PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade from 32bit to 64bit?

chrisutnubu
April 21st, 2011, 06:04 PM
Hi

I'd like to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit ubuntu. Is it possible without reinstalling the whole system?

chris

oldos2er
April 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
No, you need to do a new install.

scottykal12
April 21st, 2011, 06:24 PM
If you are trying to use 11.04 you can pick the option to upgrade which will allow you to save everything and still upgrade to 64 bit.

Is there a certain reason you want to upgrade? More programs run better in a 32bit anyways. I can't think of a reason you would want to upgrade, unless you are switching or upgrading anyways.

Blasphemist
April 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
Scotty may well be right about the point in doing this but I did it. Backup your home directory first. Then when you install choose the upgrade option and it will try to carry forward your files and settings.

tgm4883
April 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM
If you are trying to use 11.04 you can pick the option to upgrade which will allow you to save everything and still upgrade to 64 bit.

Is there a certain reason you want to upgrade? More programs run better in a 32bit anyways. I can't think of a reason you would want to upgrade, unless you are switching or upgrading anyways.

That is still technically a fresh install. I've not seen a way to upgrade from one arch to another