PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Segmentation Fault on apt-get upgrade

AmateurDev
April 18th, 2011, 11:22 PM
My computer sporadically gets segmentation faults multiple times daily, but when I try to upgrade, it consistently faults on the download. I've run
sudo rm /var/cache/apt/*.binbut it still faults. I'm at a loss with this, is there something else I can do to solve the segmentation faulting?
Thanks!

Hedgehog1
April 19th, 2011, 05:48 AM
My computer sporadically gets segmentation faults multiple times daily, but when I try to upgrade, it consistently faults on the download. I've run
sudo rm /var/cache/apt/*.binbut it still faults. I'm at a loss with this, is there something else I can do to solve the segmentation faulting?
Thanks!

I hate segmentation faults... I really do...

The first thing to look at is the SMART status on you hard drive. Using the Disk Utility, view the SMART status of the drive. If you are having error on the drive, this is the most likely cause of them.

If the drive have no errors at all, then it gets much harder...

The Hedge

:KS

matt_symes
April 19th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Hi

Can you post the exact output when it faults.

Does it happen with any other software or only apt ? I am a bit unclear on that. If it happens with other software check your memory and power supply as well as hard drive and check hardware in general.

If it only happens with apt then post back the full error messages.

Kind regards

AmateurDev
October 24th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Sorry, for some reason I didn't get an email notification, so I'm not reading this until now. Unfortunately, I never solved the problem; the computer was transferred to a new case and installed with Windows 7(not my decision). I suspect that it was a hardware issue because it was plagued with seg faults all over the place, so this information might come in handy if it starts acting up again. Thank you for your responses!