PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New HDD and New Server Install

kentish
April 20th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions or advice on the following. My server's main HDD is about to die according to the SMART information. I will be replacing it with a shiny new 1 TB drive which will hold my home directories and a a directory used ripping DVD's

Is it advisable to partition the drive into sections

10% for /
60% for /home
30% for /data - used for DVD ripping and encoding

or just use the whole lot under / does it make a difference or is it just personal choice.

Just curious :-k

Mark

Hedgehog1
April 21st, 2011, 07:57 AM
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions or advice on the following. My server's main HDD is about to die according to the SMART information. I will be replacing it with a shiny new 1 TB drive which will hold my home directories and a a directory used ripping DVD's

Is it advisable to partition the drive into sections

10% for /
60% for /home
30% for /data - used for DVD ripping and encoding

or just use the whole lot under / does it make a difference or is it just personal choice.

Just curious :-k

Mark

The main goal is to seperate the os from your data, so future upgrades can be loaded to the '/' partition and leave your personal data alone.

So the data in '/home' on it own partition is isolated during an install (or repair), as would your data in the '/data' partition.

I would lean toward 95% of the drive as '/home', with a /home/data directory for your movies & DVD work area. This allows the /home/data to grow without changing partition sizes if you guess the size wrong.

The other 5% (~48 gigs) for '/' & swap should be OK.

The Hedge

:KS

kentish
April 21st, 2011, 08:15 AM
thanks for that advice. I will partition the drive as you suggest. cheers
kentish

dino99
April 21st, 2011, 10:02 AM
your needs:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2