PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu 10.10 & toshiba laptop

timcs
April 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hi

I have been trying to install Xubuntu 10.10 onto this laptop but during the installation process where it is detecting the drive, it comes up and reports that the /dev/sda6 is busy. As I have gone straight to install from the grub menu I am unsure why this is.

In an attempt to solve this, I decided to partition the drive via the installations partition software but this has made no difference. Is there someway of solving this?

Dutch70
April 19th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I would try selecting "Try Ubuntu" to see if it will run on your hardware. That won't cause you to get a sda6 is busy error, neither will choosing "install" keep you from getting it. That may give some more insight to your problem.

timcs
April 19th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I would try selecting "Try Ubuntu" to see if it will run on your hardware. That won't cause you to get a sda6 is busy error, neither will choosing "install" keep you from getting it. That may give some more insight to your problem.

Okay Dutch70 , I have to say though it has been only ubuntu distros that I have had this issue before on this laptop. However oddly enough I can install ubuntu 10.04 on it :confused:

Dutch70
April 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
There seems to be some differences in the installer of 10.04 vs 10.10. I've seen on here a few times that someone can't install 10.10, but 10.04 goes fine for them. Then there is the issue with 10.10 installing alongside windows, but 10.04 works fine for that too. So, I don't know, but I think it's the installer. Which means that you should be able to run 10.10 from the live cd, but may still have trouble installing it.

I don't know anything about it, but have you tried the alternate cd install?

timcs
April 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM
There seems to be some differences in the installer of 10.04 vs 10.10. I've seen on here a few times that someone can't install 10.10, but 10.04 goes fine for them. Then there is the issue with 10.10 installing alongside windows, but 10.04 works fine for that too. So, I don't know, but I think it's the installer. Which means that you should be able to run 10.10 from the live cd, but may still have trouble installing it.

I don't know anything about it, but have you tried the alternate cd install?

Running the try Xubuntu at the moment - that seems fine (slow due to running of a CD of course) Might try the install from there but I will expect the same issue.

Might give the alternate option ago .

timcs
April 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM
the alternate install seems to have done the trick, thanks for that Dutch70

Dutch70
April 19th, 2011, 07:32 PM
You're welcome, glad to hear it worked out for you. :)