PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on Windows Media Center PC?

tallicdeth
April 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I have a ViewSonic Windows Media PC.

Would it be possible to get Ubuntu on it and get all of the information I need for the drivers that I'll have to somehow install to make it work on Ubuntu?

I was going to work on an ancient POS but I can't get it to boot from USB and I have no CD-ROM for it.

Dutch70
April 18th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I can't answer your question about the media center pc, but did you try to use plop to boot to a usb with the older computer?
boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/)

Edit after seeing your post below.
I didn't realize you had to have a cd drive, I just know others on here have used it.

tallicdeth
April 19th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Damn, that'd be awesome if I had a CD drive. Although I'd just burn a disc if I had a CD drive on the old computer...murrr.

Hedgehog1
April 19th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Can you scrounge a CD drive from a friend/neighbor (IT department at work?) Most nerds have a few extra collecting dust in the closet... Looking for a good home...

The Hedge

:KS

tallicdeth
April 19th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I've scrounged through my father-in-law's stash for a mini-CD-Rom...no luck. I'm thinking I might abandon the iPaq and go for broke with the Windows Media PC...I'll have to get some stats on it first. SiSandra...

Mark Phelps
April 19th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Stats won't help much other than indicating that it's so underpowered that it won't install or run Ubuntu.

The only real way to know how well it will work, complete with hardware detection and device driver installation, is to run from a LiveCD (or boot from it in USB mode).

Anything else is basically a guess.