PDA

View Full Version : preferred media player?

Antarctica32
April 20th, 2011, 05:11 AM
What is your preferred media player? Mine's Rhythmbox by the way. And I hate iTunes.

Quadunit404
April 20th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Banshee, though if I need to I'll use Clementine.

Antarctica32
April 20th, 2011, 05:22 AM
ah shoot I forgot banshee and I forgot "other". Well that's what happens when you don't sleep for an entire day. sorry

doorknob60
April 20th, 2011, 05:23 AM
You put freakin iTunes and WMP on there and not Banshee....sorry, but bad poll :P And what is Adobe media player? Sounds crappy too :P BTW for videos though, VLC all the way :)

Antarctica32
April 20th, 2011, 05:25 AM
yeah sorry I really can't believe I forgot banshee. adobe media player is a free media player for windows. It's still in its infancy but I have heard it is better than most other windows players.

Khakilang
April 20th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I use VLC for video and Rhythm box for music.

weasel fierce
April 20th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Amarok all the way :)

I used Rhythmbox when I was on gnome.

Used XMMS (or whatever the winamp clone is called) for quite a while too.

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I am back to using Rhythmbox. I was a fairly big fan of Banshee for a long time and I still like it, but Rhythmbox just seems to be much simpler and more reliable. :)

BertN45
April 20th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Quod Libet the best music organizer and a good player. The album view is beautiful and simple. It is compatible with WMP with respect to WMA files, even with respect to the handling of two artists cooperating on the same track and that helps if a son still uses Windows. The search view is simple to use, but has very powerful features. It only lacks an equalizer.

Banshee, a good music player with a good equalizer, but a crappy library scan function. Quits silently or eats up all Virtual Memory (4 GB) during library scans. Does not recognise 200 of the 8000 tags. Those 200 tags are recognized by both WMP and Quod Libet.

I use both now, but I would only use Quod Libet, if it had an equalizer.

Antarctica32
April 20th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Quod Libet the best music organizer and a good player. The album view is beautiful and simple. It is compatible with WMP with respect to WMA files, even with respect to the handling of two artists cooperating on the same track and that helps if a son use still Windows. The search view is simple to use but has very powerful features. It only lacks an equalizer.

Banshee, a good music player with a good equalizer, but a crappy library scan function. Quits silently or eats up all Virtual Memory (4 GB) during library scans. Does not recognise 200 of the 8000 tags. Those 200 tags are recognized by both WMP and Quod Libet.

I use both now, but I would only use Quod Libet, if it had a good equalizer.

You sound so anti-banshee. Why do you use it then? Only because of the equalizer?

weasel fierce
April 20th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I am back to using Rhythmbox. I was a fairly big fan of Banshee for a long time and I still like it, but Rhythmbox just seems to be much simpler and more reliable. :)

Rhythmbox gets a bad rep for some reason, but I'll say I never had trouble with it.

kelt65
April 20th, 2011, 05:48 AM
For music, audacious. It's just like the old xmms and just what I want. I hate the new style of media players (rhythmbox, amarok, etc)

For movies, VLC.

Rasa1111
April 20th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Clementine.

But you didnt have it as a choice, so I chose VLC.
Both I use daily.

Clementine is the best Ive found or used for music.
But for other media, videos and what not..
I mostly use VLC..
Though Ive been using XBMC for a month or two as well.
and its pretty awesome!
on par with Enna.

Does everything!

Antarctica32
April 20th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Rhythmbox gets a bad rep for some reason, but I'll say I never had trouble with it.

I agree 100%

Copper Bezel
April 20th, 2011, 06:09 AM
I haven't played with Banshee. I really ought to do so. I use Rhythmbox, and I've grown rather attached to it. I certainly prefer it to my experience with iTunes or Windows Media Player (or Amaraok, for that matter.) Simple, doesn't take up a lot of screen space, does what I need it to do (mp3, internet radio, podcasts, etc.) Convenient search function. Supported enough for DockBarX to give it media controls.

lystor
April 20th, 2011, 06:09 AM
IMHO, vlc 1.1.7 in ubuntu (http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-10.10/getdeb-apps-i386/vlc_1.1.7-1~getdeb2_i386.deb.html) is the best media player.

CraigPaleo
April 20th, 2011, 06:21 AM
VLC for video;
Clementine for music.

Jesus_Valdez
April 20th, 2011, 06:23 AM
mpd for music.

Totem or VLC for video.

Rasa1111
April 20th, 2011, 06:27 AM
VLC for video;
Clementine for music.

chyeahh boy! lol :) <3

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 20th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I used to really like Windows Media Player but I found that it's kind of slow. After that I started using Exaile. Now Rhythmbox is my favorite.

BertN45
April 20th, 2011, 07:12 AM
You sound so anti-banshee. Why do you use it then? Only because of the equalizer?

I would like to separate facts and opinions to explain, why I am not anti-banshee. I use Banshee, because it is a good, elegant music player (opinion), once you succeed in getting past the library scan (fact).

I would prefer Quod Libet (opinion), because it is more robust (fact) and it is a better organizer (partly fact, partly opinion). The interface has the same type of elegance as Banshee, but it is less busy and more simple (opinion). Yes, it has no equalizer (fact) and I miss it so I am using both.

I tried the pulseaudio equalizer, it worked, but that messed up my audio settings for Skype.

krapp
April 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Quod Libet: only player I know of that appropriately organizes classical music according to composer, conductor, and performers.

dinamic1
April 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
VLC/audacious

Artemis3
April 20th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Audacious, but moving to Deadbeef. VLC for video.

I don't like organizers or library database thingies. Playlists are enough, and tabbed playlists are all i need.

FlameReaper
April 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM
SMPlayer for movies etc, VLC/Totem as fallback.
Audacious for local music files, Amarok for stream because other players don't scrobble stream titles to Last.FM. Or so as I found out. Songbird for the hell of it, can't wait for Nightingale.

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Banshee and Rhythmbox scrobble to last.fm as well. :)

Elfy
April 20th, 2011, 08:16 AM
ah shoot I forgot banshee and I forgot "other". Well that's what happens when you don't sleep for an entire day. sorry

If you want the options in the poll changed ask nicely :)

gmpc or clementine here

nothingspecial
April 20th, 2011, 08:38 AM
For a full featured playlisty, scrobbly, ipody, organisy, podcasty etc player then I would have guayadeque.

But I tend to stream my music with squeezeboxserver and play it with squeezeslave or radiotray, controlled with a web interface.

beew
April 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Huh? How come mplayer is not on the list??

I used to use smplayer until I discovered umplayer a week ago. It is a fork of the Smplayer but have more functions (like youtube watching) and better interface.

Linux_junkie
April 20th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I selected movie player because I assumed the question was about video media but for audio players I like Rhythmbox. Not tried any of the others in the list except for the windows one but never did like that.

Spice Weasel
April 20th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Audacious, moc for music.
VLC, mplayer for videos.

You are missing lots of poll options.

edit: Not audacity.

Wild_Duck66
April 20th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Kaffeine.

ctrlmd
April 20th, 2011, 11:34 AM
on windows : windows media player
on mac : itunes
on linux : banshee

Grenage
April 20th, 2011, 11:38 AM
mplayer or xbmc for movies; I don't listen to music at home.

ivanovnegro
April 20th, 2011, 11:40 AM
This is a really bad poll and we have soo much yet of the same type. :)
Im using Clementine for music and VLC for videos and maybe will try also UMPlayer.
But you forgot to mention so many players here. (DeadBeef, Guayadeque, Gmusicbrowser...)

And btw, someone mentioned that only Amarok scrobbles streams, also does Clementine, at least the latest dev build.

marl30
April 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
It seems I'm the only one who voted Windows Media player. Well, I must admit that I prefer it to all listed in the poll. VLC is cool, but it's not my main player. The person who created the poll gave me no choice as my Linux favorites were not included. I have certain media players that I love when it comes to Linux: Banshee, Audacious, and recently Amarok.

I never liked Rhythmbox.

Rasa1111
April 20th, 2011, 12:46 PM
This is a really bad poll and we have soo much yet of the same type. :)
Im using Clementine for music and VLC for videos and maybe will try also UMPlayer.
But you forgot to mention so many players here. (DeadBeef, Guayadeque, Gmusicbrowser...)

And btw, someone mentioned that only Amarok scrobbles streams, also does Clementine, at least the latest dev build.

Yes!
I love how SomaFM is in Clementine!
I always used to download the station file and open it to stream in VLC... But with Clementine I can just click twice and open any SomaFM station I want.
Very niice.

The Clementine devs. are awesome. :KS <3

RiceMonster
April 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
For music: foobar2000 on Windows. Amarok or Banshee on Linux.
For video: Media Player Classic on Windows. MPlayer on Linux.

MrNatewood
April 20th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I mostly use SMPlayer(with SVN mplayer backend) for video playback. VLC is also great but my main biff with it is that it does not have an option to remember the place in the video timeline you closed VLC in and continue from that point when you re-open the video. Small thing but that makes the difference.

Totem just has worst performence than both

Simian Man
April 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Amarok is my favorite, the guitar tab plugin is amazingly awesome. Since that wasn't on the poll I voted WMP which I use on Windows.

BrokenKingpin
April 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
This poll should have a multi-pick option as I use different players for music and videos. It also should include Banshee and an Other option.

On Linux (which I am using unless I am at work):
- Banshee for music
- VLC for video

On Windows
- Windows Media Player

RiceMonster
April 20th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Amarok is my favorite, the guitar tab plugin is amazingly awesome. Since that wasn't on the poll I voted WMP which I use on Windows.

Where does it search tabs from?

perspectoff
April 20th, 2011, 03:15 PM
You don't have Amarok on the list.

I use VLC for video, but Amarok for audio, podcasts, internet radio.

It has plugin extensibility, so that Shoutcast, stream recording, etc., is available via plugin extensibility.

It downloads photos, lyrics, music info -- it's a very powerful player.

Amarok does handle video, now, I think, (but I still use VLC for that).

I still use Kaffeine as a video player for some things because it allows a looping video playlist, which is missing from other video players for some reason.

Simian Man
April 20th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Where does it search tabs from?

Aww crap, I knew that it got most of them from UltimateGuitar, but I just loaded it up to check - after not having used it in a while, and I got this message:

WARNING: You are trying to view
content from Ultimate-Guitar.com
in an unauthorized application,
which is prohibited.

Please use an official Ultimate
Guitar Tabs application for iPhone,
iPad or Android to access legitimate
chords, guitar, bass, and drum tabs
from Ultimate-Guitar.com database.

Type "ultimate guitar tabs" in Apple
App Store's or Android Market's
search to find the application.

There are some available from FretPlay, but most came from UG. This sucks :(.

marl30
April 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM
You don't have Amarok on the list.

I use VLC for video, but Amarok for audio, podcasts, internet radio.

It has plugin extensibility, so that Shoutcast, stream recording, etc., is available via plugin extensibility.

It downloads photos, lyrics, music info -- it's a very powerful player.

Amarok does handle video, now, I think, (but I still use VLC for that).

I still use Kaffeine as a video player for some things because it allows a looping video playlist, which is missing from other video players for some reason.

Where can I get all those extra plugins for Amarok? I've typed it in Synaptic and there are not that many like you would find for Banshee.

sydbat
April 20th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Linux:

Movies - VLC or XMBC

Music - gmusicbrowser

Windows:

Movies and Music - WMP

screaminj3sus
April 20th, 2011, 07:55 PM
This is a pretty incomplete list, missing some very popular media players on both windows and linux:

Amarok
Clementine
Banshee (default player in a few distros, including the upcoming version of ubuntu)
Winamp
Foobar2000

For video:
mplayer
media player classic (windows)

For me its
Linux: Clementine or banshee for music. gmplayer for video
Windows: Clementine or foobar2000 for music. Media Player Classic for video

JohnnyC35
April 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Xbmc +1

RiceMonster
April 20th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Aww crap, I knew that it got most of them from UltimateGuitar, but I just loaded it up to check - after not having used it in a while, and I got this message:

There are some available from FretPlay, but most came from UG. This sucks :(.

Lame. Ultimate-guitar is the best one too. That's where I was hoping it got them.

Never even
April 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM
VLC, but really I've not been using Linux long enough to try some of the alternatives. Rhythmbox UI and visualisation's aren't to my taste, they look like something I'd have used on WinAMP over a decade ago.

Haven't tried Banshee. May give it a go now that I've finally got sound out of my left speaker. Or I might wait until I get the headphones working too. Decisions decisions!

WRDN
April 20th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I use VLC for video and VLC/ Rhythmbox for local music, or more often, Spotify (Open) through WINE.

Rasa1111
April 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM
VLC, but really I've not been using Linux long enough to try some of the alternatives. Rhythmbox UI and visualisation's aren't to my taste, they look like something I'd have used on WinAMP over a decade ago.

Haven't tried Banshee. May give it a go now that I've finally got sound out of my left speaker. Or I might wait until I get the headphones working too. Decisions decisions!

Save yourself..
Try Clementine instead! ;)

wizard10000
April 21st, 2011, 08:03 AM
For music, audacious. It's just like the old xmms and just what I want. I hate the new style of media players (rhythmbox, amarok, etc)

For movies, VLC.

Same here, but I grew tired of how audacious chokes on a less-than-perfect mp3. After testing many media players I settled on qmmp, which IMO has all the features of audacious, is about ten times more stable and I still get to use my favorite winamp2 skin :)

edit: screenshot attached. qmmp on my netbook with my favorite winamp2 skin.

Random_Dude
April 21st, 2011, 08:15 AM
Music: Clementine
Video: VLC

Cheers :cool:

madmax75
April 21st, 2011, 08:52 PM
I voted for VLC player, but I actually use different players for different purposes:

Audacious for playing music (loads quickly and doesn't get in your way)
Totem for generic video clips
VLC for watching movies

koleoptero
April 21st, 2011, 08:58 PM
I use both now, but I would only use Quod Libet, if it had an equalizer.

Rejoice, if you use ubuntu (or any distro that uses pulseaudio) then there's pulseaudio equalizer. Imagine everything going through the equalizer, music, youtube, movies... Clicky! (http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/download-pulseaudio-system-wide.html)

ivanovnegro
April 21st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Rejoice, if you use ubuntu (or any distro that uses pulseaudio) then there's pulseaudio equalizer. Imagine everything going through the equalizer, music, youtube, movies... Clicky! (http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/download-pulseaudio-system-wide.html)

Yes, thats right and it has an awesome sound but lateley I dont use it anymore. Its a little bit buggy and it doesnt seem that the creator is very active actually to improve some things or at least it seems so.

gnomeuser
April 21st, 2011, 09:35 PM
Naturally I use Banshee for Music, Podcasts, Audiobooks and Video. On my phone I use Audible for Audiobooks, MIUI Player for music and well it is a phone I basically don't watch video on it.

wewantutopia
April 21st, 2011, 09:42 PM
Video: VLC

Music: Amarok 1.4

Lifeless Planet
April 21st, 2011, 09:43 PM
If I want to listen music while I am doing something else (programming, doing homework...) I use Rythmbox. If I want to watch a movie or listen just one song, I use Totem.

(Plus I sometimes use my own music player, crappy, but working!)

BrokenKingpin
April 21st, 2011, 09:47 PM
I forgot about XBMC... I absolutely love it on my media server.

ivanovnegro
April 21st, 2011, 10:56 PM
If I want to listen music while I am doing something else (programming, doing homework...) I use Rythmbox. If I want to watch a movie or listen just one song, I use Totem.

(Plus I sometimes use my own music player, crappy, but working!)

To use the own music player, that rocks. :)

Antarctica32
April 21st, 2011, 11:06 PM
If you want the options in the poll changed ask nicely :)

gmpc or clementine here

Yes I would like Banshee, Clementine, and other added to the options please. I didn't know they could be changed. Thanks

rich52x
April 21st, 2011, 11:49 PM
iTunes runs painfully slow on my 2GB laptop Windows install, and since I don't have many videos, Rhythmbox is perfect for me on Ubuntu, I use it with the 'NowPlaying' screenlet and the 'Lyrics' screenlet. Jazzes up my Desktop a bit :D

jruberto
April 21st, 2011, 11:53 PM
Rhythmbox is the "least sucky" of the ones I've tried. But everyone's criteria is different. Rhythmbox meets mine in that it seems to manage large media libraries (100gb+) pretty well, and it hooks into last.fm.

I've been a Winamp Pro user for years on my windows machines, very happy with it.

VLC is amazing for everything else: videos, audio files with non-standard bitrates/sample rates... VLC will play just about anything you throw at it.

el_koraco
April 22nd, 2011, 12:00 AM
I don't get it, why is the best music player eva not included in the poll?

Throne777
April 22nd, 2011, 12:04 AM
Banshee, occasionally XBMC (though it's not a particularly great music manager) if I'm in the midst of a film watching session.

My only two criticisms of Banshee are:
1) It's library watcher is totally useless, so I've just turned it off & add albums manually.

2) It's awful at dealing with my Creative Zen X-Fi. It rarely ever works (it usually just recognises it, then fails to load the library, fails to transfer songs & fails to unmount). Which is a pain.

gnomeuser
April 22nd, 2011, 12:38 AM
Banshee, occasionally XBMC (though it's not a particularly great music manager) if I'm in the midst of a film watching session.

My only two criticisms of Banshee are:
1) It's library watcher is totally useless, so I've just turned it off & add albums manually.

2) It's awful at dealing with my Creative Zen X-Fi. It rarely ever works (it usually just recognises it, then fails to load the library, fails to transfer songs & fails to unmount). Which is a pain.

You'll be happy to know that 1 is much less of a problem now that we got gio-sharp fixed.

2. You are welcome to file bugs for the problems you have with your device:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/banshee-suckth-the-big-one-or-how-to-correctly-file-a-bug-and-stop-worrying/

If it is using mtp though that is problematic, every device seems to implement it wrong in its own different way. libmtp is likely the right place to start, though it hard to fix without access to the device.

Elfy
April 22nd, 2011, 06:42 AM
Yes I would like Banshee, Clementine, and other added to the options please. I didn't know they could be changed. Thanks

Done

gnomeuser
April 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM

If you experience memory leaking using the Library Watcher, please ensure that you use gio-sharp 0.3+ as that should resolve memory usage issues.

As for the rest of the issues mentioned, please file them

koleoptero
April 22nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Videos: VLC
Music: cmus

I'd vote clementine since I like it a lot but they've switched to using phonon from version 0.7 :(

ivanovnegro
April 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Videos: VLC
Music: cmus

I'd vote clementine since I like it a lot but they've switched to using phonon from version 0.7 :(

Clementine using Phonon, that is absoluteley not the case. It is using only GStreamer.
Clementine Wiki (http://code.google.com/p/clementine-player/wiki/FAQ)

koleoptero
April 22nd, 2011, 02:45 PM
Clementine using Phonon, that is absoluteley not the case. It is using only GStreamer.
Clementine Wiki (http://code.google.com/p/clementine-player/wiki/FAQ)

So why did it want to pull in phonon when I tried to install it from their download page? Clearly the wiki needs updating. Or perhaps phonon does a completely different job from gstreamer and I'm talking rubbish lol. Anyway it wants phonon. At least the latest version's .deb from their site does.

ivanovnegro
April 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
So why did it want to pull in phonon when I tried to install it from their download page? Clearly the wiki needs updating. Or perhaps phonon does a completely different job from gstreamer and I'm talking rubbish lol. Anyway it wants phonon. At least the latest version's .deb from their site does.

Im compiling myself, so I dont know what happened with the deb files, maybe you should file a bug. I assure you it uses GStreamer, they dropped Phonon totally, Im also very active in the project and the Wiki is very recent.
Maybe try the Clementine PPA.

koleoptero
April 22nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Im compiling myself, so I dont know what happened with the deb files, maybe you should file a bug. I assure you it uses GStreamer, they dropped Phonon totally, Im also very active in the project and the Wiki is very recent.
Maybe try the Clementine PPA.

Well I'll be formatting next week to move to xubuntu. I'd love to continue using clementine because it's exactly what I want in an audio player, and not as cumbersome as some others (coughbansheecough). I was very disappointed when I saw it wanted phonon, so hooray if it doesn't. I had been using 0.6 since it made it to 10.10's backports. Now I'll keep using it. :)

D-G
April 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Foobar 2000. Why? Fully customizable layout. "Programmable" album list browser. Unmatched tag editing with free form tags. Really, really, really fast.

If I had to limit myself to native Linux applications I'd choose Quod Libet.

Players I would never ever use again, even at gunpoint: Banshee, Exaile, Songbird, Amarok. Utter crap. All of them.

EarthMind
April 22nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
Potplayer windows, (S)Mplayer Linux.

Chronon
April 22nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Lately I've been partial to ncmpcpp running in a drop-down terminal session (guake or yakuake).

neu5eeCh
April 22nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Monkey's Audio on Windows.

I don't bother trying to manage my music (over 200 Gigs) on Linux.

I still haven't found a Linux Media Player that will import playlists automatically - but maybe that's changed recently?

From a serious music collector's perspective, Linux is a 2-bit, barely minor league, player. It can be done, but the work, to do it, isn't worth it. My biggest gripe is that Linux File managers, in general, can't read meta-data (I had this "epic" argument on another thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1572270&page=9)). Linux File Managers are a decade behind Windows. I rotate through Banshee, Clementine, Amarok, Rhythmbox to play my library when on Linux, but I don't use any of them to manage the library. They all tend to turn green and die ugly, ugly deaths.

kelt65
April 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
Quod Libet: only player I know of that appropriately organizes classical music according to composer, conductor, and performers.

I find this a huge problem as well - will have to try this one. Rythmbox makes the worst mess out of classical music. And hey, performer and composer aren't always the same in pop music either.

Lucradia
April 22nd, 2011, 10:59 PM
Movie Player / Parole.

GStreamer, Simplicity, Repeat One-Track, Doesn't add files to playlist as you open them.

My kind of player.

northwestuntu
April 23rd, 2011, 12:18 AM
vlc just rocks! :D

neu5eeCh
April 23rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by krapp http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10697443#post10697443)

Thanks for that tip, krapp. All of my music is classical, one of the reasons I use Monkey Audio.

neu5eeCh
April 23rd, 2011, 01:00 AM
Alas, Quod Libet, like every other audio player in Linux, doesn't appear able to automatically import Playlists. I don't get it. Am I the only person on the planet who uses this functionality? I can point Monkey Audio to my *massive* music folder and it will seek out and import every playlist automatically. On Linux, in no matter which player I've tried, I have to: One. By. One. Im. Port. Each. Play. List. Mouse. Click. Af. Ter. Mouse. Click.

Oh well...

HappinessNow
April 23rd, 2011, 01:02 AM
Other...I prefer the Amazon Cloud Player:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5259/1screenshot201104221645.th.png (http://img156.imageshack.us/i/1screenshot201104221645.png/)

Version Dependency
April 23rd, 2011, 02:07 AM
MPD/Sonata for music.

Totem for movies.

aeiah
April 23rd, 2011, 09:18 AM
mpd for music. its pretty awesome. i run two mpd daemons on my desktop - the first outputs to my speakers and outputs an http stream, and the other just outputs an http stream.

i can stream across the house, have two different things playing in two different rooms, and control all this from any pc (using gmpc, ncmpcpp or xbmc) or android phone (using mpdroid) on the network. its great when the weather is nice and i can stream to a device thats attached to the living room speakers, but control it from outside with a phone.

its also super fast at library updates and handles my 12500 songs with ease.

most video is watched on an HDTV using xbmc, but desktop video is done through mplayer

i cant believe none of these are in the poll. bleh.

agnes
April 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
Guayadeque for music. I like the (customizable) layout, it makes it easier for me to manage my collection, and it reads all my tags correctly. I have relatively much classical music too but have since long just put the composer under 'Artist' and the conductor and performers under 'Composer'... too lazy to change that now.
@VTPoet, Guayadeque can automatically import all the playlists in your music folder.

SMPlayer for movies.

plurworldinc
April 23rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Right now I must say hands down, Boxee. One of the biggest problems I had when I moved over to Linux from Windows was the lack of a good, polished media center with all of the bells and whistles that the world can bring with it in a nice easy to use package.

Antarctica32
May 10th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I'm a little surprised. I knew how everybody loves vlc with it being compatible with Linux, Windows, and mac, but I thought it would be about a tie between vlc and rhythmbox. Perhaps I should Have created 2 separate polls: 1 for music, and 1 for videos?

jruberto
May 10th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I'm a little surprised. I knew how everybody loves vlc with it being compatible with Linux, Windows, and mac, but I thought it would be about a tie between vlc and rhythmbox. Perhaps I should Have created 2 separate polls: 1 for music, and 1 for videos?

Yep, "preferred media player" can mean a lot of things to different people.

As an audio engineer, i deal with a lot of high-bitrate/sample rate files that most media players just won't play, as well as odd file formats. VLC will play just about anything you throw at it, no questions asked. Broken files, weird codecs, nonstandard bitrate/sample rate, no problem. It's super lightweight, cross-platform (all my multimedia work still happens in Windows), and of course FOSS.

As a music lover / listener, I don't really care about any of that nerdy stuff. I want a decent interface to my music library, last.fm integration, ID3 tags, maybe some cool visualizations. VLC is TERRIBLE at media library. And honestly I don't think Rhythmbox is amazing in any of these respects, but it's good enough that I haven't been compelled to go look for something better. (Tho some of the responses here have gotten me interested in checking out some better options)

Antarctica32
May 10th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Yep, "preferred media player" can mean a lot of things to different people.

As an audio engineer, i deal with a lot of high-bitrate/sample rate files that most media players just won't play, as well as odd file formats. VLC will play just about anything you throw at it, no questions asked. Broken files, weird codecs, nonstandard bitrate/sample rate, no problem. It's super lightweight, cross-platform (all my multimedia work still happens in Windows), and of course FOSS.

As a music lover / listener, I don't really care about any of that nerdy stuff. I want a decent interface to my music library, last.fm integration, ID3 tags, maybe some cool visualizations. VLC is TERRIBLE at media library. And honestly I don't think Rhythmbox is amazing in any of these respects, but it's good enough that I haven't been compelled to go look for something better. (Tho some of the responses here have gotten me interested in checking out some better options)

Yeh a big thing I hear a lot is that VLC can play anything. I hardly ever have to play videos so I never really got into it. My physics teacher uses VLC in class to play stupid little videos to help us understand the stuff. He tells me that he has never had any problems with VLC. Personally, rhythmbox is just right for me. I like it better than any other I have tried. The controls just always seem to be intuitive. Oh, and it was easiest to configure internet radio stations, which I use A LOT.

Fedz
May 10th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Audio: Exaile (http://Exaile.org) :guitar:
Everything else: VLC (http://Videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html) :popcorn:

VCoolio
May 10th, 2011, 10:29 PM
audio: mpd, with ncmpcpp or gmpc as frontend. It's as lightweight as it gets, which is cool because music is always the background to other stuff I'm doing that need the power.

video: smplayer, has the best combi of features I use (easy subtitles support, that took vlc a very long time; also subtitle download option which most others lack), only downside is it's qt, but that goes for vlc as well. I don't mind that since video is a fullscreen thing so the rest of the gui doesn't bother me.

Bandit
May 10th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Hmm.. very good poll.

Ironically VLC and Rhythmbox are the two most preferred media applications, yet they are both not included on the base install of Ubuntu.

I wonder why is this, Rbox and Totem used the base media players. Why Rbox was removed?

rich52x
May 10th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I used to dig Rhythmbox a lot, since 11.04 though, I've loved banshee, seems nicer looking and has more features than Rhythmbox, and it plays video, is Rhythmbox able to do that? o.O

Antarctica32
May 11th, 2011, 12:04 AM
no it doesn't play video.

urukrama
May 11th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Mocp, generally. If I want a GUI audio player, I use QuodLibet, as it has the cleanest interface.

Antarctica32
May 11th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Hmm.. very good poll.

Ironically VLC and Rhythmbox are the two most preferred media applications, yet they are both not included on the base install of Ubuntu.

I wonder why is this, Rbox and Totem used the base media players. Why Rbox was removed?

As an ubuntu noob I was never around when rbox was preinstalled. I too wonder why anybody wouldn't want it pre-installed. Maybe because a CD can only hold so much and they can't waste room with programs people can just install themselves. Someday the install file will become to great for a CD and it will just go to USB flash drives/dvd/other. Besides, the number of computers that can't install by USB are greatly decreasing. Someday there will be none left. Thats a sad thought.

Antarctica32
May 11th, 2011, 12:09 AM
audio: mpd, with ncmpcpp or gmpc as frontend. It's as lightweight as it gets, which is cool because music is always the background to other stuff I'm doing that need the power.

video: smplayer, has the best combi of features I use (easy subtitles support, that took vlc a very long time; also subtitle download option which most others lack), only downside is it's qt, but that goes for vlc as well. I don't mind that since video is a fullscreen thing so the rest of the gui doesn't bother me.

Love the avatar

NightwishFan
May 11th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Rhythmbox can play video. It is not designed to be used as such, but I have had mpeg files play with a pop up video player.

_outlawed_
May 11th, 2011, 03:58 AM
VLC for videos, Audacious for music.

neu5eeCh
May 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM
@VTPoet, Guayadeque can automatically import all the playlists in your music folder.

This is late in coming, but wanted to thank you for the tip on Guayadeeque. I couldn't find it in the repositories at first (preferred that to a deb install). As you promised, the player automatically imported all my playlists. As far as I know, the only linux media player that does it!?! Astonishing.

heartbeatz
May 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
On Mac I like Qtime and on Linux my fave player is QuodLibet.

mcduck
May 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM
MPD of course. With Sonata as GUI client and ncmpcpp for CLI use. :)

What come sto video player, it doesn't really matter to me. Whatever shows the video file in question. Totem seems to work just fine, and if not, then VLC.