PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity - I love it, so far.

Oranges10e
April 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Unity is awesome.

What I like:

+ Fast, simple and sexy.

+ Works great so far. Sure, a bit buggy at times, but it's getting there.

+ I didn't like Gnome-Shell with the new Gnome, that I tried out from a USB stick. I kinda got lost with it. To me, as a user coming from Windows and OSX, this feels "right".

+ Something fresh. I know a lot of ppl (mostly the geeky kind on those tech-savy forums) don't like the idea of Canonical not using G3 and Shell, but I do. A lot of ppl were against having prop. software on Ubuntu or being able to download it from within. I liked the idea. A lot of ppl don't mind all the tearing Compiz has and how buggy (in a dozen cases on my testing side) it is with certain hardware. I do. So, I am often the opposite, but that's fine. I represent the "normal" user, switching from other mainstream OS's :P

+ 2D version. THIS is nice. A good way to ensure everyone can use it.

What I don't like:

- Based off of Compiz. I just hate Compiz. Sure, neat effects, but I find it slow, buggy and teary most of the time (NOT so in Unity/11.04, talking about older versions here). I have had SO many headaches with it and it was the reason why ppl came to me for Ubuntu and the reason ppl left it. I don't like their forums, either. I wish Wayland the best of luck!

- Can't move it around. I would like to have this at the bottom of the screen, like on seven.

Tha's all. So, keep it going, Canonical! Thanks.

Now, for the near future, give me a movie-store, some prop. software (or some pushing of big Open Source alternative projects, GIMP, KDENLIVE etc.) to load from the Software-Center and two or three majors games (money can buy almost everything) for Ubuntu/Linux and I am sold for sure.

FARTEN! :guitar: :popcorn:

Oranges10e
April 22nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
Just a quick little thing, that I just noticed. I see this as a HUGE step for Ubuntu:

(What I like more)

++ The Nvidia drivers were activated and installed @default on my machine - AWESOME! So, Install Ubuntu (while installing updating) and you're ready to use it! No more trying to find out how basic things work.

++++ (This one has made me go NUTTS, I really mean it, over the last few years, using Ubuntu) Unity is using Compiz, what I don't like that much, BUT Vsync is actually working so far! I was using Unity on an Intel GMA so far, where Vsync was working out-of-the-box, too. I figured, okay, this has been working for some time now, since newer Intels drivers support KMS (?). But how shocked was I, when I figured, that it is working for my Nvidia Laptop as well ____ out-of-the-box____ ! THIS is awesome and EXTREMLY user friendly. Honestly, this alone makes me use Ubuntu as my primary system once again. At least now I can watch videos and online stuff, without videos tearing to hell. At least NOW I can do those full-screen presentations, without having to let the ppl watching run out, because of the bad tearing.

THANKS CANONICAL, THANKS UBUNTU.

:KS:KS:KS:KS/:KS:KS:KS:KS stars from me.

PS: Where can I post, to let the devs know I love this (besides the forums that is).

Copper Bezel
April 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
I doubt that Canonical would mind a bit of fanmail directly. = ) There's also a section on this board (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103) specifically for testimonials, good or bad, so you might want to share your experience there.

While I'm not using Unity, I agree that Ubuntu has taken leaps and bounds in terms of usability lately! = D I'm always impressed with the little tasks that used to be a hassle and just work after an upgrade.

anandkumar44
April 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Unity is the way to go.

Oranges10e
April 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
I doubt that Canonical would mind a bit of fanmail directly. = ) There's also a section on this board (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103) specifically for testimonials, good or bad, so you might want to share your experience there.

While I'm not using Unity, I agree that Ubuntu has taken leaps and bounds in terms of usability lately! = D I'm always impressed with the little tasks that used to be a hassle and just work after an upgrade.

YES - both of you. I just cant write how much this means to me. You see, I have been trying, pushing, commenting, going mad,... about this over the last few years. As a new user, I really didn't understand WHY certain things were not fixed or updated yet. NOW you can actually FEEL and SEE the jump. Way to go, Ubuntu!

I am waiting for the release of 11.04 and will upgrade our Computers to Ubuntu again. I was using XP on them, as the primary OS, for the reasons mentioned above and a few more. This step will give Ubuntu the comeback it deserves, for doing something very, very awesome and right - especially nice for NEW and fresh users. Not even Windows 7 is as user-friendly as this baby now.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I already posted in someones topic called: "Awsome." Listen, why don't you post there, too (both of you)? Our gratitude has to be shown. I will post this on as many forums and topics as I can.

I always felt like; "They are good ppl, Kal-EL, they only lack the light to show them the way. For that reason, above all, I have sent them you, my only son."

I can see that light now in Ubuntu. :KS

Krytarik
April 23rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
Happy that you are happy! :D

As I followed various threads of you, I can really compassion how much that means to you, and Ubuntu!
That seems to be a tremendous step forward.

However, there are still a lot of issues and bugs to be ironed out yet, "teething problems", like called in another thread.

Greetings.

ottosykora
April 24th, 2011, 02:29 PM
well unity, yes, but there seem to be no way to configure it, it looks to me just something static.
Or are there some instructions somewhere as how to set the whole thing up?

For example:
there are no more menus, OK. To start an app, one needs to go with this icon for apps search? The a black screen appears with some hugged icons on it. Can this be configured so it does not appear black but somehow more decent, bright, white or so?
Can this be configured so the apps are listed in kind of column instead of being spread all over the screen?

And can the icons on the left side be made smaller? They are so big, take 10percent of the screen.

pauljwells
April 24th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Unity is absolutely the right way forward. Ubuntu/Canonical/SABDFL have this RIGHT. This is the first release and it's already pretty good. 11.10 will be superb. 12.04 (with wayland) will be better still. Ubuntu has to be the most innovative distro, that's its job. All the additional configuration options people say they want will come in the next release - it takes a lot of effort to code and test all the many permutations so Ubuntu just want to get the basic system out there to start with.

In two years' time, unity will be accepted as standard and no-one will miss what we had before.

ottosykora
April 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM
what I just get known: unity and gmome3 uses zeitgeist framework. This is real security and privacy problem.
There is no way one can do without however if continuing with ubuntu.
This will probably mean finish with ubuntu on all my computers.

It looks as all world is moving towards some systems where all is known , registered and stored and as an excuse enhanced 'features' for the user are given.
Then all is at the same level as the other big players in OS market.

Krytarik
April 25th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Doesn't that mean in reverse that you can't use any OS at all?

Gnome ended the development of Gnome 2 and every Linux distribution that uses it is therefore forced to phase it out, and use Gnome 3 instead, or develop an alternative, like Canonical did with Unity.
Windows is ...well... Windows.
Apple has, too, a history of "user surveillance".
Not to mention Google.
I don't know about the state of KDE though, if it uses Zeitgeist or not, maybe you should check that out.

Greetings.

ottosykora
April 25th, 2011, 10:05 PM
>Doesn't that mean in reverse that you can't use any OS at all?<

this is exactly the point

so far many people came to use linux just because they feld here more comfortable.
Now the open source comunity starts to make all the same mistakes and definitely wrong things as the 'competitors'.
Why all nonsense, but money making ideas created by competitors have to be picked up and implemented , this is the major question.

And why are people forced to have the logging/surveillance software on their computers just to be able to start some innocent apps? User are not allowed to use the unity gui unless they keep the logging software operational. What has the simple gui to do with the data logging function?

Krytarik
April 25th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Why all nonsense, but money making ideas created by competitors have to be picked up and implemented , this is the major question.
Because of the same reason complex "desktop search" tools are being developed; because the majority of users are either lazy or unable to track their used apps/docs, and they are asking for them.

For example, one feature I took note of is that the most often used apps are listed prior to the less used ones in the launcher, apparently (I didn't use Unity myself so far). For this feature, that you may well know from the Windows start menu, Zeitgeist is needed. And that is only one example, I really don't know what else features are needing Zeitgeist.

ottosykora
April 26th, 2011, 06:26 AM
in fact I have not met someone who was asking for such search system, it is rather the other way around, we have no choice as to accept them, we get them packed as 'feature' .
MS started to distribute such things very long time ago, I have so far not met any windows machine since w98 having this feature enabled. Neither private nor at work.

If you think abt the power of the feature noting down how much you use what, this is then same as google is trying, but at the os level.
Nice example is when unity is telling you not only what you use, but what you still do not use and suggests you what you might (or should?) use.
Imagine what power this has. Anything can be placed there, sooner or later most users will click on that... what ever it will be.
In browsers, lot of people are trying to produce addons to filter the associative advertising of google on websites , here you have it directly in the desktop gui and can not do much about it except to change the os... which is not possible since the next one has even more of that rubbish.

Krytarik
April 26th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Nice example is when unity is telling you not only what you use, but what you still do not use and suggests you what you might (or should?) use.
Imagine what power this has. Anything can be placed there, sooner or later most users will click on that... what ever it will be.

Is that the case? I really don't know, since, like I said, I didn't use Unity so far.

Even if it is, anything that might be "offered" there is installed at your system, because it's just a re-ordering of menu items. So, if you install malware at your system, it's your own fault.

ElSlunko
April 26th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hey! You're not allowed to like Unity! Haven't you heard it's completely clumsy and unusable! (Sarcasm).

Glad you like it. I'm pretty much on the same page except for your comments on Compiz.

stinkeye
April 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM
what I just get known: unity and gmome3 uses zeitgeist framework. This is real security and privacy problem.
There is no way one can do without however if continuing with ubuntu.
This will probably mean finish with ubuntu on all my computers.

It looks as all world is moving towards some systems where all is known , registered and stored and as an excuse enhanced 'features' for the user are given.
Zeitgeist isn't spying on you, it's there to improve the user experience
and if you don't like it you will be able to determine what it logs.
Privacy settings are coming to Zeitgeist (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/privacy-settings-are-coming-to-zeitgeist/)

ottosykora
April 26th, 2011, 08:23 PM
>Even if it is, anything that might be "offered" there is installed at your system, because it's just a re-ordering of menu items. So, if you install malware at your system, it's your own fault.<

mistake, this is offering *not* installed apps, it will offer them again and again, each time you want start some software you have already installed, you will get a list of 'suggestions' of software you still dont have on your computer and big brother thinks you should have them. If you install them , next list of further software will be placed in front of you any time you want open any other app.
It is just bunch of icons and you are all the time invited to install them. It is like on some of those very bad websites telling you that if you want speed up your computer, you should click here...

ottosykora
April 26th, 2011, 08:26 PM
>Zeitgeist isn't spying on you, it's there to improve the user experience
and if you don't like it you will be able to determine what it logs.<

the fact that it is collecting anything without any substantial reason is spying. As it can not be switched off, well it can , but then the whole gui is useless too, is the real problem. Temporary, we can use 'classic', but how many months? Soon there will be so 'urgent security update' which will wipe all useful things away and install adware/spyware and we are back to 'big competitors'.

'to improve user experience' , well I have read that somewhere as statement from 'some kind of fruit company'(Forest Gump), so the loop is closed again

It looks like its time to plan a move away from linux, or simply tra to keep some old versions going until the hardware dies or so. Will try go back to xubuntu first probably hoping there will be some basic gui available slightly longer and if not , well there is no point then investing time in complex installation of linux system when computers come with similar operating system preinstalled already.

Krytarik
April 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM
mistake, this is offering *not* installed apps, it will offer them again and again, each time you want start some software you have already installed, you will get a list of 'suggestions' of software you still dont have on your computer and big brother thinks you should have them. If you install them , next list of further software will be placed in front of you any time you want open any other app.
It is just bunch of icons and you are all the time invited to install them. It is like on some of those very bad websites telling you that if you want speed up your computer, you should click here...
So, are you saying that it is really the case?
Or is it just hypothetical nonsense?

ottosykora
April 30th, 2011, 11:00 PM
So, are you saying that it is really the case?
Or is it just hypothetical nonsense?

This is really the case, you can not open any app without this kind of advertising being presented

Opening an application will in any case lead to a black screen, full of icons of apps you have already installed so you can click on an icon and the app will start, and bellow 'suggested' apps you should (according to whom ever) install.

I call that unwanted advertising, well if google is allowed to do so, why not everybody?

stinkeye
April 30th, 2011, 11:54 PM
This is really the case, you can not open any app without this kind of advertising being presented

Opening an application will in any case lead to a black screen, full of icons of apps you have already installed so you can click on an icon and the app will start, and bellow 'suggested' apps you should (according to whom ever) install.

I call that unwanted advertising, well if google is allowed to do so, why not everybody?
Bit wound up aren't we.
Advertising ...PFFFT.
There just random apps from the repos and if I see something that looks interesting or I haven't seen before I click on it and get taken to the software centre to be able to read a description.
If it's really so disturbing to you, start your apps using the Super key or put them on the Unity bar or get yourself a launcher like "kupfer".
You can find kupfer by hitting Super+a and ....ohhh no don't go there!!! :shock:

retbak
May 1st, 2011, 12:37 AM
found it difficult to find positive threads about unity (i'm not a regular on these boards) but I just want to say how impressed I am with unity, once I am used to it i can see it being so much easier to use than my previous desktop environment. It feels like a real step forward from Ubuntu.

Krytarik
May 1st, 2011, 12:52 AM

Yeah, I've seen that now, in number of screenshots during the last couple of days. So, sorry about my a bit snappy undertone before, but I couldn't really believe it, and was preconditioned by the Zeitgeist discussion!

That is on the one side a real evolution, on the other side, I, too, don't want my 'dash' littered by apps I don't have installed, and won't ever use. But for some people it may be useful, although imo the Software Center should be enough for that. That's another app I never use btw., at least not for the installation of packages.

ottosykora
May 1st, 2011, 07:58 AM
smartphone users live in a world where the more apps you have on your gadget the longer your c... is , so this will definitely make them happy and get all the new user experience.
For the moment.

But imagine the power of this, at the moment just appearing as minor addon.
If some of the 'links to software' are more preferred then other once?
Someone needs his software is installed more often then other similar one. Like someone needs his website to be clicked on more then other. So far I am also not directly charged for clicking on most websites, so I might be not for clicking on one of the software links there, but imagine how this could be made into big $$$ so easy.
Having selectable links not ordered or created by knowingly by the operator is definitely something extremely dangerous as when it is here, it will be clicked on definitely by statistically defined number of users.
Who ever implemented this, had as target big $$$ in his mind.

Oranges10e
May 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM
Happy that you are happy! :D

As I followed various threads of you, I can really compassion how much that means to you, and Ubuntu!
That seems to be a tremendous step forward.

However, there are still a lot of issues and bugs to be ironed out yet, "teething problems", like called in another thread.

Greetings.

Hi, sorry for the late response. I have been showing off some Ubuntu ;D

Anyway, you are right, this means SO much to me. I have been trying and pushing SO much for the things mentioned above. Right then, when I thought all hope might be lost, Ubuntu powers up and gives me what I wanted, taking things to the next level. I mean, no more fiddling around with settings to just watch some tear-free video, no more playing around with different drivers after a fresh install, no more "hoping" for things to change or get fixed.

In my eyes; THIS is the way to go and I appreciate every single bit and second of work, that has gone in to Unity and this Ubuntu version. I just hope this continues in future releases. Sure, like you said, there are a few bugs left, but that's okay. Hopefully, those will get squashed with future updates.

Good, tasty cookies need some time and love. :popcorn:

Also, to make things better, I see, that Crossover Games has been implemented into the Software-Centre. While I see "Wine" as a "bridge" for what Linux - really - needs (that would be more native games/apps via the store or even some Open Source apps pushed, supported and polished by Canonical and implemented in the store) it helps knowing that it is there. I hope Crossover/Wine gets some stronger support this way. Canonical: Don't forget Crossover Games, though! ;D

Oranges10e

Oranges10e
May 1st, 2011, 06:27 PM
found it difficult to find positive threads about unity (i'm not a regular on these boards) but I just want to say how impressed I am with unity, once I am used to it i can see it being so much easier to use than my previous desktop environment. It feels like a real step forward from Ubuntu.

Well, as far as I can tell, a lot of ppl have to get "used" to this kind of change. See, like most ppl on Windows or OSX don't like too big and fast changes (speaking of the "normal" users), thus making it difficult for them to "understand" or just give a different OS a chance, many ppl in our Linux community are "used" to certain things as well. When a change comes, it's just natural for some ppl to like it and for some to hate it. This has always been and will always be. There is no single - perfect - system for everyones needs and taste, thus it is good and nice to see the freedom of will, change and choice. Under Linux you will always be free to choose and that is, above most reasons, the one thing I like so much about it.

Anyway, I agree with you 100% :KS

Oranges

JACObLEECH
August 27th, 2011, 07:44 AM
i will be honest, always been a windows man, tried ubuntu before from cd's that i got with pc magazines (think it was something like ubuntu v8) and i really did not see the point in changing from something that works to something with less features and many bugs.. now a few days ago a friend told me about the unity release and i downloaded it and OMG it's amazing.. its so pretty i have decided to stick around and now i see i can do many things as a developer also!!

Unity is awesome!

thelastbiscuitinthetin
November 16th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I just wanted to pipe up and share my enthusiasm for Unity. I've always used Linux on the side but with 11.10, Unity is on both my desktop and laptop. Keep on going guys, you're making one excellent operating system that's ten times more sleek and beautiful than the competition. I cannot express how thrilled I am with Unity. I'm looking forward to some bug fixes in the future to make this even better. :)

cerda
November 17th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I really like Unity too, but unfortunately, i don't like compiz (or it doesn't like me). Been using gnome-shell in 11.10 because this compiz bug eating 40% of cpu. I'm really enjoying GS but i miss a lot from unity, like the app and music lenses, better social menu with mail, chat and twitter. Global menu is something i really like too and miss that a lot =/

Otherwhise, GS does not eat my cpu, manage windows and desktops in dual monitos with no problem and has those notifications from chat where you can just type in with no need to change to empathy window. That i would like to see in 12.04 :) in Unity

malspa
November 17th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I'm enjoying Unity (in 11.04) and GNOME Shell (in Fedora 16). Not sure which one I prefer -- sometimes I go one way, sometimes the other -- but I hear that 12.04 will have both, so I'm really looking forward to that.

nolag
November 17th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I am posting here because maybe you guys can help me like unity. So far I HATE it. To be 100% fair I will give it 2 months because I hated ribbons when MS came out with those but I like them now. Unity might just take getting used to but here is what I don't like so far:

1) You can't move the task bar (This would be ok if it was on the top or bottom but side is odd)

2) I can't use desktop cube with it (one of the things I loved about gnome with compiz)

3) Need to press control + shift + N to get a new window of something I can't just click another icon (I will likely get used to this one)

4) I don't know where my things are and need to type to get to them. Although the search is fast (I do like the fast search), clicking is faster if you know where something is.

5) menu bar is hidden until you hover over it (sometimes it is buggy too so it does not show up and I need to go again)

6) Windows previews is broken (it just hovers there when I click on it and the menu goes away) so I can't use it.

7) If I want to click a window that is open in the same program that is not the same as the last one, I need to click it twice just to bring up all of them, then I need to pick it again. The stupid things change locations also, so you can't memorize the order things are open in.

8 )It breaks a lot when I try to change things using ccsm and I need to google how to fix it (or sometimes just reboot, thought I that was only a windows fix thing).

I think Unity is why a lot of people moved to linux mint. I read somewhere that I can install gnome 3 on ubuntu, so if I don't end up liking unity I will likely do that. If that does not work then it may be goodbye to ubuntu until they let you use gnome 3 properly :'(.

Anastasis
November 17th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I'm no fan of Unity. It is exactly the wrong direction to go for a DE.

There was a time when Gnome was about customization and user freedom. Gnome 2 did more for the promotion of Linux than any other DE in history and they have completely ruined Gnome with Gnome 3. Completely. Ruined. It. Gnome 2 should be maintained and further developed at any and all cost.

I don't know what Unity thinks it's supposed to be. But I can tell you this much, it might be cute and pretty, but it's sure nothing I'm interested in.

Have people forgotten the user base of linux? Have they forgotten that there would have been no UBUNTU without Gnome 2!

It's the customization, stupid! :mad:

Frogs Hair
November 17th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I was opposed to Unity when the choice was made to make it default in 11.04 , but decided to give it a fair shake and used it for 6 months on 11.04 . I installed 11.10 on release day and now run the Gnome Shell and Unity .

I realize that posting my praise or complaints here has no influence what so ever in determining what direction Ubuntu may take in the future . If I were an active developer I could possibly have some influence as to how the final product looked and worked .

I used and enjoyed the previous default desktop on three Ubuntu releases , but I am very pleased with the new direction and see much potential for Unity and the Gnome shell .

markbl
November 19th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I'm enjoying Unity (in 11.04) and GNOME Shell (in Fedora 16). Not sure which one I prefer -- sometimes I go one way, sometimes the other -- but I hear that 12.04 will have both, so I'm really looking forward to that.
Both are already available in 11.10. Just install the gnome-shell from the software center.

malspa
November 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Both are already available in 11.10. Just install the gnome-shell from the software center.

Thanks. No, I normally stick to LTS versions.I have 10.04 still installed on my main pc, but I have 11.04 on a spare. I'll be holding off until 12.04.