PDA

View Full Version : Should Canonical support Lubuntu?

Linux_junkie
April 19th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Its coming up to the release date of Natty (11.04) and all variants of Ubuntu except Lubuntu have on their respective websites the beta2 version (RC) of Natty. I personally would like to see Lubuntu officially become part of the Ubuntu family. What about you?

BrokenKingpin
April 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I do not see why not, especially if it would get them to put out a 64-bit version.

pjalegria
April 19th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I agree, why not??? is execelent variant of Ubuntu!!!

kabloink
April 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I think they should. Since lxde is still one of the better desktops for netbooks.

Paqman
April 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I believe they've said they would, once the community proved that it was ready.

Lucradia
April 19th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I believe they've said they would, once the community proved that it was ready.

I would like it if the community got it to work with LiLi first before canonical supports it.

frankbooth
April 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
yes! Extremely well done variant of Ubuntu and very lightweight.

arkanabar
April 28th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Lubuntu is the only variant I'll use, without turning to Mint. I've never liked Canonical's KDE or XFCE implementations, and I don't want to switch to Unity.

Version Dependency
April 28th, 2011, 11:24 PM
It's what I recommend to everyone that has older hardware. Lubuntu breathes life back into ten year old machines.

Throne777
April 28th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I think in this age where even running the OS takes a powerful computer, it's nice to find an OS that wilfully bucks the trend.

Flash858
April 28th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Definitely. As Unity and Gnome 3 are both completely unusable, it is likely what I will be running eventually.

Incidentally, you can get a 64 bit version by installing 64 bit Ubuntu server, then installing the lubuntu-desktop package in the terminal...

chrisTGc
April 29th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Hi,
Yes, i have Lubuntu 11.04 installed here and it is teriffic. I used to use Ubuntu or Arch on my desktop but since living full time on my boat have confined myself to this netbook. Very fast and the low power usage is needed since no mains electricity, small geny and solar panel only.
Best wishes, Chris.

aysiu
April 29th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I don't see why it has to be official.

pi3.1415926535...
April 29th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I think that Lubuntu may eventually come to replace Xubuntu, since LXDE is lighter than XFCE.

K_45
April 29th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I think that Lubuntu may eventually come to replace Xubuntu, since LXDE is lighter than XFCE.

Only a few MB difference if you have 4GiB of RAM, less RAM little change. And XFCE has always been lightweight. The window manager on my system is using 10MB. Xubuntu isn't a pure XFCE, its bloated up with GNOME dependencies.

radar920
April 29th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I will continue using it regardless, it works great on this old laptop.

humturtle39
April 29th, 2011, 03:00 AM
I used Lubuntu to breath new life into my dad's old laptop and was surprised how pretty and easy to use it was. So a yes vote from me, but at the end of the day, who cares anyway, they're doing a wonderful job without Canonical's support.

NightwishFan
April 29th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Definitely. As Unity and Gnome 3 are both completely unusable

This is an opinion not a fact.

castrojo
April 29th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I personally would like to see Lubuntu officially become part of the Ubuntu family. What about you?

Lubuntu sessions will be scheduled for this UDS (again), and there's been lots of progress as far as making this happen for real.

I'm not on the lubuntu team or the release team but keep an eye out during UDS in 2 weeks and after.

Flash858
May 1st, 2011, 05:44 AM
This is an opinion not a fact.

Of course it is an opinion. This is a forum after all...LOL

This however is (or will soon be) a fact: Linux Mint is GOING to surpass Ubuntu as the #1 Distro at Distrowatch very soon (I'd give it 3 months, tops), and this saddens me.

Unity is pointless. So is Gnome 3. (NEWS FLASH: THIS IS MY OPINION)

This is why people are switching to other desktops in DROVES (read some other forums, I am not the only one who shares this opinion). I personally am hoping for something like the Trinity project to crop up for Gnome 2.32. Were I a developer, I would be doing it myself.

There is ZERO benefit to either of these environments. None. Nada. Zippo. Just more and more clicks to get where I am trying to go.

I find both to be totally counter intuitive, restrictive, aesthetically horrid, and worst of all, change for the sake of change without any purpose, benefit, merit, or improvement to the existing desktop. Rather, both G3 and Unity are complete and utter regressions. Ubuntu is NEVER going to compete with Windows using the Unity interface. (IN MY OWN, UNIQUE, AND PERSONAL OPINION)

So I currently have 10.10 and Lubuntu 11.04 for getting work done, and as I have not fiddled with KDE since 3.5, I am running Kubuntu 11.04 to learn it for when support runs out for all flavors of Ubuntu with Gnome 2.32. I also have Ubuntu 11.04, as well as Open SUSE 11.4 and Windows 7 in my boot loader (I guess I need to update my signature...), and while I have used the "classic" desktop in 11.04, it is not the same. I know it is brand new, and the kinks are not worked out yet, but it does not feel as responsive as 10.10, there seem to be some conflicts with Compiz, and removing the Unity plugin makes the system VERY angry...

So Lubuntu may well be in my future, and it is already running my laptop. I am quite happy with it, and look forward to its progression. It will be something I use going forward.

*This post, and all of its content, is, in fact, an OPINION. In fact, it is MY opinion. My opinion may differ from yours...

NightwishFan
May 1st, 2011, 05:49 AM
I feel you have vastly over estimated the situation. Canonical is as successful as ever. I am indifferent. I wish them (and Linux Mint) the best.

For every single Ubuntu release I have been on these forums for it has been the same old song. "Ubuntu switched to pulseaudio!!??" "Ubuntu is still using the ugly orange?!" "They said they would switch to a new theme but I hate the new one too!" "They moved the Window buttons!?" blah blah blah.

Ubuntu has more users than ever.

I also do like constructive criticism though do not get me wrong. In my personal opinion Ubuntu could be doing better.

Nyromith
May 1st, 2011, 07:21 AM
Only if it's not instead of xubuntu.

Flash858
May 10th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Well, I see what you are saying, but you are UNDER estimating the situation. The little changes you mentioned were just that: minor, and revertible changes. You could change the theme (I still have a glassy Human theme I created in 8.04 that I have carried through to 10.10. I still switch to it occasionally), move the buttons back, install Gimp, remove Pulse Audio and revert to ALSA, etc.

Unity is the shell. As of 11.10, it will no longer be an option to run the "classic" desktop. This is a fundamental change, and one I disagree with. It is so patently obvious that Mark S. is obsessed with turning Ubuntu into OSX, which in my opinion is the single most horrendous OS ever devised. I am forced to use it 8 hours a day, as the current project I am on is for bloody Apple, and every solitary thing about it is utterly counter-intuitive to me. The entire concept of the global menu should have been drowned as a pup, along with whomever thought of it (again - my opinion).

As much as I want to embrace diversity in Linux, there are just some horribly bad ideas out there.

Unity is at the very top of that list, followed closely by Gnome 3.

I do not know how long you have been using Ubuntu, but I, like others, feel completely betrayed by Canonical. We have helped get it to the elevated status that it currently enjoys (Ubuntu is practically synonymous with Linux these days) , and frankly, with one brushstroke, they have effectively turned their backs on us, told us to switch to another distro, and focused entirely on the new, younger demographic of upcoming potential users. Mark S. stated this plainly.

I now feel about Ubuntu (and Gnome) the way I feel about my ex-wife. I wish I could get all of those years back, as I now feel as they have been completely wasted. My time would have been better spent learning the intricacies of Debian, or SUSE with KDE or XFCE. While I am OK with using both, I am far from possessing the level of knowledge with either desktop that I have with Gnome 2x.

It is exceedingly frustrating when you have spent so much time trying to promote something as I have with Ubuntu (many, many people know me as "the Ubuntu guy"), and then it simply becomes something I cannot in good conscious suggest to a new user any longer.

K_45
May 10th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Well, I see what you are saying, but you are UNDER estimating the situation. The little changes you mentioned were just that: minor, and revertible changes. You could change the theme (I still have a glassy Human theme I created in 8.04 that I have carried through to 10.10. I still switch to it occasionally), move the buttons back, install Gimp, remove Pulse Audio and revert to ALSA, etc.

Unity is the shell. As of 11.10, it will no longer be an option to run the "classic" desktop. This is a fundamental change, and one I disagree with. It is so patently obvious that Mark S. is obsessed with turning Ubuntu into OSX, which in my opinion is the single most horrendous OS ever devised. I am forced to use it 8 hours a day, as the current project I am on is for bloody Apple, and every solitary thing about it is utterly counter-intuitive to me. The entire concept of the global menu should have been drowned as a pup, along with whomever thought of it (again - my opinion).

As much as I want to embrace diversity in Linux, there are just some horribly bad ideas out there.

Unity is at the very top of that list, followed closely by Gnome 3.

I do not know how long you have been using Ubuntu, but I, like others, feel completely betrayed by Canonical. We have helped get it to the elevated status that it currently enjoys (Ubuntu is practically synonymous with Linux these days) , and frankly, with one brushstroke, they have effectively turned their backs on us, told us to switch to another distro, and focused entirely on the new, younger demographic of upcoming potential users. Mark S. stated this plainly.

I now feel about Ubuntu (and Gnome) the way I feel about my ex-wife. I wish I could get all of those years back, as I now feel as they have been completely wasted. My time would have been better spent learning the intricacies of Debian, or SUSE with KDE or XFCE. While I am OK with using both, I am far from possessing the level of knowledge with either desktop that I have with Gnome 2x.

It is exceedingly frustrating when you have spent so much time trying to promote something as I have with Ubuntu (many, many people know me as "the Ubuntu guy"), and then it simply becomes something I cannot in good conscious suggest to a new user any longer.

You knew this was the direction Ubuntu was heading in though? It will try to be a commercial alternative to Windows, eventually. There will always be Debian though . . . :D