PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] which version of ubuntu

ozonora
April 19th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hi!

I am going to do a fresh installation of Ubuntu in the next few days.

I have two questions:

Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 10.10 or do I wait for Ubuntu 11.04?
Ubuntu 32 or Ubuntu 64? (My processor is 64 bits, but I can see that Ubuntu's download web suggests downloading the 32 bits version)

sanderd17
April 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM
What kind of user are you? if you want the latest and greatest and you love to fix computers, install the beta. If you prefer something that "just works", then you should go for the LTS release: 10.04.

If your processor supports 64-bit, use that. The only reason that 32-bit is the default is because not everybody knows what processor he has, so in case of doubt, the 32-bit version always works.

ozonora
April 19th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Thank you. I'm studying computer science but when I use my computer I want it to work. So I don't want to install any betas, but I don't know if 11.04 (once released) is less advisable for general users than 10.04.

I asked about the 64 bits because several months ago I was said in a forum (I think it wasn't this one) that I can find trouble with 64 bits... Something about having to recompile software and that. Is this information incorrect?

Thank you again!

minerbog
April 19th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Thank you. I'm studying computer science but when I use my computer I want it to work.

For this ozonora I would suggest 10.04 as this is the last LTS (long Term Support) version of Ubuntu. This is supported until mid 2015. However, there is nothing to stop you installing 10.04 and another version, say 11.04, then you could use the stable version for work and the other for play ! :)

Regards,

Gavin.
http://www.gavinsharp.co.uk (http://www.gavinsharp.co.uk/blog)

Frogs Hair
April 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Thank you. I'm studying computer science but when I use my computer I want it to work. So I don't want to install any betas, but I don't know if 11.04 (once released) is less advisable for general users than 10.04.

I asked about the 64 bits because several months ago I was said in a forum (I think it wasn't this one) that I can find trouble with 64 bits... Something about having to recompile software and that. Is this information incorrect?

Thank you again!

I have had no software conflicts with 64 bit , but there is always the possibility you may need an application that only has a 32 bit version.
I just haven't found one.

mörgæs
April 19th, 2011, 04:39 PM
For this ozonora I would suggest 10.04 as this is the last LTS (long Term Support) version of Ubuntu. This is supported until mid 2015.

Since we have not heard of a server, let's assume that this is a desktop installation. This means that 10.04 will be supported until 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Version_timeline

As for whether to choose 10.04 or 10.10, there is really no answer other than 'try a live boot and see what works best on your computer'.