PDA

View Full Version : Unity?

DMGrier
April 20th, 2011, 07:20 AM
So I was wondering is unity made by Ubuntu? I am asking cause gnome is used on many Linux flavors and has its own developer website where as Unity when I looked up in google all I got was "Ubuntu Unity"

ashickur.noor
April 20th, 2011, 07:30 AM
So I was wondering is unity made by Ubuntu? I am asking cause gnome is used on many Linux flavors and has its own developer website where as Unity when I looked up in google all I got was "Ubuntu Unity"
yap, Unity is made by Canoniacal not by Ubuntu.

Artemis3
April 20th, 2011, 07:31 AM
On the other hand, Ubuntu is made by Canonical...

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2011, 07:52 AM
As far as I know the community has been doing well in contributing to Unity. Also, yes, Unity is a project solely on Ubuntu at the moment. I am willing to bet other distributions will adopt it (at least as an option).

pony-tail
April 20th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I most certainly hope that they do not !

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I most certainly hope that they do not !

Hahaha.. Good one.

CraigPaleo
April 20th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I don't think Debian will have it just because of who made it.

I do think Ubuntu is inconsiderate in assuming that everyone uses a netbook or minipad.

Linux_junkie
April 20th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Having tried both Gnome3 (alpha) and Unity (beta2) from live CD's I can say that there isn't much to choose from between the two. In fact I believe that the only reason why Ubuntu are developing Unity is because Gnome3 does not support Compiz. If it did I don't think Ubuntu would be pushing Unity but would have gone with Gnome3.

pony-tail
April 20th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I tried unity for a fortnight - not to my liking at all .
Trying Gnome 3 now ( Fedora 15 beta ) not that great either but prefer it to either Unity or The current KDE ( put kde on the machine that was running Unity ) too early to say about Kubuntu or Gnome 3 - I am only at 24 hours on each .

Johnsie
April 20th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Gnome2 for the win. The panel is simple, highly customisable and it just works.

Unity is being made by the Ubuntu community. Other distros will have it, but not by default.

BigSilly
April 20th, 2011, 10:46 AM
In fact I believe that the only reason why Ubuntu are developing Unity is because Gnome3 does not support Compiz.

Compiz is pretty great, but there are still lots of issues for me, particularly at boot up. I have to reset the window manager with the Fusion icon every boot, as often it doesn't start leaving my windows borderless. I've had this problem for ages, and tried all sorts of fixes from here and the Compiz site to no avail. Using KDE4 with its own 3D effects has no such problems. I expect Gnome 3 will be much the same. In other words, for me personally, integrating Compiz with Ubuntu isn't that great a draw sadly.

Gnome2 for the win. The panel is simple, highly customisable and it just works.

Gnome 2 is brilliant, but I'm very, very impressed with Gnome 3 thus far, and I'm looking forward to installing it on my next distro.

Zorgoth
April 20th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I don't think Debian will have it just because of who made it.

I do think Ubuntu is inconsiderate in assuming that everyone uses a netbook or minipad.

I use unity on a 1920x1080 screen and I like it fine.

CraigPaleo
April 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I use unity on a 1920x1080 screen and I like it fine.

Then you're a masochist. :biggrin:

3Miro
April 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Then you're a masochist. :biggrin:

Why would you say that? I use Unity on 1280x1024 and it looks nice. See attached screenshot.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
April 20th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I find Unity preferable to Gnome 3 or KDE, but all three are still vastly inferior to GNOME classic.

madjr
April 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM
i use unity in big screen too, is not just for netbooks.

Thus there will be no more "netbook remix", it has been merged with the desktop.

i like this move, now i have the same UI in my desktop and my netbook/laptop.

here is a complete guide to unity for any interested:

http://theravingrick.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-effort-at-writing-help-for-unity.html

CraigPaleo
April 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Why would you say that? I use Unity on 1280x1024 and it looks nice. See attached screenshot.
Yes, it looks nice. There's enough criticism of Unity in the other threads. I'll just leave it alone.

NormanFLinux
April 21st, 2011, 04:07 AM
I'd like there to be an option to have the dock launcher at the bottom like with Mac OSX. Its much more user-friendly. In my opinion, the user should be able to drag and drop the launcher where desired.

3rdalbum
April 21st, 2011, 04:32 AM
I'd like there to be an option to have the dock launcher at the bottom like with Mac OSX. Its much more user-friendly. In my opinion, the user should be able to drag and drop the launcher where desired.

If you'd ever been asked "My start bar is at the top of the screen, I don't know how it got there, how can I fix it and put it back on the bottom of the screen?" about Windows XP, you'd not suggest this :-P

I don't understand how "it's more user-friendly". It's certainly a better use of space, putting it on the side. It also feels like it puts less strain on my wrist to flick the mouse to the top-left corner than to pull the mouse downwards.

Merk42
April 21st, 2011, 02:58 PM

yap, Unity is made by Canoniacal not by Ubuntu.Question was answered in the very second post. So this should be marked as solved and closed.

Instead it turns into yet another unity/gnomeshell/panel discussion which will be moved/merged into recurring.

Zorgoth
April 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM
I find Unity preferable to Gnome 3 or KDE, but all three are still vastly inferior to GNOME classic.

Of course GNOME 2 is better right now. It's much more mature. But I think Unity has the potential to evolve into something better, whereas GNOME 2 has reached and passed the point where it just can't get any better without revolutionary changes.

So I'm going to use unity and file bug reports, and I think eventually it probably will be better than GNOME 2.