PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] It's been asked before... which laptop ?

KaYnemO
April 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Hey all!

The time has come and I am in need to switch from my Acer Aspire 5670 to something new. As I have spent the last four days looking at the market I am gradually realizing that I can't rely on the specs of the listed laptops or looks. I have had my share of troubles with my old Acer, mostly regarding the notorious ATI card it has, but otherwise Ubuntu played well with it. So I am in need of advice, as I've lost all kinds of brain tissue with this subject. I've liked the new Asus N53 series with the i7 processor and NVidia, but would Ubuntu play well with turbo boost? I would highly welcome input on Asus N series, K series or any other laptop featuring i7 processors that will definitely play well with Ubuntu. I will also welcome input on what I should look for hardware wise when choosing a laptop. Thanks in advance.

Temüjin
April 20th, 2011, 07:36 PM
No, do not get a laptop with Nvidia Optimus (the N53). They don't support Optimus on Linux. Get a laptop with SandyBridge graphics for good compiz and video accel support. If you want to do 3D and gaming, get an ATI 4250 laptop and run Catalyst.

KaYnemO
April 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM
No, do not get a laptop with Nvidia Optimus (the N53). They don't support Optimus on Linux. Get a laptop with SandyBridge graphics for good compiz and video accel support. If you want to do 3D and gaming, get an ATI 4250 laptop and run Catalyst.

Thanks ! Does that mean that I am better off with just Intel HD video card on board ?

Temüjin
April 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks ! Does that mean that I am better off with just Intel HD video card on board ?
Affirmative.

KaYnemO
April 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
Affirmative.

So now... screw the way the laptop looks, would this be a perfect new machine for me, you think ?

ThinkPad W520 laptop Technical Specifications:

System components
Intel Core i7-2620M Processor (2.70GHz, 4MB L3)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
NVIDIA Quadro 2000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory
8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
UltraNav with TrackPoint & touchpad
720p Camera
Internal RAID - Not Enabled
500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD recordable multiburner
Express Card Slot & 4 in 1 Card Reader
9 cell Li-Ion Battery - 55++
Country Pack North America with Line cord & 170W AC adapter
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN)
Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable

or something like this:

Toshiba Satellite A660 (custom build)
Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.0GHz (2.90 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB Cache
Integrated HD Graphics
8GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM (4096MBx2)
500GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA)
Blu-ray Disc™ RE with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer drive
16.0" Diagonal Widescreen HD ( 1366x768 ) TruBrite® LED display
harmon/kardon® Speakers
Integrated Webcam and Microphone
Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n) with Bluetooth® v3.0 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
High Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery (12-cell, 98Wh)
Toshiba HDD Protection (3D Sensor)
Glossy Black LED Backlit Tile keyboard

Which of these is preferable in terms of coexisting with Ubuntu and hardware wise ?