PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 Froze

PhillyKingston
April 21st, 2011, 10:03 AM
I started the upgrade last night, and around 12:03 it locked up the system and became unresponsive. I could move the mouse around the screen, but nothing was able to be interacted with, and the keyboard commands I could think of were not working. The upgrade manager said 10 minutes were left and it was in the process of updating the boinc-client (not a compiled version the one listed in the package manager). I left it until about 4:30 this morning and tried to reboot since I couldn't seem to accomplish anything else. The system came up stating it could mount root and just about everything else. So I burned a CD with 11.04 and booted off the CD and am now using the "Try Ubuntu" mode. I checked the file system and the folders I would expect to be there were.

I was curious if anyone had thoughts on what I might do to recover. Thanks in advance.

user1397
April 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
When an big upgrade like that fails (probably one of the servers time-out but it could've been a number of things), the only practical solution is to do a fresh reinstall. Backup all of your important files, and reinstall maverick. I would wait till the final release of natty to try upgrading, although I would probably wait a week or 2 after that so that any major bugs would be squashed and the download might be smoother.

dino99
April 21st, 2011, 10:11 AM
dont you have some hidden dialog boxe(s) waiting for your choices ?

PhillyKingston
April 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM
When an big upgrade like that fails (probably one of the servers time-out but it could've been a number of things), the only practical solution is to do a fresh reinstall. Backup all of your important files, and reinstall maverick. I would wait till the final release of natty to try upgrading, although I would probably wait a week or 2 after that so that any major bugs would be squashed and the download might be smoother.

Wouldn't have been a server timeout, as I had proceeded through the download portion and was on to the installation portion. I copied over everything to a spare external drive, so I am all set on the backup. I normally would have but I installed it on my laptop and had no problems, so I decided to try it on my desktop too. In the future I'll remember to make a clone before big upgrades. I am alright just using the Live CD for now, if someone has something they'd like to see in regards to the failure that might help diagnose the failure?

dont you have some hidden dialog boxe(s) waiting for your choices ?

No, at least nothing visible. And even if it was visible, I couldn't drag a window or interact with anything on the desktop.

PhillyKingston
April 26th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Turns out with the install CD I was able to restore the install of 11.04. I managed to backup my encrypted home directory in case the install didn't work, but I didn't need them. Thus far everything has been good on the reinstall of 11.04.

xtrem726
April 26th, 2011, 03:52 AM
i'll be wait till final release