PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 Installation failed

Wombol
April 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Got given an old computer to mess around with, and thought I'd install linux on it to have a proper go with it. Used Ubuntu 10.10 desktop, downloaded from the website, and mounted on a cd.

The computer had windows xp on it, but I wanted to wipe everything and just have it boot into linux, so chose this option when prompted (basically create a partition containing the whole drive).

However when I was installing, my mouse didn't work, so I using just the keyboard. As it got to the end of the 'copying files' section some sort of command line came up on the install, and I didn't know what to do (I don't think it was supposed to come up?). Nothing I pressed did anything, so after an hour of looking around the internet to find a solution, I gave up and turned the computer off.

Now when it boots up I get the message:
"Installation failed
The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again".

How do I go about reinstalling the OS? I'm quite happy just to get rid of everything again and reinstall from scratch, but I cannot find out how..

Thank you.

zvacet
April 18th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Reinstsll it a same way you installed it first time.Select whole drive and current install will be wiped of.

Wombol
April 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Reinstsll it a same way you installed it first time.Select whole drive and current install will be wiped of.

When I installed the first time I did it straight from the CD boot. Now when I boot, even with the CD in, it just goes to the linux desktop. I hope that makes sense..?

Quackers
April 18th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Is there no icon on the desktop to "install system" or an entry in the menus?
I would also check the downloaded .iso file (see below) and if that's ok, check the cd for errors.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

zvacet
April 18th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Now when I boot, even with the CD in, it just goes to the linux desktop. I hope that makes sense..?

Sorry,no.If you select CD as first boot option in BIOS then you should be able to boot and install Ubuntu as you did it for first time.