PDA

View Full Version : What makes SLitaz that fast ?

linuxyogi
April 20th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Hi,
What makes Slitaz so fast ?

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 on the old Celeron PC with fluxbox as DE.

Despite using fluxbox its still not as fast as slitaz.

Plumtreed
April 20th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Slitaz is small to enable it to run entirely in ram and therefore appears to be very fast.

Spice Weasel
April 20th, 2011, 10:43 AM
It's stripped down, optimized and runs in memory.

If you're not using Ubuntu Server you're probably also using the GNOME display manager which slows the PC down like 'eck, along with all of the other stuff that Ubuntu runs on start up.

linuxyogi
April 20th, 2011, 02:25 PM
If you're not using Ubuntu Server you're probably also using the GNOME display manager which slows the PC down like 'eck, along with all of the other stuff that Ubuntu runs on start up.

I am actually running fluxbox over a Xubuntu. So, is GNOME display manager running in my case ?

along with all of the other stuff that Ubuntu runs on start up.

Is there a way to remove/disable them ?

Thanks to both.

Spice Weasel
April 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I am actually running fluxbox over a Xubuntu. So, is GNOME display manager running in my case ?

Yes. Xubuntu includes GNOME display manager for some reason. apt-get removing *gnome* then installing LXDM or another lighter one might be a good idea.

You might also want to try compiling a version of the kernel from kernel.org and configuring it for your hardware. The Linux kernel is one of the easiest things to compile, it has a nice configuration GUI/TUI and you don't have to worry about dependencies. It's worth it for the speed increase.

linuxyogi
April 20th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Yes. Xubuntu includes GNOME display manager for some reason. apt-get removing *gnome* then installing LXDM or another lighter one might be a good idea.

Just did it. I can see some improvement. I don't want to sound repeatitive but still Slitaz is faster.

You might also want to try compiling a version of the kernel from kernel.org and configuring it for your hardware. The Linux kernel is one of the easiest things to compile, it has a nice configuration GUI/TUI and you don't have to worry about dependencies. It's worth it for the speed increase.

Never done that before. I will end up breaking the installation.

Let me tell you the apps I am using

Browser: elinks (text only)
midori
Email: sylpheed
Multimedia : mplayer (cli)
Torrent Client : deluge

Tried rtorrent but its seems quite complicated.

Spice Weasel
April 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Deluge is sloowww. Try transmission from your browser. Run transmission-daemon then navigate to http://127.0.0.1:9091/transmission/web/#all

Very fast.

linuxyogi
April 20th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Deluge is sloowww. Try transmission from your browser. Run transmission-daemon then navigate to http://127.0.0.1:9091/transmission/web/#all

Very fast.

Okay, I will try that the next I need to download something & tell you how it goes.:D

Dlambert
April 23rd, 2011, 02:06 PM
SLitaz is also under 30MB, whereas (Livecd) of ubuntu is 600 Some.

linuxyogi
July 15th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Installed Natty Minimal Install.

Everything runs smoothly including FF, Deluge.