PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System won't boot after upgrade to 11.04 beta2

treksully
April 20th, 2011, 05:37 AM
I ran the upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to Ubuntu 11.04 beta 2 today. When the installation completed, the computer restarted with a screen that says "Grub 1.97 beta4" at the top of the screen. There is a prompt at the bottom that says "sh:grub>". Any suggestions on how to fix this or revert back to 10.10? I was able to boot manually by running the "linux /vmlinuz.old" command that I saw on the Grub2 (grub.enbug.org) wiki.

Sef
April 20th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Any suggestions on how to fix this or revert back to 10.10?

The only way to revert back is to reinstall 10.10.

Hedgehog1
April 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I ran the upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to Ubuntu 11.04 beta 2 today. When the installation completed, the computer restarted with a screen that says "Grub 1.97 beta4" at the top of the screen. There is a prompt at the bottom that says "sh:grub>". Any suggestions on how to fix this or revert back to 10.10? I was able to boot manually by running the "linux /vmlinuz.old" command that I saw on the Grub2 (grub.enbug.org) wiki.

Sadly, the upgrade path does not yet work for Natty/11.04

You can re-install 11.04 using a Natty LiveCD/LiveUSB (save your data first).

Or you can re-install 10.10 using a 10.10 LiveCD/LiveUSB (save your data first).

The Hedge

:KS

Blasphemist
April 20th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I'm confused Hedge. I've done an upgrade and I've see others on these forums that did. Sure some have had issues but what is it you mean about the upgrade path?

ezsit
April 20th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Since your system was 10.10 upgraded from Karmic (with grub 1.97~beta4), your original system might be too old, at least your version of grub2 might be a little too old.

drs305
April 20th, 2011, 10:33 PM

From a LiveCD please download and run the boot info script. Post the contents of the RESULTS.txt and we can see what condition your boot files are in.
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net

stephenlamb
May 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM
I also have this problem after upgrading from 10:10. The computer dual boots with Vista. Now I cannot access either Ubuntu or Vista.

jz32300
May 1st, 2011, 09:13 AM
Me too. Beginning to wish I hadn't taken the suggested upgrade... :(

I had a dual boot setup - Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.10.

Since upgrading the PC hangs when I try to boot into 11.04 - blank screen with Caps Lock key light flashing. The same when I try to boot into XP except that there is also a flashing underscore in the top left of the screen.

If I select "recovery mode" I get a message in the top left telling me that kernel version xxx.Xxx.xxx is loading, but the PC hangs.

If I select "Previous linux versions I can boot into 10.10 but the GUI has changed - I no longer have the task bar at the bottom with the choice of multiple desktops, just a type of dock on the left with icons of available programs etc.

Please can somebody tell me how I can recover from this? I need to access the installed XP and I want to get rid of 11.04 as it is obviously not ready for distribution.

[EDIT] Additionally, I no longer have the menu at the top of the screen in 10.10 - how do I get this back?

Thanks in advance
Clive

jz32300
May 1st, 2011, 11:24 AM
I seem to have resolved my problems with XP and 11.04. Very strange, and I now know that the user interface issue is due to Unity being installed even for my 10.10 installation - I REALLY didn't want that!

But I can't find a way to switch back to Gnome - SO annoying!

Well thanks for all help.

Cheers

Me too. Beginning to wish I hadn't taken the suggested upgrade... :(

I had a dual boot setup - Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.10.

Since upgrading the PC hangs when I try to boot into 11.04 - blank screen with Caps Lock key light flashing. The same when I try to boot into XP except that there is also a flashing underscore in the top left of the screen.

If I select "recovery mode" I get a message in the top left telling me that kernel version xxx.Xxx.xxx is loading, but the PC hangs.

If I select "Previous linux versions I can boot into 10.10 but the GUI has changed - I no longer have the task bar at the bottom with the choice of multiple desktops, just a type of dock on the left with icons of available programs etc.

Please can somebody tell me how I can recover from this? I need to access the installed XP and I want to get rid of 11.04 as it is obviously not ready for distribution.

[EDIT] Additionally, I no longer have the menu at the top of the screen in 10.10 - how do I get this back?

Thanks in advance
Clive

drs305
May 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
I seem to have resolved my problems with XP and 11.04. Very strange, and I now know that the user interface issue is due to Unity being installed even for my 10.10 installation - I REALLY didn't want that!

But I can't find a way to switch back to Gnome - SO annoying!

If you are now using Unity, try clicking the top right start/shutdown icon. Select 'System Settings', then in the System section: Login Screen. Unlock, and then click on the "Select xxx as default session" selection box and choose "Ubuntu Classic"