PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 vs Ubuntu 11.04

reddognp
April 20th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I have gotten used to ubuntu 11.04 and got almost everything to work except my wireless printer. What is your opinion on my situation?:confused:

mr.farenheit
April 20th, 2011, 06:26 AM
give it time and someone will come up with a fix

Spice Weasel
April 20th, 2011, 10:41 AM
i wouldn't use either

krapp
April 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Keep your Windows partition if you're dual-booting. No sense in deleting it if you paid for it. Just use Ubuntu day-to-day.

walt.smith1960
April 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM
I have gotten used to ubuntu 11.04 and got almost everything to work except my wireless printer. What is your opinion on my situation?:confused:

Which wireless printer? If Lexmark/Dell, that can be a problem. If Canon check Australian/Asian/European Canon websites for software. HP is usually plug & play. Brother has Linux packages for most if not all its printers & MFDs. I think Epson is good but no experience. You could look here: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting to see if your printer is listed. Be aware that this site is not exactly up-to-date.

walt.smith1960
April 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Keep your Windows partition if you're dual-booting. No sense in deleting it if you paid for it. Just use Ubuntu day-to-day.

Excellent advice if for no other reason than troubleshooting new hardware.

reddognp
April 25th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I got my wireless Kodak printer to work. I am staying with Ubuntu!

santy_kushwaha
April 29th, 2011, 04:39 AM
as said by others what kind of printer are you using? I just figure out my brother wireless printer there was linux driver for it at brothers website... google ur printer and see if there is any linux driver available

reddognp
June 3rd, 2011, 12:51 PM
It is a Kodak printer, but it prints in purple and pink only. ?? SO I am going to get an HP printer sometime. I am using Ubuntu 11.04 on my machine and been using a Virtual Machine for Windows 7, I wanted to Dual Boot but I can't stand that ugly bootloader. So yes, that is my setup for now.

BrokenKingpin
June 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Can you not just plug the printer into the computer if you want to print from it? I wouldn't ditch a whole OS just because a printer isn't playing nice.

NormanFLinux
June 5th, 2011, 10:55 PM
If its a USB device, Ubuntu will support it. Almost every piece of new hardware is designed to work without special drivers - and wireless cards in particular are almost all Linux-friendly.

nzjethro
June 7th, 2011, 10:13 AM
give it time and someone will come up with a fix

Chances are there's already a fix floating around out there - just a matter of hunting it down.

I'm dual booting Win 7 with Maverick, and haven't been on Windows for over a month (and loving it!)

mips
June 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I'm getting tire of these Win X vs Ubuntu X junk threads polluting the forum.

rvchari
June 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Chances are there's already a fix floating around out there - just a matter of hunting it down.

I'm dual booting Win 7 with Maverick, and haven't been on Windows for over a month (and loving it!)

same here... but i log on to win7 once in abt 3 to 4 months... that too just to update the antivirus !!! cant stand there for long !!! ubuntu 10.10 seems to take care of all i need... and that too in safe n secure way !