PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Will Ubuntu run on HP Dm4?

cbennett926
April 19th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hi, I have been debating on buying the Dm4 series Hp Laptop, I would really like to run Ubuntu on it as a full install but I have heard different problems people have and would like to know if Ubuntu 11.04 or 10.04 would run on it? If not what would be a good alternitive to this?

Mark Phelps
April 19th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Unless someone else here has actually tried Ubuntu on this laptop, the only way you will know is to boot it using an Ubuntu LiveCD (or the USB equivalent).

There is so much variance in laptop hardware, and the drivers needed for the same, that only a live test will tell you for sure.

ghostborg
April 19th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I had an older Hp laptop zv6031us that I tried it on and the only problem I had was finding sound and wifi drivers.

After I tried the live cd I used the WUBI installer which
allows you to install Ubuntu on the same partition as Windows which gives you some time to play around with it before wiping out Windows or dual booting. The live cd can give you a good idea of how Ubuntu will play nice with your hardware but is limited to a point of actually trying it out which is why WUBI is a good next step.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer