PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Loco Team in Kashmir

sikanderkhan
April 19th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Hi all, my first post on the forums. I was just thinking is there anyone from kashmir, india on the forums so we could talk about starting a Loco team in kashmir.

bye

user1397
April 19th, 2011, 12:24 PM
First: it's called: Jammu & Kashmir.

Second: That whole region is a mess. There is no clear borders to be found.

Third: What the hell do you want to do there, and how will forum posts have an impact?
1. You could clearly tell that the OP knows what he is talking about by looking at his location on his profile...J & K = Jammu & Kashmir I assume...

2. The region might be a mess in some areas, but that doesn't mean there is complete civil unrest or war (correct me if I am wrong here anyone, but I think that is the current situation there).

3. He said what he wanted to do, it's pretty clear from both the thread title and his post.

grahammechanical
April 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hi sikanderkhan

I wish you well in your aim. I, too, like the soul (as you put it) of Ubuntu. People in less prosperous parts of the world will benefit greatly from the Canonical Ubuntu project if they choose Ubuntu instead of expensive or illegal operating systems. There is also a great need for people to work together for the benefit of themselves and others. The Ubuntu Code of Conduct will not bring world peace but it can make a change to our own conduct if we choose.

Regards.

debd
April 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hi all, my first post on the forums. I was just thinking is there anyone from kashmir, india on the forums so we could talk about starting a Loco team in kashmir.

bye

Am from India too, but not from J&K, am from WB.

Well,in this times of unrest, am not sure if/how the LoCo team can be run; but educated people, I think will come forward if they come to know about it.
We dont have a LoCo team here either.
You know, I was pretty surprised to know about a very well functioning LoCo team in Nepal :) .

Wish you best of luck. Tell me if I could help you anyway.

sikanderkhan
April 23rd, 2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks everyone for the positive remarks. The problem is that about 99% people here use Windows, the remaining 1% are scattered are over the area. Most of software here are pirated and those that are not are freeware. People don't want to buy software. In this scenario the open source community can become a boon for the area. I still urge everyone if you know anyone from the area, tell them about this post.

sffvba[e0rt
April 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hi... Good luck on your quest... Use as many means as possible to try and reach people that may be interested... this forum is a good start, but you can try things like meetup.com (that is how we got the loco in the UAE started) and even facebook can help get like minded people together...

I would suggest not being to narrow-minded and only focusing on Ubuntu, be open to anyone that is interested in open source/free software :)

Regards