PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu?

Zdravko
May 10th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I would be happy to hear what do you think about the following questions:

1. What makes Ubuntu such a unique Linux distribution, that is beloved and worshipped by so many people around the world?
2. Why actually did you choose Ubuntu? What advantages has Ubuntu, compared to other operating systems? Is it in the simplicity, the visual art or just the existing useful applications?
3. And the most important question - what motivates you to continue to work with Ubuntu?
4. Is there a chance that you will stop using it someday, or is the connection between humans and Ubuntu "eternal"?
5. What is the most beautiful thing in Ubuntu, in your opinion?

Ubuntuud
May 10th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I only tried very few distro's (Gentoo, Suse). Both of those installations failed, Gentoo is very hard and Suse did not recognise my wireless thing. Ubuntu installed fine...

It has great community support, it doesn't matter if you ask a question for the 200th time, it wont be moved.

I also like the package manager.

If I would ever change, it will be Debian. (Well, I have a long life ahead of me, so I can't say this completely sure).

megahertza
May 10th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Well i'm better then average noob at linux and i decided to go with ubuntu because of its large support base, this forum included in that, all the guildes and wiki where all easy. There was just 1 install cd so it didn't take long to get on the pc.

I completely use ubuntu now over windows, i use it for everything i did in windows and more, music, videos, internet, web development and it goes on.

I really see ubuntu going places and other Os not catching up. I would be willing to try others but not likly to swich over now.

angkor
May 10th, 2006, 08:20 AM

1. What makes Ubuntu such a unique Linux distribution, that is beloved and worshipped by so many people around the world?
2. Why actually did you choose Ubuntu? What advantages has Ubuntu, compared to other operating systems? Is it in the simplicity, the visual art or just the existing useful applications?
3. And the most important question - what motivates you to continue to work with Ubuntu?
4. Is there a chance that you will stop using it someday, or is the connection between humans and Ubuntu "eternal"?

1. The community.
2. It's an hassle-free Debian system. What more could you possibly want. :)
3. It 'Just Works' for me.
4. It's not eternal for me...then again nothing is eternal.
5. The community.

ajgreeny
May 10th, 2006, 08:24 AM
It's definitely the support available in the form of forum, wiki, and all the information available to all. I started with a look at several of the standard rpm distro's and then a friend said he was going to look at Ubuntu as he had heard great things. I got the ubuntu.iso from a UK comp magazine, and haven't looked back since; I love it! I may not be very good at it yet but this forum is the best help anyone could ask for. Try getting answers to windows queries as fast and you'll see what I mean.

eentonig
May 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM
=> Ease of installation. Free distribution (I like to have a CD at hand. Prefferably an original from the creator)
It 'just' works. :mrgreen: Actually, better phrased would be, I manage to get things working, usually within two days for even the most complex tasks (two displays).
- I can finally use Linux for almost everything. It's more flexible, faster, cleaner, tuneable than .... . And it adds up to my 'Coolness' with the girls ](*,)
nothing is eternal. But as long as it keeps performing as it does right now, I don't see a reason why I should change. But than again. That's exactly what I said when I started using Microsoft.:-k

It's basically a computer program with some logic in it, contrary to my wife.

ubuntu_demon
May 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM

It's based on debian (stable,good packagemanagement), it has fast and predictable releases and it's more user friendly on the desktop.

When I tried Ubuntu warty I had some experience with linux/unix. I liked debian. In debian IMHO it was just too much too work to get everything right for the desktop user. Ubuntu looked good, it made a sane choice of default installed software and the menu wasn't such a mess as with debian. Ubuntu is simple,there is lots of new useful software available and it looks good.

it's open source, it's highly configurable when needed, it just works, it's stable, it looks good, it's secure

For the coming years I'll definetely will keep using Ubuntu.

I might someday buy a mac to dual boot with Ubuntu and OS X / XI / XII. Why a mac ? Because then I can boot into the mac OS to play games. I can probably hold off on buying a new desktop computer for a couple of years (I have a P4 2.8c). I might have to switch to xubuntu when gnome gets to heavy for my machine :p. So I don't plan on buying a new desktop I want to buy a laptop first (hopefully next year).

I can't choose between the following points :

Ubuntu is free : open source and gratis
Ubuntu is usable on the desktop (easy,good packagemanagement,recent software)
Ubuntu is stable & secure
ubuntu has a great community

edit : mrazster you are right. IMHO this is the the most beautiful thing in Ubuntu (from http://www.ubuntu.com/) :

The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Philosophy: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.

mrazster
May 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Well I'm considering my self a n00b....yet I have tried a couple of distros on and off over the last couple of years. I'll try to answer your questions with the best of my knowledge.

1. It's based on Debian..wich as far as I know one of the "better" distros out ther...very stable and reliable.

2. Since I upgrade my hardware pretty often...I like to keep my rigg as up to date as my paycheck alows me to :D ...I've always run into some problems with hardware and drivers with the other distros...but when I tried Ubuntu...everything "Just worked out of the box

3. User friendlyness, stability and then wonderful Ubuntu community giving you all the help you need.

4. Well...atm I don't plan on leaving it....I've left winblows behind me. I got everything working the way I want it...with the exception of gaming...but I can live with that. There's enough games to let me get my JAJAS out..every no and then.

5. The fundamentality, the whole idea that Ubuntu is built on...wich in the end is based on the wonderful community.

blueturtl
May 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM
1. Propably has to do with how the Ubuntu team has their standards set high. They have a clear vision of what Ubuntu should be: more than just a kernel packed onto a disc with utilities. Ubuntu is meant to be an OS that works for people, that acts as a tool. It has both the strength in ideals (software should be free for everyone) and the strength in quality. The human-centered ideology has also attracted a rather friendly community that helps others.

2. For me it was the combination. It's solid, it's aesthetic, and it's simple. It just works for the most part and it lets me work.

3. I believe in the ideals that drive Ubuntu.

4. In the foreseeable future I cannot see myself giving Ubuntu up.

5. The ideals and human-centered design. If we look at it from a practical viewpoint I would have to say how it's so user friendly and yet so powerfull at the same time.

B0rsuk
May 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I like it because Ubuntu means I can't configure Debian in one of african languages. I like debian a lot (especially apt-get), but it can be tough configuring sometimes.
I like it because it enables me to work on more interesting/higher level problems like programming, browse www, internet works right away, sound, and OpenGL (for most part).
I like it because it's not as commercial/greedy like Mandriva is. I like the philosophy.
I like it because it's only 1 CD + apt-get if you need more stuff. apt-get is wonderful if you have decent internet access. People complain how hard stuff is to install/configure in Linux, but after using Kubuntu for a week or so I removed my windows partition. (I already used linux for several years before, so it wasn't hard). I can't stand windows 'easy' installation anymore. By the way, after some time of using linux ONLY, I feel crippled without shell (windows workstations at work etc).
I like it, because it's completely free, and shows free != crap.

I may stop using Kubuntu one day if it uses too many automatic scripts/system is no longer transparent/becomes too much reliant on GUI tools. In short, I'll abandon Kubuntu as soon as it starts putting shackles on my hands. I agree with what Linus said about Gnome, that making things too easy produces idiots.
I like being able to tweak stuff and write scripts myself.

Buffalo Soldier
May 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM

1. What makes Ubuntu such a unique Linux distribution, that is beloved and worshipped by so many people around the world?Ubuntu has the right balance of GUI and CLI.

2. Why actually did you choose Ubuntu? What advantages has Ubuntu, compared to other operating systems? Is it in the simplicity, the visual art or just the existing useful applications? Ubuntu's philosophy (http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/philosophy)
GNOME
Human theme (brown and now orange)
Sudo
Works perfectly with my hardware (1 Pentium 3 desktop, 1 AMD desktop and 1 DELL Inspiron 510m laptop)
Documentation
This marvelous forum
Other Ubuntu users (they are always gonna be some rotten apple somewhere but I think 99% of Ubuntu users are super-friendly)

3. And the most important question - what motivates you to continue to work with Ubuntu?With every update Ubuntu has manage to surprise me. Never have I thought using AND learning an OS could be so much fun.

There have been some hickups along the way and I'm sure in the future there will be some bumps on the road too. But it's all very minimal and a very small price to pay for a heavenly computing experience.

4. Is there a chance that you will stop using it someday, or is the connection between humans and Ubuntu "eternal"?I can't predict/see the future. But as long as Ubuntu's philosophy (http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/philosophy) remains the same, I will continue to use it.

5. What is the most beautiful thing in Ubuntu, in your opinion? The people. Mark Shuttleworth, the developers, the volunters and everyone.

When I first started using Ubuntu I would change the wallpaper and theme to something more "blue". But since middle of last year, I began to fall in love with the default Human theme. Now I can't stand the sight of a blueish wallpaper. I'm proud to be brown :)

AndyCooll
May 10th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I would consider myself to be a noob too. Been using Linux for less than a year (and never before that). I'm a competent user without being a command line expert since I never used DOS.

1. Uniqueness? As someone posted on here, an excellent balance between the command line and the gui

2. Why Ubuntu?I chose it because of its simplicity. For me most things just worked! And even with difficult issues I rarely find Ubuntu to be awkward to problem solve with. It might take me awhile to figure a problem out, however when I configure something I find that Ubuntu behaves how I expect it too, rarely I'm I left scratching my head not knowing what to do next because what I've tried hasn't worked. This might of course be due to familiarity, however other distros usually seem more complicated to work with

3. My motivation? When I tried Linux I was simply seeking software that was free I didn't want to use pirated software anymore. Through oOo.org and FF, and then Linux I met the open-source philosophy and it bit! It has motivated me in a positive manner and given me a strong cause to get behind! I have nothing against M$ per se, it's simply that I've found something better! And with Ubuntu I find that I can fulfil my new found freedoms, with an easy to use distro.

4. Use? I cannot say I won't change. I won't be moving back to M$ for sure, however as LInux develops who knows if another distro will come along that might be even better. However, as long as Ubuntu continues in the direction it is going with the balance it has then I'll probably continue to use it.

5. Most beautiful? The community without a doubt! Wouldn't have been able to get this far without it.

:cool:

Zdravko
May 10th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I have to admit, that I am even bigger newbie here :)

Ubuntu has the right balance of GUI and CLI.

What is CLI?
In my opinion there is something charming in Ubuntu. Once I installed and tested it, I had to switch back to Windows to continue my work. Under Windows I felt sad, everything looked so boring and familiar, the same plastic bluish design! I missed Ubuntu. When I started Ubuntu again, I felt finally at home - a feeling of freedom :)

aysiu
May 10th, 2006, 04:51 PM
What is CLI? Command-line interface. As opposed to graphical user interface.

Rhapsody
May 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM
The community is probably the biggest part of this. It's both large and helpful.

I chose Ubuntu because of several factors.

The price (free).
The strong community.
A good committment to the open source philosophy (something I've been moving towards myself in the last few years).
The fact that it detected nearly all of my hardware perfectly (and I got the rest working with little trouble).
It's been hard enough to get working that I feel I will learn something from this experience.

Mainly the fact that I've been trying to make a move towards open source applications. I could switch to another Linux distro without backing down on that, but they're unlikely to be much easier in the long run. Giving up would really mean going back to Windows, and I really don't want to do that now.

I might move to another distro in the future, but I'll probably be using Ubuntu for a long time yet.

It has to be the community again. I probably wouldn't still be here if not for it.

Omnios
May 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Number one reason for a user new to Linux, This community and this forum. If you want to learn hwo to use Linux this forum and community are number one on that respect. Also there are many more readons but I will be writing for hours.

Dragonbite
May 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM

I've been fooling around with Linux for a number of years, Red Hat 8, Red Hat 9, Gentoo and Ubuntu. I would not consider myself experienced, though, but I'm not afraid of the command line when I need to (Gentoo really helps with that ;)

Don't know about "worship", but it has a number of features that work "good" and not just one or two "awesome" features. I've seen distro Zealots and they scare me :shock: .. Ubuntu doesn't.

I picked Ubuntu for 2 reasons:
Hardware recognition : My old system was able to get the wheel mouse, winmodem and sound working... but not all at the same time! I wanted a distro that was going to be fairly easy to set up and maintain.
Free Shipping : I have dial-up at home and my new job watches internet activity and downloads. Being able to have the up-to-date distro sent to me free made it a lot easier to "try it out" before committing to anything.

It's in, it's up and it's running!
I wanted a distro that is easy to set up and maintain because I've spent WAY too much time trying to get everything to work, and configuring the system in Gentoo.

That's the power of Linux ... CHOICE! You like it, you use it.. you don't then you change! While I have Ubuntu working on my family system, I am lining things up to put CentOS on the older system and try setting it up as a server in the basement.

Ease of use.
I've managed to do just about everything without going into the CLI (command line interface). It's not that I won't, but it's nice to not have to. Synaptic makes managing things very easy. The package managment is one reason why I liked Gentoo over Red Hat (9) and Synaptic makes things even easier!

The documentation, forums and support is another great piece of Ubuntu. That was one of my considerations when I was looking at which distro to install.

Buffalo Soldier
May 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM
What Is It About Ubuntu? (http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=492)

Stormy Eyes
May 10th, 2006, 06:47 PM

The promo materials had naked chicks.