PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Broken dependency fix needed

azenz
April 20th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I foolishly tried to install a newer version of VLC from .deb files from a more decent distro on my Ubuntu 10.04. Now I got dependency issues...learning the hard way here. But I got the necessary files to fix it, just not sure how.

sudo apt-get install libschroedinger-dev gives this:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libschroedinger-dev: Depends: libschroedinger-1.0-0 (= 1.0.9.is.1.0.8-0ubuntu1) but 1.0.10-2 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

So, I went online and downloaded libschroedinger-1.0-0 version 1.0.9.is.1.0.8-0ubuntu1. When wanting to install this .deb file, I of course got the error that a more recent version is already installed. Now, removing libschroedinger-1.0-0 means to remove a huge glut of programs, including ubuntu-desktop. This I find very daunting. Can't I simply force-remove the libschroedinger-1.0-0 1.0.10-2 version, then install the 1.0.9..., without disturbing any dependencies, on the fly so to speak?

Thanks for your help!!!

bapoumba
April 20th, 2011, 08:30 PM
How exactly did you install vlc ?

azenz
April 21st, 2011, 10:20 AM
How exactly did you install vlc ?

From more recent .deb packages at packages.debian.org, I think I opted for squeeze packages or so. I did manage to fix this in the meantime through massive uninstalling and then re-installing, but the question of on-the-fly package 'exchange' is still very relevant for me and others!

dino99
April 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM
use this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/vlc