PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Heeelp!

kaourinio
April 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hello Everybody
I have already posted two unanswered post, as you see . This mainly a desktop problem as my panels have dissapeared and I can't restore them. Maybe is something easy to be fixed but I've tried a lot as you can see in previous posts.
Thnks in advance for helping me!

Post 1:

"http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon7.gif Missing Panels&Terminal not working after upgrade
After upgrading ubuntu 10.04 above problems have arisen. The only thing I can see at start up is bg image desktop and my files but no panels. I tried restoring them through terminal(ctl+alt+f1 or f2) but nothing happened.Terminal commands are not executed!
It's very strange that in the past I upgraded same system from 9.04 to 10.04 and everything went good.
(While upgrading both times, I was asked if I wanted to maintain menu.lst, and both times I replied keep local menu.lst-second choice. )
What about know?What going on?
IS there any way to restore my system in a previous state?
I though to change menu.lst or rewrite it but I do not have at least a live cd!
Also, I am a new user o f ubuntu if you consider that I using them almost one year!
Thank you

Post 2:

"Re: Missing Panels&Terminal not working after upgrade
It seems that my case is a really "rare incident", judging from the 0 replies.:sad:
But.....I can tell that every time I had any problem with ubuntu the last year, always an answer was hidden somewhere.
I suppose, that my system during update manager schedule for updating also upgraded my system.
Did anybody experience same problems after upgrading from10.04 to 11.04?
Can anybody help me to solve this problem indirectly?Either by restoring my system to a previous state or by advising me on how to use terminal (I mean this type of full-screen terminal ctr+shift+f1-6) in order to execute some commands?Cause I can't execute commands (always saying that
Can anybody advice on how to initialize gnome-terminal from desktop ?(Neither, I have panels to do it so nor shortcuts like ctr+shift+T are working?
What should i do?
Thanks"

3Miro
April 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Go to the terminal (With Ctr + Alt + F1), then add a new user to your machine:

sudo adduser newuser
(change newuser to whatever name you want).

Setup a password for the new user and then reboot and try to login as the newuser. Check to see if the panels are OK then. If the panels are working, fixing it will be a smile manner.

samacaster
April 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Curious as to why you would upgrade from a LTS release to a regular 6 month release. 10.04 LTS will be supported well after Maverick and Natty are not. Natty is not officially released yet, and there are bugs.

My advice to anyone wanting to go to 11.04 Natty is to back up the home folder and do a fresh install after it is released on the 28th.

kaourinio
April 25th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for your help!
sudo adduser newuser worked as to make a new user but it didn't fixed the problem at all.
It seems that command order to make new users is working but if I type commands like killall gnome-panel nothing is done.
Anyway, I suppose the only solution is to install a new copy of ubuntu 10.04 and everyhting will be ok.
Thanks alot!