PDA

View Full Version : CrashPlan for Linux, Windows, Mac, and Solaris

sandyd
April 18th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I was typing up (editing really) some of my work on Evernote, when I noticed something called CrashPlan (by the same company?).

Its apparently an app that can synchronize and create backups from one computer to another.

Might be good for newbies who haven't learned how to backup, or looking for an easy way to backup their stuff.

The only major pothole ive noticed is that theirs no online storage for the free plan, theirs only computer -> computer transfer.

The site is here -> http://www.crashplan.com/consumer/crashplan.html

Has anyone tried it? (No, I havent. yet)

pi3.1415926535...
April 18th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Sounds interesting. The major reason for the lack of on-line storage fro the free plan is that hosting data is the most costly thing for the company to do, other than writing the code, in that process.

Dragonbite
April 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM
CrashPlan has some nice advantages to some of the other companies out there.
Works with Linux (Mozy, Carbonite and others don't have Linux clients) Allows backing up to multiple other computers, so can have a desktop back up to a server AND a laptop, so there is redundancy plus if the house burns down there's a chance you have your laptop with you with all of the backups.
Offers, for a price, to save it online but that is not a requirement for using the client software to back up between computers.
and others don't).
Works with a headless Linux server.
Allows you to use it to backup in-between computers (like your desktop to your headless server).

I am very close to signing up for an online backup location, just gotta wait for the right timing with the bills ;)

Johnsie
April 18th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Works on FreeBSD. I might have to check that out.