PDA

View Full Version : What is this sound coming from my computer?

brawnypandora0
April 20th, 2011, 09:10 AM
My laptop has 256MB of RAM with a 1.16GHz CPU. When I click open a large file, it takes about a minute to load and my computer makes these odd noises, similar to a person's stomach growling kind of. Is this sound coming from my RAM or my CPU?

Do fast computers make these noises too?

Grenage
April 20th, 2011, 09:22 AM
It's either a fan (probably CPU) kicking it up a notch due to load, or a hard drive. A more modern PC would probably have a quieter disc and CPU fan - probably.

NovaAesa
April 20th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I think I know the noise you mean, it's the hard drive (you only usually hear this in older computers).

brawnypandora0
April 20th, 2011, 09:23 AM
So RAM and CPU never make noises?

Grenage
April 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Not themselves, no.

Paddy Landau
April 20th, 2011, 09:25 AM
So RAM and CPU never make noises?
No. But the CPU or the motherboard might have a fan, which makes a noise, albeit very quiet on modern computers.

Plumtreed
April 20th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Another possibility......the noise may come from the speakers. I have an eeePC that makes a 'static' type of noise that can be heard with some operating systems.

Lucradia
April 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Another possibility......the noise may come from the speakers. I have an eeePC that makes a 'static' type of noise that can be heard with some operating systems.

I have an eeePC 1015PE, and it makes no such noises.

Grenage
April 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Such things can be defective speakers, or poor shielding.

NCLI
April 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
It's most likely the HDD. If you really want to find out, just stick it in another machine :)

forrestcupp
April 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Long load times and churning noises means you need to be backing up your data pretty soon. I've had the same thing happen a few times, and I always ended up having to replace my hard drive soon afterwards.

undecim
April 20th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Long load times and churning noises means you need to be backing up your data pretty soon. I've had the same thing happen a few times, and I always ended up having to replace my hard drive soon afterwards.

This.

Always backup your data.

Artemis3
April 20th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hope you are using Lubuntu... with 256m of ram, most likely your HD is getting abused for the virtual memory.

brawnypandora0
April 20th, 2011, 10:19 PM
What does HD have to do with virtual memory?

Grenage
April 20th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Virtual memory is where Hard Drive space is used instead of physical RAM.

brawnypandora0
April 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
Virtual memory is where Hard Drive space is used instead of physical RAM.

If I get more RAM, does this mean my computer won't need virtual memory?

robots.jpg
April 22nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
It certainly won't need it as often.

Just find out where the hard drive activity indicator is on your laptop (should look like a tiny blinking light), and you can confirm that that's where the noise is coming from. Or if you're running Linux, go and run the 'free' command to see if any swap space is being used. If that's not it, then it's definitely ghosts.

forrestcupp
April 23rd, 2011, 02:06 AM

Not needing virtual memory doesn't mean your hard drive isn't about to crash. Hearing bad noises when your computer accesses virtual memory is just a symptom of your hard drive making bad noises anyway.

Back up your data. Prepare for the worst and if you're lucky, it'll still last a while. If not, you'll be ready.

Paddy Landau
April 23rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
If you have sufficient RAM for the tasks you're doing, then no. With Ubuntu, 4Gb RAM should suffice for all practical purposes (but not for impractical ones).

However, you need swap equal to your RAM if you ever want to hibernate. I suggest retaining your swap regardless of the RAM.

Paddy Landau
April 23rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
I've just finished reading the latest issue of Full Circle Magazine (#48) (http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-48/). Page 25 has a good discussion of swap space.