.

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 09:10 PM

In my experience, Firefox just doesn't crash any more. It was very crashy in the 0.7-1.5 stages and even in the early 2 stages. Since Firefox 3 and 4, I haven't had any browser crashes.

I don't care about having to restart my browser after a crash if the crash never happens. What I do care about is having to enter my password every time after I've already told the browser to remember the password or the passwords being stored in plain text with no option to encrypt.
Well I actually did have FF crash last week when I was using it, I used open with and /usr/bin/evince and the second time when I went to do it crashed trying to load up everything in /usr/bin. But yah FF4 is a lot better browser than previous version (well 1 and 2 I honestly found pretty solid) 3 was a disaster

I still prefer Chrome though since I don't want to risk losing my work because of some flash video crashing.... Besides Chrome at least on my system is a heck of a lot more responsive.

BTW I do not seem to b having that weird issue any Firefox/Epiphany with natty, so problem is resolved anyhow on that front :D

Throne777
April 27th, 2011, 09:35 PM

Past couple of days I've had FF4 crashing (quitting itself at random) for no apparent reason. 'Tis a bit odd.

Still prefer it to Chromium though. Chromium had slightly more intuitive tab management, but other than that, FF4 comes out top (oh, and initial load up, but I'm not too fussed about that)

3Miro
April 28th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Yeah, that's what Google said when they announced Chrome, but I haven't found that to be the case in day-to-day use.

In the past year, I've had neither browser crash on me.

Before that, only Chrome would "crash" (not actually Chrome, but the Flash plugin) and then on every single tab, not just one. Never in Firefox.

I don't think Flash supports the different instances of Chromium. In my experience, a bad flash crash, creates a global crash in Chromium.

Two instances of Flash can slow down each other on both Pentium Dual Core + Intel HD graphics AND AMD Phenom II X4 (4 cores) + FOSS ATI deriver. I haven't really seen this on Nvidia, but I haven't done careful investigation.

This is a flaw in Google's design, but I don't think it is Google's fault. Flash SUX. Adobe SUX even on Windows, every update of Adobe Reader would require you to reboot even on Windows 7. If I had the power, I would outlaw this company for the garbage that they produce.

el_koraco
April 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Anybody notice how sweet the new Chrome icon looks in real life?

HappinessNow
April 28th, 2011, 11:29 AM
But FF "just works"

Firefox "just never works!"...by the time I am waiting for Firefox to load I can open both Chrome and/or Opera do everything I need to do and be off the computer.

Using Firefox is like using dial up

Spice Weasel
April 28th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Firefox "just never works!"...by the time I am waiting for Firefox to load I can open both Chrome and/or Opera do everything I need to do and be off the computer.

Using Firefox is like using dial up

Haha. You've probably never used dial up then.

The fastest dial up speed is around 48.0 kbit/s.

I get 9mbit/s using Firefox 4.

edit: I am also using only a low end dual core processor and it starts in less than a second.

tjeremiah
April 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Google Chrome ?! Heck no. If that was to happen, ill just delete it and use Firefox. Chrome and its features/addons, in my opinion, arent better than Firefox and its features/addons.

Throne777
April 28th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Haha. You've probably never used dial up then.

The fastest dial up speed is around 48.0 kbit/s.

I get 9mbit/s using Firefox 4.

edit: I am also using only a low end dual core processor and it starts in less than a second.

God, I don't miss dial up at all. I remember getting hold of a single song via Napster (back in the day :p) took a few hours, or loading old flash videos virtually took an afternoon (anyone remember Xiao Xiao?).

Also, how the hell are you getting FF4 to load up that quickly? I haven't heard anyone who's reported it loading that fast. I'm using a dual core, 2.1ghz, & it takes about 3 seconds or more to load. Chromium takes less than a second.

bkerensa
April 28th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Google Chrome for the win.

Frogs Hair
April 28th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I like Opera , but keep a the Nightly FF development release also. I think the nightly build may be a little faster , but both browsers perform well when it comes to video.
As a user , I have little say in what Ubuntu developers choose use as default applications. The only time I have see any poll result in change was with the ugly wallpaper in 10.10. I have spent little time with Chrome , so I can't say if it better than what I am using .