PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation issues

kreechur
April 20th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Hello,

I'm new to Linux, and I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a PC that was home built a few years ago. It had XP on it and it ran fine, but i wanted to learn Linux, so I decided to install Ubuntu. I've tried a few different versions of Ubuntu, 10.04 and 10.10 to name a couple. 10.04 gets so far and the boxes all close and it sits there. 10.10 fails when trying to install Grub. I did get Xubuntu 9.04 to install but it fails when i do any updates/upgrades/software installation. After it fails, it will no longer boot. Just a thought I had could be incompatibility with my mother board? I have a Mercury P4VM800M7 motherboard in it now. Hard Drive is a WD Sata drive that i just purchased brand new.

Anyone have any ideas?

Quackers
April 20th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Welcome to UF.
If you boot from the live cd/usb and select "try ubuntu" does a live desktop load up ok?

kreechur
April 20th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Yes it works fine during the live session. Except it says it needs to run in low graphics mode. But yes it does run fine running on the live CD.
Thanks,

Quackers
April 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Ok. What exactly does this mean please?
"10.04 gets so far and the boxes all close and it sits there"
Do you mean that you can';t click on the "forward" box? What screen is showing at the time?

kreechur
April 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
The installation progress screen will disappear in the middle of the installation. All i can see is the plain background. The mouse moves but nothing else responds.

Quackers
April 20th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Ok. It may be that the installer is crashing.
Have you checked the md5sum of the downloaded .iso file?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

If that checks out ok you should check the cd for errors.
At the first purple screen (with the little man icon at the bottom) press any key. Choose your language then on the next screen you should see an option to check the disc for errors.
If it finds any errors at all the disc is no good.
The image needs to be burned again - try a slower speed.

kreechur
April 20th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I will check the disk tomorrow. md5 did check out. Thanks.

Quackers
April 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
You're welcome. Good luck :-)

ezsit
April 20th, 2011, 10:31 PM
How much memory do you have? At least 512MB I hope. You might want to download the alternate installer CD since it runs a text based installer that requires less memory and will not complain about older graphics chips and lower resolutions.

kreechur
April 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM
The disk checked out fine.

The pc has 1G of RAM in it. I'll download and try the alternate. Thanks.