PDA

View Full Version : Who's heard of/or uses calibre E-reader?

u-noob-tu
April 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM
i just found this thing today. calibre is a fantastic ebook/PDF organizer program. when you import a book, it picks up author, title, publisher and dates automatically, even though the file name was just a bunch of numbers. not only that, it can convert between many different ebook formats (like kindle, Sony, kobo, etc.). plus it can act as a server of sorts to transfer books between calibre and your iphone (you must have the stanza ebook app, but its free and very good). this is a wonderful hidden gem in the software center. i just might start reading again :P do any of you guys use it?

Docaltmed
April 20th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Been using it for a couple of years, now. It is a must-have app if you use a Nook, Kindle, or similar device.

If there were an olympics for open-source applications, this would take home the gold. Hands-down the best thing I've ever installed.

u-noob-tu
April 20th, 2011, 03:25 PM
im starting to think the same way. this is a top notch program. i dont think there is anything to complain about.

NCLI
April 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I use it, and it's great. Perfect Kindle compatibility.

5/5 stars. :guitar:

Grenage
April 20th, 2011, 03:30 PM
It's a great e-reader companion!

cloyd
April 20th, 2011, 11:28 PM
One complaint . . . it is slow in opening. However, everything opens slow in that other OS, so I guess I'm just spoiled. Its really a pretty good application. I need to learn a bit about the conversion procress. When I convert from PDF to ebook, I lose a lot of formatting. I'm sure there there are ways to fix this . . . I just don't understand enough yet.

K_45
April 20th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I can't stand ebooks. PDF's on a PC, maybe, but a full-sized 1000 page novel I'd like the big fat book. And no, I'm not an old fart.:P

Old_Man_Unix
April 24th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Only one thing - the version of calibre in the Lucid repository does not recognize a Kindle 3. You have to manually edit a configuration file to get your Kindle 3 recognized.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
April 24th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Only one thing - the version of calibre in the Lucid repository does not recognize a Kindle 3. You have to manually edit a configuration file to get your Kindle 3 recognized.

Never bothered with that, I just use Calibre to convert ebooks to a kindle-compatible format, than send them to my kindle by email.

samalex
April 25th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I've used it for about a year now ... works great.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 25th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I've been using it for about 4 months to convert books for my grandchildren to read on their Kindles. Their mom emails me a book, I convert it, and email it back to her. Their mom is my only child that is computer challenged. :)

demarshall
May 31st, 2011, 05:57 AM
This may sound like a dumb question but how do I access the books that I have access to on other Kindle devices? I really don't see how to log into the Amazon web site in Kindle and without that I don't see how I can access the books that I've bought for Kindle... and yes I did rtfm on Calibre's home page.

Please forgive me if this is obvious but my brain's not working real well since I have shingles on my head.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

David

demarshall
May 31st, 2011, 06:30 AM
I just realized that I can download books from Amazon and read those in Calibre but what I want to do is to be able to purchase books on my Android phone, for example, and access those in Ubuntu. Is that possible?

vehemoth
May 31st, 2011, 07:15 AM
I recently saw it in a linux mag. Don't have an ebook so haven't tried it.

demarshall
May 31st, 2011, 07:51 AM
After working on this issue for some time, it now seems that the ebooks can be transferred to Calibre from your device. The only difficulty now is that ones that one pays for are locked with a DRM code which prevents Calibre from opening them. There are a few web sites that tell you how to remove the DRM copy protection. Has anybody had any experience with any of these? I feel that if I buy a book I should be able to have it in the format that I want it in.

Any suggestions?

leg
May 31st, 2011, 08:33 AM
I use it and love it loads. I can't get it to load from kindle for android yet though.

Rodney9
May 31st, 2011, 09:04 AM
I love it, I have used for 6 months now since I got my Sony EReader.
I use Manybooks to get epubs.

Paqman
May 31st, 2011, 10:48 AM
I just realized that I can download books from Amazon and read those in Calibre but what I want to do is to be able to purchase books on my Android phone, for example, and access those in Ubuntu. Is that possible?

Use the Kindle software through Wine?

demarshall
June 5th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I use it and love it loads. I can't get it to load from kindle for android yet though.

Do you mean that you can't read in Android the ones you have bought through other platforms?

David

Mantorp
June 5th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I bought a Kindle 2 weeks ago and Calibre is my loved companion :D One of the best apps ever :P

leg
June 27th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Do you mean that you can't read in Android the ones you have bought through other platforms?

David
No I mean I cant load books bought from Amazon onto my kindle app on android. Need the device pid to do it and can't find it.

hawthornso23
June 28th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I love calibre and I don't have an ebook reader. I just use it to organise my library of pdf documents and books. It is brilliant.

goldshirt9
June 20th, 2012, 09:19 PM
excellent piece of kit.
Use with my kobo in windows 7 and kubuntu lts
after plugging in only problem i had was not being able to application launcher.
as i have it on my dock all was fine.
can add and remove books to my kobo.

ergo-proxy
June 21st, 2012, 12:26 PM
It's a must have if you own an ebook reader :)