PDA

View Full Version : i"m learning dvorak ....

barbedsaber
April 21st, 2011, 05:52 PM
... and it's quite hard, but every sentence i type is a little bit faster.

I did a typing test before I started, and averaged 54 wpm on qwerty
hoping i can top that soon.

wish me luck :)

aaaantoine
April 21st, 2011, 06:12 PM
Good Luck. I've half-heartedly tried learning Dvorak twice now and it hasn't stuck.

forrestcupp
April 21st, 2011, 08:28 PM
Now you'll suck at typing on every computer but your own. :)

SushiR
April 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM
If you're used to 10-finger-typing, Dvorak has NOTHING in advance...

samalex
April 21st, 2011, 08:50 PM
Nice! I tried learning it years ago, but I just never stuck to it. Maybe some day if for no other reason then to be different :)

barbedsaber
April 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble with hotkeys
Ctrl+C, Ctrl+T, etc

I've found that a lot of these keys are set up so they are in easy to reach places on the keyboard (and in particular, they are very close to the edge), Can anyone suggest a workaround for this, to make it less awkward (other than, "manually change every hotkey in every program you use to the original position on the keyboard")
I'm also using qwerty for gaming, because I don't want to have to remap all my keys, it brings up some awkward situations when I try to chat in game though :P

CraigPaleo
April 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Have you tried Colemak (http://colemak.com/)? It's supposed to be a little better than Dvorak while staying as close to QWERTY as possible.

I love Dvorak but I would have learned Colemak if I had known about it ten years ago.

Aside from remapping or setting keys, there's nothing you can do but just learn the new way.

I would urge you not to forget QWERTY. People can switch between them at will. I let myself forget and now I look like an idiot when I'm at someone else's computer. It's inconvenient too.

Random_Dude
April 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
This reminded me of the first panel.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/not_enough_work.png

cgroza
April 22nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
I started 1 month ago. The first week I fest like my brains are twisting but after that you start gaining fluidity.
Now I think I am at 85 percent of my qwerty speed (which by the way, I forgot it already).
I have to admit I have less stress on my hands now, I was starting to have pains with the old qwerty layout.