PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to re-install Grub2 after new Win7 install to new disc.

atari05
April 18th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Hey community,

I have been running ONLY linux (ubuntu) on my computer for years now. However, a friend sucked me back into the world of MMO's (angry fist @ RIFT). So, I decided to pick up a new disc, slap windows 7 on it and now want to dual boot.

Basically I had to do some disc juggling to get windows to play nice. So my windows drive is now first, then my Ubuntu drive second.

Its been a while so I'm wondering how involved / what would be the steps to get grub2 to chainload into windows7 (in my head I want to say I'm going to boot into the live cd, mount the windows disc and reinstall the loader to the windows drive since its the first disc in the chain?)

wilee-nilee
April 18th, 2011, 10:37 PM
So from a booted live Ubuntu cd or thumbdrive lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the (#) in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.

This will give a what is where, and will be helpful.

Can you confirm if you have more then 1 hard drive that you can independently boot each one individually. In other words the second hd is not a unbootable slave.