PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just Intalled and have a question about Drivers.

Dabrenn
April 19th, 2011, 12:58 AM
So as my title states, I just installed Ubuntu to dual boot alongside my beloved Windows (I guess you could call me a Microsoft Fanboy, but I'm not close minded or anything).

To be specific, I installed Ubuntu Desktop Edition on my laptop, thankfully my wireless card worked right off the bat. My laptop is an HP with two video cards, and integrated Intel card and a low end ATI Radeon mobility card. In windows, HP installs "Catalyst Control Center" that updates and downloads the drivers, and controls the "switchable graphics" to obviously, be able to switch between the two.

Now, I really don't know a whole lot about Linux (and I haven't tried installing it, I guess I guess assumed it wouldn't). So that leaves me down to two questions.

1. Will this switchable graphics program install most likely, if not, how can I make sure the laptop gets the drivers for the ATI card and runs off of it instead of the Intel chip?

2. Will I just be able to head over the HP.com and download the drivers for things like the Track pad and install with relative ease?

Thanks for helping a Linux noob. Feel free to preach any advantages Linux has over Windows/OS X to me as I am not completely sure beyond open source, security, community, app store thing, and just liking the interface. =)

mikewhatever
April 19th, 2011, 01:48 AM
1. What 'switchable graphics program'? Is there one for Ubuntu?

2. No. HP doesn't provide Linux drivers for computers sold with Windows.

Mark Phelps
April 19th, 2011, 09:49 PM
This problem has come up before and basically, if there is no way to turn off the onboard graphics in the BIOS (and typically, there is NOT), this is not solveable.