PDA

View Full Version : Great Experience

Balthazar_Droid
April 18th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I recently purchased a new computer and after a lot of research decided to buy from http://www.system76.com/. If you haven't heard of them they are a company based out of Colorado that sell computers preinstalled with Ubuntu. I settled on their Widebeest line and upgraded to an Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 1 GB nVidia GeForce GT430 graphics card and a 2TB HDD. I have been very satisfied with my purchase and would recommend them to anyone.

I figured if I had bought from Dell or Gateway I would end up dumping the preinstalled version of Windows, and I don't have the time to try to piece together my own system form Newegg, so this worked out pretty well for me. The price was good, ordering was easy and I had it delivered to my door in about 10 days. I haven't had one issue since I bought it. All of the hardware worked out of the box and it has really been great.

If you are in the market for a new computer I recommend checking them out. I plan on making all of my future purchases from them, and I hope they stay in business for a while. It is nice to see a company that has dedicated itself to supporting Linux.

BTW, for the skeptical among you, I assure you I am not a company schill, just someone who had a great experience. It is nice to put out some good vibes once in a while instead of just bitching about poor customer service or support. Seriously, don't get me started about XM radio :)

Blasphemist
April 18th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I've thought before of visiting this company here in Colorado but never have. This may spur me to do that sometime. I'd like to see how they are doing and cheer them on. I would like to see more options on the lower end as that's what I always seem to need but I'm sure they know their market.

K_45
April 18th, 2011, 04:32 AM
I'd never buy a PC from anyone. Save some money and do it yourself. Dead simple, easy to upgrade, as I did when one of my mobo's decided to go on holiday. Just drink the Wild Turkey after the build.:D

wolfen69
April 18th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I'd never buy a PC from anyone. Save some money and do it yourself. Dead simple, easy to upgrade, as I did when one of my mobo's decided to go on holiday. Just drink the Wild Turkey after the build.:D

I agree, but not everyone has the computer skills nor patience to go that route. So it's good that companies like System76 are around. And no matter who you are, you are most likely to buy a laptop pre-made, so not much choice there.

But I do love ordering all my stuff from newegg, laying out all the parts, having a smoke, and getting down and dirty. I love the rush when I turn on the machine for the first time. IT'S ALIVE!!!!

ulfj
April 18th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I have to agree with Balthazar_Droid on this, I ordered one for a client of mine and customer service was great and it showed up before promised. And the best part is all worked perfectly. I couldn't have built one better myself.

weasel fierce
April 18th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Is it still cheaper to do it yourself these days, once you factor in shipping of parts etc?

Im pondering an upgrade in the near future and wondering what might be the best way to go.

K_45
April 18th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Is it still cheaper to do it yourself these days, once you factor in shipping of parts etc?

Im pondering an upgrade in the near future and wondering what might be the best way to go.

If you want only a Linux install, and don't play games (or only play older games), a build for $400-$500 or so is possible, minus the monitor.

weasel fierce
April 18th, 2011, 07:51 AM
If you want only a Linux install, and don't play games (or only play older games), a build for $400-$500 or so is possible, minus the monitor.

My game playing gets about as advanced as Trine and Shadowgrounds.. that sort of stuff. And yes, linux only :D

WHat sort of specs would be within a 500 dollar range ? Not counting peripherals like mouse, monitor and keyboard.

K_45
April 18th, 2011, 08:02 AM
My game playing gets about as advanced as Trine and Shadowgrounds.. that sort of stuff. And yes, linux only :D

WHat sort of specs would be within a 500 dollar range ? Not counting peripherals like mouse, monitor and keyboard.

These are older parts, as AMD is releasing Bulldozer with Fusion, but they are cheap, and they work, so:

CPU: AMD Athlon x4 645 - $110

RAM: Kingston Value RAM 4GB kit DDR3 1333MHz - $45 (I bought this too)

GPU: Onboard

HDD: Depends on your setup - SSD? HDD? 2 or 3 HDD's? I'd start (for HDD) with 1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB - $60

MOBO: Asrock 890GX Extreme 4 - $135 (SATA 6/USB 3)

CASE: Antec 200 - $50

PSU: Antec Earthwatts Green EA430D 430w - $50

Add your choice of keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Voila! $450

And a bottle of Wild Turkey for later:P

Aquix
April 18th, 2011, 08:12 AM
And what a smooth website. I might buy laptops from them here in europe. Use the windows oem price for postage, just to support a cool company.

weasel fierce
April 18th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks!

K_45
April 18th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks!

Don't forget you might get a sale and save a bit off those parts too. Xubuntu would be a great match for it too . . . .