PDA

View Full Version : Using Scilab, Have a look please!!!

leeyee
May 10th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Hi guys,
Do you use Scilab? I'm a student from an Engineering College, and study Information Engineering. It's neccessary for me to use these computing software to do some signal process or just plot some simple curve. I post here just want to meet some friends who are also learning these courses or just using Scilab as one of your tools.:p That's odd I can't find a forum of SCILAB although i did a GOOGLE for it, Ugh!
Thank you guys!:-? And sorry for my poor English:KS

hesee
May 10th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I've been using Matlab in my studies(telecomms/cellular/dsp). I tried to start using Scilab, but the commands were different/missing so I decided to stay Matlab/windows till i graduate. But Scilab looks very similar, and can probably do most of the same things. Surprising, that there is not Scilab forum (or can anyone correct this?).

Kannisto
May 10th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I've been using Matlab in my studies(telecomms/cellular/dsp). I tried to start using Scilab, but the commands were different/missing so I decided to stay Matlab/windows till i graduate. But Scilab looks very similar, and can probably do most of the same things. Surprising, that there is not Scilab forum (or can anyone correct this?).
Octave is great too try it out. Scilab just seems a bit unfinished (tamili fonts etc.)
Have you asked how much would it cost to change your win license to Unix license?

hesee
May 10th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Octave is great too try it out. Scilab just seems a bit unfinished (tamili fonts etc.)
Have you asked how much would it cost to change your win license to Unix license?
Actually, I was using Matlab in school lab. That's why i wanted an alternative, to be able to do some studies at home. Thanks for the Octave tip, have to try that one out.

hizaguchi
May 11th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Never used Scilab, but I'll 2nd the Octave reccomendation. It may be missing some kind of advanced feature that I have no use for, but for my undergrad mechanical engineering it's more than enough. I like it better than Matlab really. Especially combined with Kate, since the syntax highlighting is better than Matlab's editor and there's a built-in terminal to run your code right there in the same window.

leeyee
May 11th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Aha....Thanks for you guys recommended Octave! However, I had used Octave for several times before, it seems that it has no graphic commands, or it has no GUI?

leeyee
May 11th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Hi guys,
I encountered a compute problem with scilab, which is to plot the curve of the following function y:

Y=(2/(pi^2*BT))*(Si(pi*BT))^2
where BT is a variable matrix defined in a interval (0,1) and Si(u) is the sine integral function which is defined as the integral of the sin(x)/x from 0 to u.
This is a problem I need to do comes from the <<Communication System>>, anyone can help me with a scilab programming to plot the curve? I had did the forllowing program, but it seems not work.:-? It plotted an apparent wrong curve.

clear
xbasc()
BT=0.000001:0.01:1;

//To define the si function
ss=zeros(BT);
deff('[y]=f(x)','y=sin(x)/x');
function SI=si(u)
for i=1:1:length(BT)
uu=u(i);
ss(i)=intg(0,uu,f);
end
SI=ss;
endfunction

y=(2/(%pi^2*BT)).*((si(%pi*BT))^2);
plot2d(BT,y)
xtitle("Get maximum value","BT","y")
xgrid()

Thank you very much!

hizaguchi
May 12th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Aha....Thanks for you guys recommended Octave! However, I had used Octave for several times before, it seems that it has no graphic commands, or it has no GUI?
Do you mean for plotting functions? If so, you just need to get gnuplot.

Or if you're talking about a user interface, there is Koctave (need Dapper for that), but I like Kate better myself because it keeps everything in one window.

leeyee
May 12th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Okay, I think I should be stick to SCILAB. Now what I'm wondering is somebody plot the function I yesterday post for me. Thanks you guys!
Here is the right curve which i saw from the "Standard Answers"

leeyee
May 15th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Nobody could help me? 55555..................

u04f061
June 1st, 2006, 02:52 AM
[QUOTE=leeyee]Hi guys,
I encountered a compute problem with scilab, which is to plot the curve of the following function y:

Y=(2/(pi^2*BT))*(Si(pi*BT))^2
where BT is a variable matrix defined in a interval (0,1) and Si(u) is the sine integral function which is defined as the integral of the sin(x)/x from 0 to u.
This is a problem I need to do comes from the <<Communication System>>, anyone can help me with a scilab programming to plot the curve? I had did the forllowing program, but it seems not work.:-? It plotted an apparent wrong curve.

which font u use in scilab?
can u tell me how to set english font which is readable?i can't read even my own written code in scilab.that is why i am not using it and trying to find the ways to install matlb.
plz reply me positively
thnx