PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus ignores my file associations

hashcode
April 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Hi, I have my default text files (also source codes etc.) associated with gedit (checked with ubuntu tweak). However, nautilus tries it to open with some "notepad" - dunno what it is I don't even have such a program. Files are OK, opening them directly from gedit or vim is fine.

Some weird things:

- nautilus correctly displays gedit icon
- I have dualboot system with windows 7 and notepad command looks like it came from "there"
- when I click on open with -> gedit, file is correctly open. However this option is not remembered by nautilus (even though I checked it as always open with ...)
- nautilus (after clicking on open with) also suggest to use some "iexplore" command, I totally don't have idea where that came from ...

Any suggestions? I really don't feel like using another file manager, but opening text files is pretty elementeray action and should work properly.

Thanks

Copper Bezel
April 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM
- nautilus (after clicking on open with) also suggest to use some "iexplore" command, I totally don't have idea where that came from ...

Holy crap. What the hell came with your Wine install?!

In any case, Nautilus uses Gnome's file associations; it doesn't store its own. Open your mimetype associations file with gedit by running this:

gedit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

and look for the line beginning "text/plain"; it should look sort of like

text/plain=gedit.desktop;

mikewhatever
April 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Can you post the output of the following command:

cat /etc/lsb-release

...just curious what version of Ubuntu you are running.

Krytarik
April 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Wine meddles pretty hefty with file associations and the "Open With" menu, unless you disable all its apps for mimetypes. So, that part is no surprise at all. See here on how to disable them: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10479920#post10479920

Also, please post the entire content of "mimeapps.list" Copper was referring to.

hashcode
April 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks for responses. I don't have Wine installation, that's super bonus :D

Copper Bezel - gedit is right there, strange.

Mikewhater - nothing special there, see for yourself
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"

Krytarik - here are contents for mimeapps.list

[Added Associations]
application/x-rar=mount-archive.desktop;
text/html=userapp-firefox-5YOTTV.desktop;userapp-firefox-5R2VTV.desktop;google-chrome.desktop;
application/x-chm=evince.desktop;
audio/x-mod=vlc.desktop;
application/xspf+xml=vlc.desktop;
text/x-java=gedit.desktop;
text/plain=gedit.desktop;

[Removed Associations]
text/plain=wine-extension-txt.desktop;

I don't mind reinstalling thing unless is whole distro.
The only thing I messed with I can remember is unity and macbuntu, nothing more.

Krytarik
April 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I don't have Wine installation, that's super bonus :D

I guess you mean Wubi, right? Wine is a Windows API emulator, and is apparently installed at your system. Please try disabling its mimetype associations by following my post I linked to.

hashcode
April 20th, 2011, 06:59 PM
No, I meant Wine. I have actual Windows operating system (dual boot) and I don't need to run windows apps from my Linux. I've never installed Wine as far as I know.
Shell doesn't recognise "wine" as any command. The only possibility is that it came with netbook edition (sudo apt-get install unity) but I don't think so. I can't even find it in installed app list using ubuntu software center, it actually gives me option to install it since it isn't instaleld on my linux yet.

When i try "locate wine" it points me to some teamviewer files, that's it.

Krytarik
April 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM
How about the content of "~/.local/share/applications" then?

Also, please check with

dpkg -l |grep wineif it's really not installed.

And remove the remnant entry from your "mimeapps.list".

Update: As it turned out, TeamViewer brings it's own Wine with it. So, those may also be able to meddle with the file associations.

hashcode
April 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Krytarik, here's output

alacarte-made-1.desktop userapp-firefox-5YOTTV.desktop wine-extension-jpeg.desktop
alacarte-made-2.desktop wine-extension-chm.desktop wine-extension-jpg.desktop
alacarte-made-3.desktop wine-extension-gif.desktop wine-extension-png.desktop
alacarte-made.desktop wine-extension-hlp.desktop wine-extension-rtf.desktop
defaults.list wine-extension-htm.desktop wine-extension-txt.desktop
mimeapps.list wine-extension-html.desktop wine-extension-wri.desktop
mimeinfo.cache wine-extension-ini.desktop wine-extension-xml.desktop
pidgin.desktop wine-extension-jfif.desktop
userapp-firefox-5R2VTV.desktop wine-extension-jpe.desktop

And
dpkg -l |grep wineprinted out nothing.

I just got rid of teamviewer but it didn't solve the issue :/

Krytarik
April 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Then delete all "wine*.desktop" files in there:

alacarte-made-1.desktop userapp-firefox-5YOTTV.desktop wine-extension-jpeg.desktop
alacarte-made-2.desktop wine-extension-chm.desktop wine-extension-jpg.desktop
alacarte-made-3.desktop wine-extension-gif.desktop wine-extension-png.desktop
alacarte-made.desktop wine-extension-hlp.desktop wine-extension-rtf.desktop
defaults.list wine-extension-htm.desktop wine-extension-txt.desktop
mimeapps.list wine-extension-html.desktop wine-extension-wri.desktop
mimeinfo.cache wine-extension-ini.desktop wine-extension-xml.desktop
pidgin.desktop wine-extension-jfif.desktop
userapp-firefox-5R2VTV.desktop wine-extension-jpe.desktop

hashcode
April 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I successfully deleted all files but Nautilus still misbehaves.

At least I can confirm, that weird stuff like "notepad" and "iexplore" disappeard from it's context menu.

Krytarik
April 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
What specific mimetype is this about?
To check it, right-click at the file and then choose "Properties".

You may try adding it manually to "mimeapps.list".

hashcode
April 20th, 2011, 10:26 PM
It's simply plain text document (text/plain)

I added it there (text/plain=gedit.desktop.;) but no result.

This really seems like case for sherlock. I really appreciate all your advices so far :)

Krytarik
April 20th, 2011, 10:40 PM
And what comes up instead of gedit?

Since it is associated with text/plain by default, you may try removing/replacing "mimeapps.list".

I am Sherlock! ;-)

hashcode
April 20th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Nothing comes up ... You can just click on file ... forever.
How should I replace that? Only removing and relogging or?

Krytarik
April 20th, 2011, 11:15 PM
How should I replace that? Only removing and relogging or?
Yeah, just remove it, or place it somewhere else.
But I just got another idea: Try the same with "~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache".

Then relogin, to be sure.

hashcode
April 20th, 2011, 11:56 PM
The result is ... weird.

- some files are correctly opened with gnome (.list, .h, .c) that I just downloaded
- some .java files are opened with gedit (that I have never tried before, like my old projects I edit with Eclipse not Gedit)
- some .java files are not opened with gedit (that I have already tried)
- some .txt files are opened with gedit (that I currently created)
- some .txt files are not opened with gedit (that I have already tried before)
and so on ...

It's like some files "knows" that they have been doomed before ... :o

Krytarik
April 21st, 2011, 02:53 AM
It may play a role that in Linux the file type is determined by its content, not by its extension, like in Windows. Please check the mimetypes of those files that aren't associated correctly.

hashcode
April 21st, 2011, 09:07 AM
It behaves too randomly to inspect. Do you think reinstalling of some applications might help?

Copper Bezel
April 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
What Krytarik is asking for is the displayed mimetype. If you click on a file in Nautilus and select Properties, it'll display the mimetype recognized, like text/plain or application/shellscript or image/gif and such. If those don't consistently match the extensions, we can get a little closer to solving the problem.

hashcode
April 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM
I get it Copper, but some files with text/plain work well and some (with same mimetype) don't :-/

Krytarik
April 21st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Do you think reinstalling of some applications might help?
I wouldn't know which. Honestly, right know I don't know what else we could do.

hashcode
April 21st, 2011, 05:04 PM
I wish I could provide more exact specification .... I'll probably do some clean reinstall to natty anyways, so this puzzle will remain unsolved I guess :(

Mfodhu
May 30th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I think i had the same problem - in my case, anything I tried to open through the unity side-bar in natty would always try to open with the same application. I managed to fix it by removing all xfce4, including the lib files (I think the problem was there). They were somehow forcing the file-assocations in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and I reset this file by copying /usr/share/applications/defaults.list over to the mimeapps.list file.

Krytarik
May 30th, 2011, 10:48 PM
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and I reset this file by copying /usr/share/applications/defaults.list over to the mimeapps.list file.
The first mentioned one only includes custom set associations, and those override the default ones. So, if you want to revert to the defaults, you can just delete the entire file.

heytracy
May 19th, 2012, 10:00 AM
The first mentioned one only includes custom set associations, and those override the default ones. So, if you want to revert to the defaults, you can just delete the entire file.

OMG!

I've been trying to fix this for a while~ so tired of having to do a work-around just to open a regular file!

Simply re-naming mimeapps.list (I used mimeappz.list) solved it!

Wow. Thanks :)