PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 72hr Installation woes... :(

kskwerl
April 18th, 2011, 07:31 PM
So first I had to figure out how to install ubuntu 10.10 onto a RAID 0 array of 4 SSDs.

I followed this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x2rZe2Z9as&feature=related

I installed 10.10 and everything was working good. I have 3 monitors and the 2 5870's in Crossfire so I got the primary desktop in the middle and extended desktops on the sides. Cool. Now I was looking for a way to use different wallpaper on different screen in GNOME..impossible pretty much was what my research said. LAME!

So I installed KDE 4.5 and switched over to KDE.

I logged into KDE and the monitor on left was set as the main display. So I was messing around for a while trying to get the middle screen as my main display.

-Tried ATI control center
-Tried xrandr --output DFP1 --primary

No Dice, I looked everywhere.
I ended up unplugging my main monitor which I do all the time and it's no big deal. So I unplugged it. FYI it uses DisplayPort. So I plugged it back in and it didn't work. So now I'm all frustrated and I'm turning on and off the computer, reconnecting the middle monitor with DVI cables to see if I can get it to work. Nothing!

Ok so now I reinstall Ubuntu just like the video above, but when I delete the partitions do I also have to delete the data on all four SSDs? I reinstalled and got up and running with only 2 monitors but now this time in Gnome I can't extend the desktop displays!! For now I would be happy with just 2 monitors if I could at least extend the desktop.

Here's a copypasta of my gear from another forum.
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: G.SKILL Flare 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2000
Video Card: x2 SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 5870 in Crossfire
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series 1000W
RAID:x4 60GB OCZ Agility 2's in RAID

if anyone has any clue what so ever I should do it's greatly appreciated.

kskwerl
April 19th, 2011, 12:42 AM
bump