PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] No matter what, can't get .JSP files to function with FF or Opera

WinRiddance
April 18th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. As part of the bad economy during the past few years, my wife with 28 years of computer experience has been looking for better work online. This has been an ongoing process for the past couple of years during which she's been using her personal Ubuntu based machine which has been updated with 3 different Ubuntu versions, two different FF versions, two different Opera versions, and most recently the FF 4.0 beta release. On all of these Ubuntu/Browser versions she's experienced the same problem which as been incredibly frustrating to her ... the lack of being able to use .JSP files correctly in a browser. For some strange reason this .jsp related problem seems to be strictly limited to certain job search sites ???

Here's what happens. In order to use some of those sites, especially ones that are county/state specific (or so it appears anyway), a person has to be a member with a bonafide account that can be logged into ... to make use of the internal features of the site which are not accessible to the general public. These sites take a member through several preliminary steps, all of which work fine. Eventually the member ends up on a "final page" from where a selection menu of job/resume options appears. One or more of these options can then be selected via a checkbox, before clicking on the next or proceed button ... which is supposed to go to a browser based .jsp file where an online employment application can then be processed.

Before you click the submit or next, you can clearly see the name of the file and the fact that it ends with .jsp

Anyway, that's where the trouble begins ... the .jsp destination browser window turns blank and stays that way. This has been happening with all browsers and all Ubuntu versions that my wife has tried. She's waited upward of 15 minutes with no change. If my wife switches to a computer with Windows/Internet Explorer 7 or 8 the job search site and everything within it works just fine, to include those .jsp file functions.

Yes, she's installed the "default user agent" tool for FF but even that only works about 35% of the time, and only by closing the blank .jsp browser window that's supposed to be working already, followed by opening FF with the same session. Doing that provides "coincidental" results about 35% of the time. Opera never works, neither does Epiphany nor Google Chrome or Chromium. Tried all of those on my own machine with the same results as my wife.

We have Googled and Yahooed and Bing'd the internet endlessly without being able to find a solution. What's really weird is that we can't even find anyone else who's reported this identical problem of not being able to view .jsp files from job search sites correctly in a FF browser window. Any thoughts or ideas about this? I don't know anything about the inner workings of Java but I can't believe that there isn't a solution for this kind of thing? Sorry about the long post ....

WinRiddance
April 20th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Today it happened again. My wife was at another job search site ... http://www.renaladvantage.com/ ... and after joining up, entering all of the information, reviewing jobs, and so on, she eventually received the prompt: Click here to apply Online.

As soon as she clicked that link, same thing as before, a new blank FF browser page opened up and nothing else happened. The page remained blank without any content. She tried this several times, both with the user agent in IE8 as well as in IE7 mode enabled. Aside from that she has no other issues with FF. Flash games, youtube videos, music files, everything works fine.

WinRiddance
April 23rd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Wow, so nobody else is using Ubuntu without Windows/IE7 and nobody else is unemployed, looking for jobs via browser enabled localized employment site? Supposedly around 40 million Ubuntu users and we're the first ones to point out this issue?

WinRiddance
April 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Bumpity bump ... c'mon now, someone's had to run into this problem before ...

Frogs Hair
April 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I have had the same problem and it is one of the reasons I dual boot . It is not a Firefox problem it is up to the web master at those sites to decide what browsers they can or will provide service to .

The developer of the UAS Firefox add on explains why the add-on doesn't work for many sites on the download page or a link on that page .

The most a person can do is send a complaint to the site web master and hope a lot of other potential clients / users do the same.