View Full Version : [ubuntu] Aspire Netbook - Not Dead, Just Resting?

April 19th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I know this is probably a hardware issue (and praying it's not mobo) and nothing to do with Ubuntu; but when my netbook flaked out on my last year (in my Windows years) I just flashed the BIOS and it worked fine.

Now I've upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 a few weeks ago...but today something went wrong with my acer aspire zg5

But this time, things are a little different; it's not blank-screen-syndrome; the fan spins up for two seconds, the battery shows fully charged (I've tried with and without the cord), but the fan/drive just quits after two seconds, waits a couple seconds, then tries again, and keeps doing this until I force it off by holding down the power key. (no clicking noise or anything)

Now I tried looking around, I found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318789 and such; but it doesn't seem to apply, the fan/drive choking off every few seconds doesn't sound like a BIOS error...does it? I'm far from knowledgable, but I'm thinking something else.

Is there any kind of magic solution/test that I'm missing?

April 19th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Remove the battery. Plug in power and try to boot. Sometimes older batteries draw too much current (because of sagging voltage) that interrupts the boot process. If it boots on the power cord alone, then you can suspect an aging battery. Not all laptops support no-battery operation.