PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mailed Disk issue (or something with the computer)

Nathan C
April 20th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I'd like to start off by saying I have been using Ubuntu for a month or two. Then despite the forewarnings, I upgraded to 11.04 beta. I could not get on the internet for the life of me, so I compiled a list of each of my settings and programs not already synced down to the tee. I then got my disk from Canonical I requested (not wanting to mess with burning disks, downloading the file, blah blah blah).

Now I'm here. unable to connect. I installed Ubuntu, and I got these errors. Then I reinstalled/erased the disk again. Same results.

I gots pic too.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_nBz9u0ynXvo/Ta5atzMkmqI/AAAAAAAABKA/3KdbOL8vF6E/HNI_0038.JPG https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_nBz9u0ynXvo/Ta5a7QrDpvI/AAAAAAAABKI/FHZVuMbqmZM/HNI_0037.JPGhttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_nBz9u0ynXvo/Ta5a3KRVYcI/AAAAAAAABKE/tEtqPHlpFlE/HNI_0039.JPG

According to that, it's something with package indexes not being copied right so it can't connect to my drivers? Expert please? What to do????

And I'm unable to get anything done on that computer until this forum of awesomes helps me.

Rasa1111
April 20th, 2011, 05:22 AM
hmm..
Not encountered that yet, in the 3 machines Ive tested 11.04 on.
Actually, Ive not encountered a computer not able to connect, in any Ubuntu ive run on any machine.

hmm..
those "forewarnings", are there for good reason.
Specially when it comes to 11.04, in my opinion.

Is having Unity really worth the hassle?

I'm not sure what's going on over there..
So I'll just make a friendly suggestion to go back to 10.10,
the best Ive ever used.

Good luck.

Nathan C
April 20th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I should have been more specific. The mailed disk IS Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop. I've been trying to go back to 10.10.

The Computer is an acer aspire 5570z (if that matters), and Ubuntu runs ace in all other areas than getting on to the internet (or any network)

It just doesn't, and it says no proprietary drivers are there, and something about packages.

Dutch70
April 20th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I believe the only way to go back to 10.10 is reinstall.

If this is a wireless connection, you may need to use a wired connection to get the proprietary drivers.

Nathan C
April 20th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I believe the only way to go back to 10.10 is reinstall.

If this is a wireless connection, you may need to use a wired connection to get the proprietary drivers.

edit: I'll try that, and I was trying to reinstall ubuntu 10.10

Nathan C
April 22nd, 2011, 01:36 AM
Can anyone help? I want really to rock Ubuntu again...

Quackers
April 22nd, 2011, 02:31 AM
Have you tried with an ethernet cable plugged in to your router?

Rasa1111
April 22nd, 2011, 03:41 AM
Have you tried with an ethernet cable plugged in to your router?

That would be a good idea, Nathan.
See if you can connect with an ethernet cable.
If it does connect, and additional drivers are needed/available,
they will show up.

Is Ubuntu the only OS on the computer?

Nathan C
April 22nd, 2011, 04:11 AM
I tried the ethernet cable, and no luck...