PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iso-scan parameter for grub2

sapeurcamembert
April 20th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Hello,

I am trying to boot iso distrib from the command line (using c at the grub2 menu) and iso files are not located on the parttion where grub2 is installed. I have a separate partition. sda1 for system, sda3 for /home and sda2 for swap.

sda3 contains iso images

How can I specify a path for iso file (iso-scan/filename=.....
if the file is not on the system disk (sda1 in this situation).

I did (hd1,3)/filename.iso etc do not work

And of course I got the message that iso file is not found on sr0 being back at Busybox...

Any idea somebody ?

drs305
April 20th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Take a look at the "ISO" link in my signature line. It gives examples of menuentries for booting ISO images. The command line entries would be similar.

sapeurcamembert
April 20th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Thank you for your quick reply. If I posted something is because I did already provide an iso file location WITHOUT the leading /home and I did read your faq or howto...

Commands are

loopback loop (hd0,3)/am/Documents/iso/myiso.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=(hd0,3)/am/Documents/iso/myiso.iso noprompt noeject
initrd (loop)/casper/vmlinuz
boot

drs305
April 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM
loopback loop (hd0,3)/am/Documents/iso/myiso.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=(hd0,3)/am/Documents/iso/myiso.iso noprompt noeject
initrd (loop)/casper/vmlinuz
boot

Was the above highlighted text a typo? (... initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz )
Also note some initrd's are .lz and earlier ones are .gz

Is the ISO file in /am/Documents/iso/ of the sda3 partition?

The iso-scan/filename= should not include the partition, just the path/filename:

linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/am/Documents/iso/myiso.iso noprompt noeject
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz

I've not mounted from the command line. If you tell me what iso file you are trying to load I can try it myself. The initrd location and name can vary depending on the ISO.