PDA

View Full Version : I need some traveling advice (payPal Greyhound)

giddyup306
April 18th, 2011, 09:49 PM
On the 23rd of this month I will be going to Indio, California to see the Big 4 (\m/ \m/). I was planning on just driving from Omaha, but the fuel prices jumped up drastically. I was thinking about taking a Greyhound bus, but after doing some searching, it sounds like they have a really bad rep. What other alternatives do I have? I won't fly (the last time I flew I had a panic attack). Is there another company that I could go with? There is a company named Arrow but it looks like that is a group thing.

Okay now here's another part of my dilemma. To pay for the trip I have about a dozen auctions on eBay. As of right now I have roughly $1,200 in purgatory, and I'm worried about possibly not being able to get a ticket in time, or having the funds transfered to my bank account in time. Does anyone know if there is any company out there that will accept paypal as payment?

So just looking for some pointers from someone that has been there, and done that. :P

CharlesA
April 18th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I don't know of any travel company that takes paypal. Most of the ones I've seen take debit/credit.

3Miro
April 18th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I don't think a company would accept PayPal. A person might, someone may pay for your ticket and you can give them money via PayPal.

Greyhound is mostly dirty, uncomfortable and unpleasant, but they will get you where you want to go and do it for less. I took a trip once form West Virginia to Arkansas, it was bad, but it was the only way for me to get there.

walt.smith1960
April 18th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Any chance you could do most or all of your trip via Amtrak? I'd take train travel over bus travel any day. As for how to pay for it, I have no suggestion. Times like this is when it's handy to have a credit card, just forget you have it except when you REALLY need it-like now.

NCLI
April 19th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Any chance you could do most or all of your trip via Amtrak? I'd take train travel over bus travel any day. As for how to pay for it, I have no suggestion. Times like this is when it's handy to have a credit card, just forget you have it except when you REALLY need it-like now.
Just get a debit card instead, way safer.

Cheesehead
April 19th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Your only ground common carrier options are Greyhound, Trailways, and Amtrak. I've traveled lots on each.

None take PayPal. So if your criteria really are 1) Bus/Train between NE and CA and 2) Take PayPal...then further discussion is moot. You're going to wind up driving. Nobody in 1) does 2).

That's it for your choices. There are no other ground carriers that connect Nebraska and California. Some people will recommend regional carriers like Megabus, but those don't connect the destinations you specified. They operate regional short-haul networks in the dense east and west - but those dinky networks don't connect across the plains and rockies.

Some trips by bus/train are great, some trips not (but then so is flying or driving, too). It evens out, and it mostly depends on your attitude. Buses are safe. Some people who have lived a sheltered life sometimes feel threatened. Just read your book and let the miles pass.

Many Greyhound buses have plug-at-seat...and many don't. You won't find out beforehand, so treat it as a bonus. Laptop use is uncomfortable, just like on a plane - you don't have elbow room to type, nor screen room in front, nor privacy from the person next to you reading your work. Most riders just bring music players and books.

giddyup306
April 19th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Greyhound is mostly dirty, uncomfortable and unpleasant, but they will get you where you want to go and do it for less. I took a trip once form West Virginia to Arkansas, it was bad, but it was the only way for me to get there.

That's what I'm scared of... Do I dare bring my laptop? I could actually drive myself down there faster, but rather than $375 for the ticket, it will cost at least $450 for fuel.

I'll get some prices tomorrow, I think I'd like this route better. They have a location here and in Indio.

oldsoundguy
April 19th, 2011, 03:48 AM
another vote for Amtrack. If there are no screaming kids in your car, the seating is comfortable enough to sleep. Food is good and not an arm and a leg, but not cheap. Club car has current movies. And pleasant conversation can be had.

walt.smith1960
April 19th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Just get a debit card instead, way safer.

True, but it's worthwhile to have a good credit history. I'm assuming the OP is young. If in a few years he wants to get a mortgage, having a good credit rating can save $$$, or even make it possible to qualify in the first place. Lending standards are higher than they were 5 years ago. To qualify for a mortgage or other large loan in mid 2000s, the main qualifier seemed to be the ability to exhale warm air. If you were breathing you were good. No longer.

Johnsie
April 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Try http://megabus.com for some bus routes.

Also, there are prepay debit cards you can get to help you pay for things online.

sydbat
April 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I've never had a problem getting money transferred from PayPal to my bank, nor have I had to wait more than a couple of hours for the transfer. That should answer your PayPal question.

As for driving vs bus/ train - The stress you are creating for yourself is not worth it. If the cost difference is only ~$75, then drive. You can take your time, go on routes that will be more interesting, not have to travel with unknown entities, etc, etc.

RiceMonster
April 19th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I didn't know Greyhound offered bus services from Mordor to California.

forrestcupp
April 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I know it's too late for this trip, but for future use, maybe you should get a PayPal debit card directly linked to your PayPal account.

If the cost difference is only ~$75, then drive. You can take your time, go on routes that will be more interesting, not have to travel with unknown entities, etc, etc.
Also, you'll have your own vehicle to drive around in when you get there. I agree that $75 is not enough of a savings.

But on the other hand, if you drive, you may have to pay parking fees. And most of all, you'll have to do all of the driving instead of kicking back and relaxing.

giddyup306
April 20th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I've never had a problem getting money transferred from PayPal to my bank, nor have I had to wait more than a couple of hours for the transfer. That should answer your PayPal question.

I live in the US.

It usually takes 3 to 4 business days to transfer money from a U.S. bank account to your PayPal account.

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=n8hFN3LQb64hd1fPzk6WBLKkym2G4C Tzh1h56CKmFWvsgJyGp4LC!1740106518?t=solutionTab&ft=homeTab&ps=&solutionId=11393&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&countrycode=US&cmd=_help&serverInstance=9018

It usually takes two days for these people to pay, then takes another couple days to get into my account. By the time I get my money it's almost a week... Last night I went to transfer some money from my paypal to my bank. It's almost 24 hours later, and it's still "pending".

giddyup306
April 20th, 2011, 12:44 AM

Yeah, but they do have to make one stop in Vahalla.

giddyup306
April 20th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I know it's too late for this trip, but for future use, maybe you should get a PayPal debit card directly linked to your PayPal account.

Also, you'll have your own vehicle to drive around in when you get there. I agree that $75 is not enough of a savings.

But on the other hand, if you drive, you may have to pay parking fees. And most of all, you'll have to do all of the driving instead of kicking back and relaxing.

I applied for the paypal debit card. I don't think they'll give me one, that and it will take 4-6 weeks to get.

It is too late at this point I think. I'll probably end up driving. I honestly don't mind driving. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in my life (it's not my profession, but I own a Commercial Drivers License, and I have done some OTR stuff in the past).

Some more cons is that I will have to spend more money on hotels. This year alone I have driven twice from Omaha to LA. I can do it in two days... and if I have to I can sleep in a truck stop or rest area... I'm thinking about pricing some plane tickets (been several years since I've done that). I tried some of the discount sites, and for some reason it doesn't recognize Indio as having an air port.

But, hey, at least there is free parking at the venue should I decide to drive. It's a toss up at this point. I don't like sitting in a terminal for hours only to find out that my plane has been delayed...

giddyup306
April 20th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Also, there are prepay debit cards you can get to help you pay for things online.

I think people are misunderstanding me. I have a debit card, but earlier this after noon I had $0.33 in my account. I have just under $1,300 in digital paypal purgatory.

forrestcupp
April 20th, 2011, 01:48 AM

I finally realized why you said that. :)

oldsoundguy
April 20th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Indio does not have an airport .. nearest is a puddle jumper strip at Barstow. You will not get a direct fly in. You will fly into Ontario or LA and get a commuter airline to get to Barstow.

Kind of like flying into Denver and getting a lift into Aspen. (now there is a landing that will mess up your shorts if you aren't prepared for it!! LOL)