View Full Version : [xubuntu] Problem with reconfiguring display/screensaver

April 21st, 2011, 02:49 AM
Hey, I have been running Xubuntu on my old Toshiba Satellite P4 for a while now, very happy with it. Sadly, the cpu fan died so I decided to transfer the hard drive into my son's old Compaq Presario 700 that had a dead hard drive. I intended on re-installing everything but before I did, I figured I might as well see what happened if I just tried starting it, I was pretty surprised when it fired up and everything worked .... or so it seemed!

The display was working but then if I left the laptop for 10 minutes (when the screensaver kicks in), I suspect that the xserver crashes because it logs me out and takes me back to the user login screen. If I try to start the screensaver setting application, the same thing happens.
When I try sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, it asks for the password and then just drops me back to the prompt, same with sudo dpkg-reconfigure xscreensaver.

Oh, the other thing that may well be relevant is that I now get an SMBus error on start-up to the tune of ...
[ 17.846623] vt596_smbus 0000:00:07.4: SMBUS: Error: Host SMBus controller not enabled! - upgrade BIOS or use force=1

Can I salvage the installation ported into the new laptop or do I need to re-install?

Cheers, Stu

April 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
No-one has any suggestions on fixing the SMBus or a way to configure xserver/xscreensaver?

April 26th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Nevermind, I ended up switching to Zenwalk due to lack of input.