PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Desktop Environment

brettreardon123
April 19th, 2011, 05:22 AM
After updating my Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04, my desktop environment has disappeared. Linked is an image of what I am able to see. I can't use Alt+F2 to run programs, and anything I open from the desktop is without the usual taskbar (with minimize, maximize, and close buttons). I was wondering if there was any way to install or force start my Unity or Gnome desktop environment, as this is not much use to me at this point.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6411204/IMG_20110418_211639.jpg

Copper Bezel
April 19th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Were you using Emerald or Metacity-style decorations with Compiz previously?

Hmm. Ctrl+Alt+T is the new shortcut for opening a terminal, but it probably won't work. You don't have Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to get back to the login screen unless you've enabled it, I'm assuming you had automatic login turned on (or this wouldn't be a problem,) and there's no way to know whether Compiz is running at all. Metacity clearly isn't running as the fallback, and neither Emerald or gtk-window-decorator is running as the window decorator to provide your frames and window controls.

Here's a thing: since you have desktop icons, that means Nautilus is running. Do you have a txt file in your Templates directory? If so, you can right-click the desktop, create a .txt file, and then right-click the file and use Properties to make it executable. Then you can run any command from inside, like

compiz --replace && gtk-window-decorator && gnome-panel

which should get you back your Gnome parts, if they're working at all.

matt_symes
April 19th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Hi

EDIT: Slight typo. Copper bezel meant to type... (I type typo's all the time :D)

compiz --replace && gtk-window-decorator --replace && gnome-panel

You can also try ALT + F2 to bring up the run dialog and enter the commands posted above that way.

If the above command do not work create a new user, log out and log into that account.

Do you have the panels then ? If it does i would suggest it's your gnome settings

The command for that from ALT + F2 is

users-admin

Kind regards

Copper Bezel
April 19th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Alt+F2 doesn't work without a Gnome Panel, which is why I suggested the workaround with creating a text file (but thanks for the correction on the command!)

If he can log out at all, again, we don't have (quite as much) a problem, because he can use safe mode or whatever other DE options he might have installed. We could also, reasonably, kill x from a VT to get to the login screen, if it comes to it.

Incidentally, this might be a better method: if the terminal shortcut doesn't work, use the text file workaround to launch gnome-terminal, then do everything else from there. That way, we get error feedback to see what's broken.

matt_symes
April 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Hi

Alt+F2 doesn't work without a Gnome Panel

I did not know that. Thanks :P

Kind regards

Copper Bezel
April 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah, this is why Synapse is a good thing to have around. = ) (And I run it from a Compiz keybinding, not its own internal hotkey catcher, which is unpredictable.)

brettreardon123
April 20th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Unfortunately, the text document workaround did not work. This launched the terminal, which showed:
compiz (core) - Error: Couldn't load plugin 'ccp'
compiz (core) - Error: Couldn't load plugin 'ccp'
Window created on XQueryTree, map state isViewable? 0

the third line is repeated about 20 times, with the number one instead of zero on 3 of them. Nothing else changed in the entire visible screen, and I'm back to where I started. I tried typing "users-admin" in and nothing happened. None of the usual prefixes are in the window (the typing I do starts immediately at the left, with none of the usual username, $/#, etc). Would the best route at this point be to start fresh with a new installation of Ubuntu?

Copper Bezel
April 20th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Honestly, if the terminal is doing that, I'd start to think that that's on the table, yes, assuming that you don't keep your home partition encrypted and thus can recover your data using a LiveCD. This is looking weirder than I'd thought.

Do you get that same odd behavior (no prompt) if you switch to a virtual terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in there? (If you've never done this before, it's Ctrl+Alt+F7 or F8 to get back.)

brettreardon123
April 20th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Ok, I got to the virtual terminal, and I get a prompt. I tried running the code that you said to run from the txt, but it still did not work... any other suggestions on what I can run to make this work? I seem to be able to run commands in virtual terminal, since I can get a prompt and stuff I put in gives me an output.

Krytarik
April 20th, 2011, 04:31 AM
To reset your terminal to the defaults, and restore its funtionality, copy the content of "/etc/skel" into the toplevel of your home directory, you may backup your own files before.

brettreardon123
April 20th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Is there a way to do that in virtual terminal? That's effectively all I am able to access right now...

Krytarik
April 20th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Is there a way to do that in virtual terminal? That's effectively all I am able to access right now...
Sure, run a command like this:

cp /etc/skel/* ~