PDA

View Full Version : How do you use the internet?

Linux_junkie
April 21st, 2011, 04:29 PM
Just a simple question to ask how you, the ubuntu user, how you use the internet and do you sit at your computer all day every day?

Myself I mostly frequent these forums and check e-mail and read news and sport online thats basically it. Apart from getting new software / updates and getting info on things I'm finding the internet boring!

Lucradia
April 21st, 2011, 05:39 PM
I frequent these forums, check emails, use Pidgin to role-play. I am mainly using ubuntu until my new motherboard, better processor, new HDD are all put in. Then I'll be getting Windows OEM disk (Professional.)

I'll still use Xubuntu on the netbook though.

sydbat
April 21st, 2011, 05:42 PM
Pr0n. Visit here and a few other tech related forums, email, Pr0n, work related research, Pr0n, etc.

weasel fierce
April 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM
Instant messaging to talk to friends
Google various information
Read a couple web comics I like to follow
Follow forums like this one
Watch video reviews of a few video game and movie guys (AVGN, Spoony, zero punctuation)
Download linux indie games as they show up and I buy them

Zero2Nine
April 21st, 2011, 05:54 PM
Wasting time reading forums, other ubuntu/computer sites, news sites, football sites, looking up information irrelevent to what I should be doing on wikipedia.

leviathan8
April 21st, 2011, 06:00 PM
Playing a cute flash game with mice, called Transformice.

Shmantiv_Radio
April 21st, 2011, 06:10 PM
use Pidgin to role-play.

Wut?

polardude1983
April 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
Check e-mail, twitter, and Ubuntu forums, Yahoo Answers, and Star Wars Galaxies forums. sometimes check www.thedentedhelmet.com.

Play star wars galaxies. Look up stuff about Ubuntu or new apps or games. Occasional youtube stuff, skype, make free calls with Google voice. look up tips or hacks for some apps. Talk to friends on Mangler (Linux ventrillo client). Pretty much it i think.

Dragonbite
April 21st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Read news, blogs and forums. Research programming issues I come up against. Communicate with a couple of groups/organizations I work with.

Lucradia
April 21st, 2011, 06:45 PM
Wut?

As in, with OTHER PEOPLE.

RiceMonster
April 21st, 2011, 06:55 PM
What the **** is the internet?

Maheriano
April 21st, 2011, 07:02 PM
I own a software development business so I mostly use my computer, about 10 hours a day, to work on my client sites and software.

- Chrome to view the changes
- Filezilla to upload files
- Chrome to view database (might switch to Workbench)
- gEdit - make code changes

I don't use it for much more except watching some television shows.

Zero2Nine
April 21st, 2011, 07:14 PM
I own a software development business so I mostly use my computer, about 10 hours a day, to work on my client sites and software.

- Chrome to view the changes
- Filezilla to upload files
- gEdit - make code changes

I don't use it for much more except watching some television shows.

And to reply on Ubuntuforums.org apparently ;)

irv
April 21st, 2011, 07:44 PM
To answer this question all I have to do is look at all the tabs I have open. I check the weather, Answer emails and mark up my calendar, use facebook, this forum, Bible Gateway, and Blue Letter Bile, I keep Google Translate open for doing some translating. I use Onelook Dictionary, Pay bills, do some Online Banking, Watch movies. Do research. Do some web design. Host some sites. Maintain my Server. These are the main things I do. I don't play many game, but I do like Mahjongg and Shisen-Sho and Klondike. I am on the computer a lot. I have a laptop and I take it everywhere I go. In fact I am on it now in a coffee shop while my wife does some shopping. When I travel around I am always looking for a wifi connection.

Dragonbite
April 21st, 2011, 08:02 PM

Huh?:confused:

Derxst
April 21st, 2011, 09:13 PM
Forums
Retro Gaming
Working on my websites that make me money.

spirit.986
April 21st, 2011, 09:22 PM
Mastering the skills of PHP programing;
Since I installed Ubuntu i often come here at the forums to learn as much as i can about this great OS with the hope that I will master the Linux servers as well;
Googling various types of other software/hardware related problems to help myself and my friends...
Wasting 1/10th of the rest of the time on FB and MSN Chat...
If I am not out with my friends them I am on my PC.. 6 - 15 hours a day...

samalex
April 21st, 2011, 09:28 PM
Here's my little list :

Listen to streaming audio, mainly Pandora and live streams)
Downloading ebooks, audio books, and fan fiction stories
News and Weather
Download Podcasts... listen to about 15 hours worth each week)
I'm a DBA so spend lots of time researching and learning
Learning PHP, C#, Obj-C, and some others for various projects
Surfing when bored
Reddit